Tim Stamps - Shaper of the Year

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
hmmmm

flare or rerun in old man dimz 6’0
I haven't ridden a rerun and don't really know anything about them. For me....Flare without a doubt. I think the big one I'm riding is EPS 6x20 3/4x2 3/4...although it may be even wider. It's so good.

I haven't surfed much in CA over the past few years. I'll hit Mugu if the swell and winds are right in the late Summer / Fall or if the winds stay off it the south county beaches mostly in the winter. Even Oxnard Shores is a sh!t show now. Just a bunch of adult learners going over the falls or floating around everywhere. I developed this chip on my shoulder where I felt like I had to prove I could still surf like I did 20 years ago...which I mostly can but it gets exhausting...competing for set waves jockeying...it wasn't very fun. I went on a trip last year an traded boards with one of my buddies for a couple waves...which turned into a couple hours and then I was constantly asking him if he was going to ride his High-5. It was 6'1 wide and thick and a blast. I would drop in and get so far down the wave face and just do these long fast cutbacks over and over again. Long bottom turns long top turns. It was awesome. He also had what is now called the G Skate in blown up dimensions and it was even better....like a longer railed Pod.

The Flare is such a perfect rocker and bottom I think Tim can do whatever you want with it as long as the outline doesn't get too far away from normal. I bought the big Flare off a buddy who moved to Texas. I've been meaning to get down to see Tim and show it to him and see about some minor tweaks.

I'll always have a regular Flare and Blindspot but I've started looking forward to surfing again by having a couple boards that are different and give you access to a lot more of the wave without being hybrid or whatever.

On thing to point out. I'm not friends with Tim....I'm just a customer but I mean...doing business with Tim..... always honest..always on time...always the extra mile in customer service.... and as skilled as anyone else you're going to find. There's a very short list of guys I get boards from....it's Tim and Robert. I have other boards but if I'm going to order a custom I know with an email I can get what I want, and it's going to be right.

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
Evidently Varial’s hotcoater was out sick and my carbonara Fuse should deliver tomorrow. They missed the note about an opaque gray tint on the original one and got the remake turned around very quickly.

Tim is probably my go to custom board maker from here on out. I have close friends that are well respected shapers, but they’re concentrating on more retro-types of shapes which I’m hoping to avoid as long as my body holds together at 51.

I’ll second, third and fourth peeps’ comments about the Flare being about as good of DD as I can imagine for Southern California beachbreaks.

Several of Redondo High’s surf team frequent my local daily and it’s fun to be able to feel like I can hang for the most part, outside of doing an air on almost every wave like the school’s top three.

It’s pretty sad the current state of sponsorships. The company I do architectural sales for did Pat Tenore’s windows and doors for his new Newport home.

Pat being an amazing human, always wants to help people out and put me in touch with RVCA’s team manager about getting a ripper at RUHS a hook up.

Long story longer, with the pending sale of Boardrider’s, they’re not signing any new talent. The kid would be stocked with some flow, but without a crazy amount of IG followers there isn’t any incentive for large companies to hook kids up anymore. This 14 year old kid consistently makes (and wins) finals in NSSA events and only has some random flip flop company’s sticker on his bort.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: JDJ and Havoc

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
The deck side color inconsistency by the nose is from a wrinkle during vacuum-bagging. It’s just an aesthetic thing that will be covered by wax and Varial said it’s hard to avoid with tinted carbon.

Feels amazing under the arm. Definitely my lightest bort ever (which I love). It’s more light gray than the photos show. The clouds are coming in by the windows letting the light in. D6AF8E68-AF26-4767-BC92-C6F0377140DD.jpeg169862D2-767E-4950-A5AB-ACCBA9C40A3C.jpeg73AC406F-715F-40AD-97FD-70AAECECF478.jpeg

Dec 15, 2019
Looking for a new step-down and debating FLARE, disco cheater, and rocket wide. anyone care to bite? all have similar stock dims with the exception of flare being a touch wider as referenced above. surfing sh!t oc beach breaks 90% of time
Been emailing Tim last few days. I'm looking for a step-upish I guess?? My DD is a 5'9 Banjo keel. Just always maxing my fishes. I think we are gonna do a Rerun/Flare mash. Rerun deck profile with Flare curves & contours 6'0x20.5x2.68 I'm 49 5'11 180...Not for CA beachies but for PR reefs. That's where he's kind of steered me and probably gonna go with it.

