The Ranch to get public access?

surfysurfy1476

Nep status
Jan 27, 2018
Have no idea, Matt M. for one is probably the mellowest guys I've ever known in and out of the water, he didn't snake him or anything else. Matt told me he just paddled up to him and buried the tail of his board and let it go.
Arnie, on the other hand, was probably the most bitter MF'r I've ever encountered at the Ranch, or at the Islands for that matter.
Just weird.
Not just him, My friend's and I have just gotten out and motored off to some other spot up the line when certain individuals paddled out. It's just how it worked. R&L and LD for some reason was especially bad.
Renny's, Auggies, John's Pond, L&R were often better w/o the drama.
This is nothing new, it'was always that way going back many decades
You are talking about one guy who was a major asshole that no one liked and has been gone for 20+ years. The rules then are the same as the rules now, no boats at two spots, the rest is wide open. The fact that you say "for some reason" it was especially bad at RL and LD, and that it was you and your friends there (at those two spots), shows that you just dont get it.

everysurfer

Phil Edwards status
Sep 9, 2013
Santa Barbara County
RE: landowners being dickheads

RE: Locals/regulars at any spot being dickheads

Can you really blame them?

Doesn't surfing need more dickheads?

I mean, fook.

The older I get and the more I travel other places it seems like the spots where the locals are dickheads are the most pleasant to surf.

I'm not talking about being an asshole to be an asshole.

I'm talking about guys who surf there regularly that are willing to tune someone up who steps out of line.

These places still exist outside the mainland US.

There is way to much fuckery/entitlement in surfing today.

If you've ever seen a usually structured lineup completely collapse into chaos when the locals aren't around you know what I mean.

There is NOTHING to gain by surfing losing territorial dickheads. Nothing.

I get the feeling if you look down on that kind of behavior either you're just not that into surfing anymore or maybe a kook in the water.

The "no family, no friends, no social network - just burned out pot head grumps slowly wasting away, pissed off at everybody invading their space" are guys that a very much still into surfing but have had enough of the kookery.

Try to see it from their perspective.
See, that right there is why you have Duterte

SteveT

Phil Edwards status
Apr 11, 2005
You are talking about one guy who was a major asshole that no one liked and has been gone for 20+ years. The rules then are the same as the rules now, no boats at two spots, the rest is wide open. The fact that you say "for some reason" it was especially bad at RL and LD, and that it was you and your friends there (at those two spots), shows that you just dont get it.
Are you Frkn' kidding' me?
Who are you, Mr, Ranch local?
You have NO IDEA how much time I have spent up there, and, the crazy $hit we went through to surf God's land.
Did you ever... encounter this POS? I have. Floyd is THE worse POS I have ever dealt with
Good stories, that, no-one will ever be able to share.
Ask me about treks into Bixby from Jalama, ala, the train tracks and being busted by Mr. RM 250, hand cannon Floyd.
Keep the Hollister Ranch, and Bixby Ranch closed to all of you POS's public access. Keep to your over-crowded Surf spots.
Rant Over.

surfysurfy1476

Nep status
Jan 27, 2018
Floyd wasnt even HR. I think we're on the same team here anyways. Im pushing back against the "Ranchers are dicks therefore open it up to the public" narrative. Imagine the sh!t show some day when 30+ guys try to surf overhead barrels at a spot that barely holds 10 people.

keenfish

Duke status
May 12, 2002
Trona
www.pbase.com
I got to drive in one time.

Conditions weren't ideal but still good enough.

Surfed RB's with no one else but the two others I went with.

Beautiful place.

I hope they are able to keep it that way.

BTW, that one time was 1983 fwiw.

Last edited:

ringer

Tom Curren status
Aug 2, 2002
Huntington Beach, California
Worse than mcmansions?
No, but the Hollister people are couching themselves as stewards of pristine lands, when in reality it has been a cattle farm for a long time, which tends to degrade claims that the property is pristine. I do agree that there will be lawsuits and appellate court decisions before the state can enforce this new law, if the Hollister folks intend to challenge it, which they will, if history is any guide.

