this. is. BMX.

twinzerfan

Michael Peterson status
Oct 26, 2006
Floriduh
Dredging up this thread as it was the only BMX thread that the search found….

just getting back into it after 25+ years. Feels good and surprisingly I’m not the only old guy at the parks!

any of you guys still riding?

Ranga

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 31, 2008
Dredging up this thread as it was the only BMX thread that the search found….

just getting back into it after 25+ years. Feels good and surprisingly I’m not the only old guy at the parks!

any of you guys still riding?
I have a 24 inch Dyno with TuffWheels, but I don't ride it much. The dirt jumpers are where it's at for me. But I'm 50-something, and the fear of getting tangled up in the bike midair means I keep wheels on the ground mostly.

Reactions: Havoc

twinzerfan

Michael Peterson status
Oct 26, 2006
Floriduh
I have a 24 inch Dyno with TuffWheels, but I don't ride it much. The dirt jumpers are where it's at for me. But I'm 50-something, and the fear of getting tangled up in the bike midair means I keep wheels on the ground mostly.

i hear you. I’m 50 too, I mountain bike a lot and converted an old Hardrock into a jumper/pump track bike. Definitely more comfortable on the bigger bikes, but my dumb @@@ sold my 24” and got a used SE Everyday to ride parks with my kid.

It’s funny how my mind says “you got this!” But my body says “oh no you don’t!”

Northern_Shores

Miki Dora status
Mar 30, 2009
A bmx thread on the forum!?

I happen to also be a weekly cyclist. Saturday and/or Sunday mornings from 0930 until 11:00! All my life I had dreamt of owning a trick bike, so December 2021 I bough one for $50 at the second hand site (A Craigslist, but better). This weekend I learnt feeble grind on a curb :)

I can do 180s too, but I must learn them better. Wanna do 360s off of stuff, but I really don't want to get smoked.

At Youtube I watch Tall Order and Scotty Cranmer. I like Tall Order the most, as Scotty's channel is too abusive with injuries and stuff. His end game was blasting his brain to sh!t :/ Not the way a sport/hobby is supposed to go.

twinzerfan

Michael Peterson status
Oct 26, 2006
Floriduh
I still ride weekly. I'm 48 but it's only a number I suppose. Falling hurts though. I try not to fall. ha

View attachment 143292

that’s awesome! I was at the local park this weekend and met yet another dad who got back into it with his kids.

It’s great to see older people still enjoying their lives. I know so many 50 year olds that are just waiting to die by being lazy.

I just have a hard time committing to airing out at the moment. I know I can my body just won’t let me, lol. Only been serious about a month, so can’t complain.

still, it’s fun doing transfers, jumping the boxes, carving bowls, and hitting the pump tracks. Brings back so many memories…

Reactions: Belchfire1

Belchfire1

Nep status
Jun 27, 2013
Encinitas
that’s awesome! I was at the local park this weekend and met yet another dad who got back into it with his kids.

It’s great to see older people still enjoying their lives. I know so many 50 year olds that are just waiting to die by being lazy.

I just have a hard time committing to airing out at the moment. I know I can my body just won’t let me, lol. Only been serious about a month, so can’t complain.

still, it’s fun doing transfers, jumping the boxes, carving bowls, and hitting the pump tracks. Brings back so many memories…
Thats awesome, man. Where are you riding? It's nice seeing other older guys riding and having fun.
At our ages we have nothing to prove anymore. Such a good feeling vs feeling like you gotta huck it every time to keep up with the other kids. I'm just glad to get out of bed every morning and hopefully not be too sore.

Reactions: rowjimmytour

twinzerfan

Michael Peterson status
Oct 26, 2006
Floriduh
Thats awesome, man. Where are you riding? It's nice seeing other older guys riding and having fun.
At our ages we have nothing to prove anymore. Such a good feeling….

I’m in south Florida. We go to Haulover pump track, Lot 11, Tamarac, and looking at Abacoa in Jupiter. There’s a few spots around but most are not open to bikes.

It is great though. There seem to be a lot of older guys down here that still rip and keep up with the kids.

I’m just into going fast and while I like jumps, just need to get over the block with airing put and landing in the same spot. Totally different than clearing gaps, lol

twinzerfan

Michael Peterson status
Oct 26, 2006
Floriduh
Edit: one fun thing is re-learning how geometry works…. Definitely need to switch to a longer top tube than the 20” I’m currently riding

Reactions: SlicedFeet

Belchfire1

Nep status
Jun 27, 2013
Encinitas
Edit: one fun thing is re-learning how geometry works…. Definitely need to switch to a longer top tube than the 20” I’m currently riding
Yup a longer top tube is critical 21" is what I use but some friends swear by 21.25 or 21.5
Also be careful when it come to headtube angles anything steeper than 74.5 or 75 is for the kids.
Rear ends shorter than 13.25 is also asking for trouble.
Looping out is a real possibility.
S&M and FIT make really good stuff that is well suited for older guys.

twinzerfan

Michael Peterson status
Oct 26, 2006
Floriduh
Yup a longer top tube is critical 21" is what I use but some friends swear by 21.25 or 21.5
Also be careful when it come to headtube angles anything steeper than 74.5 or 75 is for the kids.
Rear ends shorter than 13.25 is also asking for trouble.
Looping out is a real possibility.
S&M and FIT make really good stuff that is well suited for older guys.
thanks for that. I understand a bit thankfully from mountain biking, but BMX geo is a little tighter - literally. amazing how much a .25” or .5 degree difference makes…. A lot less forgiveness than a mtb.

I found a 21” Kink Backwoods frame that I’m going to swap parts to, and probably get some 8.5-9” bars. Just wanted something stable, for carving and jumps, not into the tech stuff too much.

Its amazing the choices available today versus 15-20 years ago…

also satisfies the motorcycle urges in a way too

Northern_Shores

Miki Dora status
Mar 30, 2009
Proof of my meager BMXering. The problem with this hobby is that it's about as clever as going skiing on concrete. Way worse than skateboarding. The back wheel has fucked me over a fair few times, so I'm not gonna have it caught on top of a quarter one more time :/
1670444645428.png

My bike cost $50. I painted it red, got Tall Order stickers and frame badge, also I have a gold color chain :love:

Last edited:

twinzerfan

Michael Peterson status
Oct 26, 2006
Floriduh
The problem with this hobby is that it's about as clever as going skiing on concrete. Way worse than skateboarding. The back wheel has fucked me over a fair few times, so I'm not gonna have it caught on top of a quarter one more time :/
yeah buddy, the slams are WAY worse than when I was skateboarding at a high level. Way worse…..

Reactions: Northern_Shores

Belchfire1

Nep status
Jun 27, 2013
Encinitas
Proof of my meager BMXering. The problem with this hobby is that it's about as clever as going skiing on concrete. Way worse than skateboarding. The back wheel has fucked me over a fair few times, so I'm not gonna have it caught on top of a quarter one more time :/
View attachment 143436

My bike cost $50. I painted it red, got Tall Order stickers and frame badge, also I have a gold color chain :love:
Fuggin Awesome!!! Love this Chit. Onward and upward