The Ranch to get public access?

Bohter

Michael Peterson status
Mar 7, 2006
Does a flat earth make the walk in easier?
The earth changed shape?
The answer is no...it does not....walk in is hard....so very hard....but I'll be needing a bigger OB to get over that hump of water between Gaviota and Govies.

SteveT

Phil Edwards status
Apr 11, 2005
Imagine the sense of grief and the pain of loss aversion for those guys who had it to themselves.
They hardly had it to themselves.
Just read the breaking news on the home page.
Absolutely makes me sick, and, I haven't surfed there in 15 years.
Oh great, another pristine area opened to be loved to death.
BTW Surfer Mag guys, why are you showing a photo of Government Point, that's in BIXBY RANCH?

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Imagine the sense of grief and the pain of loss aversion for those guys who had it to themselves.

Such mental anguish being a rich white Hollister Ranch landowner and coming to the realization "It's a sad day...one thing our race seems to consistently be good at, taking people’s land and fucking it up."

That's right folks, it's racial too!

It must be hard to be a rich world traveling white guy watching your private land access be ripped away from you by the guy you voted for.:ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL::LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL::LOL::LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: rowjimmytour

MitchellC

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 28, 2016
I co-owned a boat for 2 years before graduating from UCSB and joining the "real world". Actually, calling a 1960s era lake shell with -0- draft and an old Johnson 30 a boat is a bit of a stretch. Still, when you're young & dumb, wearing your wetsuit the whole way - in case it capsized - didn't seem that stressful. Even getting the stupid thing in/out on the winch during large swells didn't seem like a big deal at the time. It's only now when I look back that I realize we were sort of crazy. LOL

Anyway, over the ensuing years I would either periodically hitch a boat ride or actually gain drive-in access. During this whole time, I was certainly aware of the extremely negative and essentially self-destructive behavior of the lower tier owners. But when you're 20, who gives a sh!t, right? All old people - anyone over 30 - are just this blank blend of 'authority' figures who really don't matter if it's you vs them getting waves.

But when you're 45+, and you see the same type of regressive, anti-social behavior, I actually began to feel pity. I mean, you get one chance at life, and that's how your daily outlook and experience is going to be governed? No family, no friends, no social network - just burned out pot head grumps slowly wasting away, pissed off at everybody invading their space.

For the record, I'm against opening access, but realize that's pretty hypocritical. OTOH, big crowds haven't really ruined the Lane, Rincon or other quality winter spots. The best surfers still get the best waves, the areas remain very clean with no/little trash or debris. Meanwhile, the general vibe is pretty mellow - especially with the addition of all the families and kids.

However,, slowly but surely, the last vestiges of 60s California with limited access and small crowds is finely yielding to the future. As someone who still surfs every opportunity while firmly living in the "real world", it's really not that bad. I don't think anyone who grew up in the prior eras can make any claim that it's not cleaner, safer, and generally more pleasant these days.

SteveT

Phil Edwards status
Apr 11, 2005
Why do you think the owners are dickheads? Do you personally know any?
You obviously haven't surrfed there or had to deal with any of them.
Anyone remember good 'ol Arney? He once punched the nose of his board into my friend Matt M's sturnum causing a pretty bad injury, he did jail time for that one.

• Wow
Reactions: rowjimmytour

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
RE: landowners being dickheads

RE: Locals/regulars at any spot being dickheads

Can you really blame them?

Doesn't surfing need more dickheads?

I mean, fuck.

The older I get and the more I travel other places it seems like the spots where the locals are dickheads are the most pleasant to surf.

I'm not talking about being an asshole to be an asshole.

I'm talking about guys who surf there regularly that are willing to tune someone up who steps out of line.

These places still exist outside the mainland US.

There is way to much fuckery/entitlement in surfing today.

If you've ever seen a usually structured lineup completely collapse into chaos when the locals aren't around you know what I mean.

There is NOTHING to gain by surfing losing territorial dickheads. Nothing.

I get the feeling if you look down on that kind of behavior either you're just not that into surfing anymore or maybe a kook in the water.

The "no family, no friends, no social network - just burned out pot head grumps slowly wasting away, pissed off at everybody invading their space" are guys that a very much still into surfing but have had enough of the kookery.

Try to see it from their perspective.

Last edited:

surfysurfy1476

Nep status
Jan 27, 2018
You obviously haven't surrfed there or had to deal with any of them.
Anyone remember good 'ol Arney? He once punched the nose of his board into my friend Matt M's sturnum causing a pretty bad injury, he did jail time for that one.
So one guy... who's been dead for 20+ year....

@MitchellC so crowds didn't ruin rincon or anywhere else?.... lmao. I wanna see you on a set wave at rincon, sandspit or el cap then.

SteveT

Phil Edwards status
Apr 11, 2005
What precipitated that event?
Have no idea, Matt M. for one is probably the mellowest guys I've ever known in and out of the water, he didn't snake him or anything else. Matt told me he just paddled up to him and buried the tail of his board and let it go.
Arnie, on the other hand, was probably the most bitter MF'r I've ever encountered at the Ranch, or at the Islands for that matter.
Just weird.
Not just him, My friend's and I have just gotten out and motored off to some other spot up the line when certain individuals paddled out. It's just how it worked. R&L and LD for some reason was especially bad.
Renny's, Auggies, John's Pond, L&R were often better w/o the drama.
This is nothing new, it'was always that way going back many decades