Last edited:

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
fwiw I ordered my 5’6 banjo and 5’9 flare at the same time and I pretty much surfed one or the other for 2 years. keep in mind we didn’t have a significant winter swell (that I was able to surf) over those winters in SD.

sizzld1

Phil Edwards status
Mar 31, 2009
How do the cabron venerials hold up? I'm usually open to alternate tech, but the pressure dings/dents in normal Varial boards have kept me away...even if they can be fixed with a heat gun.

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
How do the cabron venerials hold up? I'm usually open to alternate tech, but the pressure dings/dents in normal Varial boards have kept me away...even if they can be fixed with a heat gun.
@Aruka can probably shed some light on that. I’ll know in a few weeks.

It was 9.3 ft at 13 seconds a few hours ago and the wind laid down for a little bit (around 3:30 PST) so I ran out and caught a few.

I wanted to take the Fuse out for its debut, but I needed every bit of my 6’ Ghost to get into the waves on offer.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
they still dent but less than poly glassed. i rode the crap out of my carbon plasmic for about a year and it has some pretty good deck denting under both feet. the bottom is still clean though which is what mostly matters to me.

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
Looks sick. Need a cordoruy tail pad for the tweeeed jacket professor steez.
I hear ya, but I’m pretty committed to the Pro-Lite V2 Micro Dot pads. The Fuse’s tail is fairly wide, so I had to grab a Josh Kerr pad instead of my favorite Ridgeline one to get decent coverage without having to space things out too much. The Navy 5-piece Kerr pad has the V2 Micro Dot. I don’t love how pronounced the arch is, but those extra two pieces help fill the tail width perfectly.

bigglesworth

Legend (inyourownmind)
Mar 8, 2017
My 6'6" TKF continues to impress. By rights it should be a boat (got it to come back after an injury) but somehow it never feels too floaty. Even precise at times.

Got a Rerun+Next Step Rerun on the way but I think I may turning into a fish guy in the autumn of my life. Sawhorses in the parking lot and Sprout on DVD next, I guess

slipped_disc

Billy Hamilton status
Jun 27, 2019
i've been combing through this thread and tim's site trying to scheme up a two-board quiver for my tall, lanky self. i know that most of this thread is fully flared, but was thinking these conditions might warrant something different.

mostly gutless point waves with occasional sections that pop up for a flash
Allz i want is that glidey and twitchy, responsive feeling. I've been on a quantum quad in these waves which def has that glide... but at 21" wide she's a boat; and lacks that super reactive twitchy feel. i was thinking about a skinny fuse or decibel.

punchier reefs and beaches
Imperfect chest to overhead surf with push, with occasional flat spots and warble. Would love something fast that can project out in front of wave and keep speed into a turn. There's generally current, so paddling would be important. The Spark Plug, Giggle Box or Habanero were looking noice.

anyone have experience with any of these boards?

Last edited:

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
i've been combing through this thread and tim's site trying to scheme up a two-board quiver for my tall, lanky self. what do you dudes think of these ideas?

mostly gutless point waves with occasional sections that pop up for a flash
Allz i want is that glidey and twitchy, responsive feeling. I've been on a quantum quad in these waves which def has that glide... but at 21" wide she's a boat; and lacks that super reactive twitchy feel. especially when you're flying. i was thinking about a skinny fuse or decibel. it seems like this thread is fully flared, and i was considering that but i was also assuming most of you are riding them in different conditions like fun socal beach break.

punchier reefs and beaches
Imperfect chest to overhead surf with push, with occasional flat spots and warble. Would love something fast that can project out in front of wave and keep speed into a turn. There's generally current, so paddling would be important. The Spark Plug, Giggle Box or Habanero were looking noice.
For the waves you describe I went with:

Flare and GX combo.

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
For second box, If you like stubby boards, would go with Flare or GX. If you like a longer rail line, would go with a Giggle Box and order two to three inches longer than Gx or Flare.

Reactions: sdsrfr