Tim Stamps - Shaper of the Year

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
I have but made an error on previous post. It's a Roswell/OE mashup. I've had a lot of fun on it on some so so days. Haven't had it out on a really good day. It's my first mid/egg with a quad option which I'm really digging. It's maneuverability and just ease of smoother feeling turns compared to a 2+1 is very noticeable. Tims rails have a great feeling. I believe it would come alive in some lined up punchy walls.
Really addicted to the Banjo I got. Just so fun. Took it out on a strong offshore 4-6ft day at my favorite reef on Friday. Usually would of grabbed a HPSB but the Banjo is just so awesome. I always just wanna grab the Banjo now. YOLO arrival in Oct. pix
nice wtfo also! second from left is mashup right?

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
Anybody on here had an FX? I was thinking of getting one as a step down to my daily.
I know it's Tim's go-to for the small stuff. He says it's like cheating when you're generating speed, but it can still rip a turn.

I had a hard time trying to decide between that and what I eventually got, a Fuse to take over when my Flare is not in its wheelhouse. The Flare can grovel pretty well though.

Reactions: bigglesworth

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Fwiw when I was dd’ing my GX tim recommended the flare as the step down, and I agree.

I guess the more important question is what is your DD?

Reactions: JDJ
Dec 15, 2019
nice wtfo also! second from left is mashup right?
Yep mashup is 2nd from left....The wtfo is my GF. L-R..9'6 Hombre, 7'2 Roswell/OE, 6'9 WTFO, 5'9 Banjo. After getting these and working with Tim not sure I'm gonna go with any other shapers. Really great experience and boards. I'm already trying to figure out what I can fit in the quiver from him. A mini LB or glider for the lady and something kinda HP when just to much for the Banjo. Leaning towards a Rustler, but Flare and FX seem to be very popular here. I guess I'll see where Tim points me.

j_mac

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 16, 2020
Like many folks here, I got the Varial discount around December that was too good to pass up. My work was very busy at the time and missed the custom submission deadline. Paul and the gang at Varial were great and extended the offer for me for 1 day, but it couldn't be toward an Album. After reading the many positive reviews about the Flare from @ChaseTMP @sdsrfr amongst others, and chatting with @Aruka, I got the Varial stock 5' 8" Flare.

This is a pretty wide board for me, or at least I initially thought it was, and didn't connect with it right away and thought it was mistake and missed out in applying the discount to another board.

It sat for awhile and about a month ago, I tried it again but this time in better waves - shoulder high. F%$# the Flare is good. I didn't want to believe the kool-aid, but everything stated about the board is accurate. My surfing has never been better, and it is consistently better. After surfing lots of twins/quads, I am digging the thruster. I have been so-so with some my other thruster attempts. And, my surfing is the most engaged on this board.

I reached out to Tim for a custom that grew into a couple customs. Again, as stated by others, he is super easy to deal with and provides good feedback.

Last edited:

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
I got back on my Flare this am after a fin box re-repair. The 1st repair (by a respected local shaper) had the repaired box’s cant off by two degrees. It looked fine to the eye but didn’t have magic quality I remembered.

Who knows what the issue was. Maybe the repair stands were out of level or the shaper’s lackey didn’t think someone would notice if things weren’t perfect.

Tim verified the cant was off and I got it fixed by another repair person. It’s now back to 99% back to its original feel.

Such an easy bort to do whatever your ability allows. My 5’8 never feels it 20” width. I don’t think any of my borts have been > 19.25” and the fact the Flare can react so quickly at its width is a testament to Tim’s design ability IMHO.