this. is. BMX.

theramrod

Nep status
Nov 14, 2014
N Cackalaki
leighcan_743.jpg
This was the absolute state of the art when I was riding -- eight feet out, one (sometimes two) limbs extended. Today, the bike would be spinning, no hands, no feet, three body English variations before landing a grind on the coping of the ramp behind him.
You explained me watching my brother back in the 80's and 90's. Here's an old pic of him.

• Wow
Reactions: santacruzin

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
I was a dirty kid. Had some pretty mean skills for a 10 year old in 1980. BMX filled in between my skateboarding from the 70's period to my skateboarding from the 80's and I discovered Boogyboards and skimboards. Good times then I had the 7' Gerry Lopez singlefin. Sold my Race Incorporated for 15 joints and never looked back.
Where? I did same here in Goleta we had a track at stow park and local bike shop "bicycle ltd" sponsored me and gave me race shirt and pants. Before skated Sparks off storke behind fosters and then Aloha burgers:)

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
Is BMX racing still a thing and if so, do they go any faster than we could in the 80's, with the new ultra light frames and components?

grundy

Legend (inyourownmind)
Dec 16, 2005
although not a big BMX guy, I thoroughly enjoyed Go Fast Pull Up, you guys should check it out if you haven't done so already:

Reactions: Belchfire1

Belchfire1

Nep status
Jun 27, 2013
Encinitas
His name is Leigh Ramsdell, 90's pro. Still rides though he's more into table tops than flairs and dbl bar spins.

Loving this BMX thread, also agree w/ Grundy on the 'Go Fast Pull Up' video. It's a damn good watch.
Ha, I know your bro. We used to hang out at contests etc in the 90's. Had breakfast with him at X Games a couple years back. Such a funny, humble and talented guy. I miss seeing him. I was part of the FBM bikes crew back then. Tell him Crazy Joe says wassup

Reactions: theramrod

SlicedFeet

Miki Dora status
Dec 17, 2004
Swarm Diego
Check out @Deadendbmx on insta. Steve Woodward from east San Diego but now I think he’s in New Mexico. Don’t have insta anymore but his videos are rad.

TeamScam

Miki Dora status
Jan 14, 2002
Mid-Atlantic
Was ABA MD2 #'s 757, 173, and 38 by the time our scene washed up. I didn't have alot of family support so I would have to bum rides, cut grass for race fees etc.
With the skating background it was a natural transition to surfing, and I had zero support there as well. Luckily my friends all had very supportive parents. I would definitely be long dead if I hadn't

TeamScam

Miki Dora status
Jan 14, 2002
Mid-Atlantic
Fallen in love with the ocean. Always calling me back when hard partying and bad scenes threatened to take it away... But yeah BMX was a good life to live.

Reactions: Belchfire1

theramrod

Nep status
Nov 14, 2014
N Cackalaki
Ha, I know your bro. We used to hang out at contests etc in the 90's. Had breakfast with him at X Games a couple years back. Such a funny, humble and talented guy. I miss seeing him. I was part of the FBM bikes crew back then. Tell him Crazy Joe says wassup
I texted Leigh your wassup msg and he said "Cool, it's been a while". He then followed up w/ he was at Whipsnake at the moment. Whipsnake is a private/invite only skatepark in the woods of SC. I went there once a few years ago and the place is crazy. Pictures don't do it justice. It's perfect for those that love a carving line. Leigh was there with the Mongoose team (he's the Team Manager), hope to see a video drop soon. Here's pics he posted.IMG_8648.jpgIMG_8647.jpgIMG_8646.jpgIMG_8645.jpg

Belchfire1

Nep status
Jun 27, 2013
Encinitas
I texted Leigh your wassup msg and he said "Cool, it's been a while". He then followed up w/ he was at Whipsnake at the moment. Whipsnake is a private/invite only skatepark in the woods of SC. I went there once a few years ago and the place is crazy. Pictures don't do it justice. It's perfect for those that love a carving line. Leigh was there with the Mongoose team (he's the Team Manager), hope to see a video drop soon. Here's pics he posted.View attachment 99534View attachment 99535View attachment 99536View attachment 99537
That place looks rad. I saw these pics on insta, too. Small world, hahaha. If you find yourself in SD, hit me up for a surf.

Reactions: theramrod