Last edited:

SteveT

Phil Edwards status
Apr 11, 2005
Floyd wasn't even HR. I think we're on the same team here anyways. I'm pushing back against the "Ranchers are dicks therefore open it up to the public" narrative. Imagine the sh!t show some day when 30+ guys try to surf a spot that barely holds 10 people.
I Know, that Mr. F, wasn't part of the HR faction, but, he was, in the Bixby part.
I shared at extent, the fond memory of Mr. Floyd holding me, and, my friend at GUN POINT at Govie's, and taking our boards, only to be bounced around in the bed of his truck for a week, until we showed up on Sunday night the week later at Jalama.
The only other option was for him to knock the fins off, and let us go on our way, carrying them the 8 mi. hike back to Jalama on the tracks (no bariner)
Oh, the stories.
Too bad you guys will NEVER have those great adventures, I'm VERY happy, I got to experience some of the greatest times of my surfing life, in a place that will never be the same again. Have fun trekkin' in with every freak'n knucklehead from SD to OC/LA and North and beyond. You will NEVER know how great this part of the coast was, and, the crowds that will eventually show up, will, like, any other area opened to the public become a total $hitshow.
Like I said, I've not surfed HR or Bixby in 15 years, and, I do have 2 friends that has 1/10th parcels, but, it's a PITA to surf there as a guest. It's actually, easier to boat up from SB and fish/surf from the ocean and anchor-up in the Parker off Augies or Cojo.
Oh, I've no idea what I'm talking about (foreheadslap slap)

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
There are two petitions going around to recall Governor Newsom.

There are 39 million people living in CA.

It takes something like 1 million signatures to have the recall on the ballot.

If the you see a petition, sign it.

surfysurfy1476

Nep status
Jan 27, 2018
I Know, that Mr. F, wasn't part of the HR faction, but, he was, in the Bixby part.
I shared at extent, the fond memory of Mr. Floyd holding me, and, my friend at GUN POINT at Govie's, and taking our boards, only to be bounced around in the bed of his truck for a week, until we showed up on Sunday night the week later at Jalama.
The only other option was for him to knock the fins off, and let us go on our way, carrying them the 8 mi. hike back to Jalama on the tracks (no bariner)
Oh, the stories.
Too bad you guys will NEVER have those great adventures, I'm VERY happy, I got to experience some of the greatest times of my surfing life, in a place that will never be the same again. Have fun trekkin' in with every freak'n knucklehead from SD to OC/LA and North and beyond. You will NEVER know how great this part of the coast was, and, the crowds that will eventually show up, will, like, any other area opened to the public become a total $hitshow.
Like I said, I've not surfed HR or Bixby in 15 years, and, I do have 2 friends that has 1/10th parcels, but, it's a PITA to surf there as a guest. It's actually, easier to boat up from SB and fish/surf from the ocean and anchor-up in the Parker off Augies or Cojo.
Oh, I've no idea what I'm talking about (foreheadslap slap)
Are you the guy who had the article in surfers journal about that?

No, but the Hollister people are couching themselves as stewards of pristine lands, when in reality it has been a cattle farm for a long time, which tends to degrade claims that the property is pristine. I do agree that there will be lawsuits and appellate court decisions before the state can enforce this new law, if the Hollister folks intend to challenge it, which they will, if history is any guide.
The land is pristine. Its not a massive cattle operation.

SteveT

Phil Edwards status
Apr 11, 2005
There are two petitions going around to recall Governor Newsom.

There are 39 million people living in CA.

It takes something like 1 million signatures to have the recall on the ballot.

If the you see a petition, sign it.
I'll sign, as well as every friend I know.
Kinda like when Western LNG tried to set up a terminal at Cojo in the early 80's. Crazy $hit!
How 'bout this? Lets put up a break wall and terminal in one of the most volatile weather (and earthquake prone) areas in the U.S. (Cape Horn of the Pacific) to bring in tankers over 1000'+ feet to off-load LNG?
I was VERY involved in that campaign, getting signatures and informing people of the dangers and environmental impact it would have, as well as the fact, they were digging up ancient burial grounds of the Chumash people (The Western Gate) at Cojo.
Keep the HR Ranch Private (as well as Bixby)
You may not agree, but this may be just as bad. as WLNG, just human scourge instead.

SteveT

Phil Edwards status
Apr 11, 2005
I invite anyone to ask me about this deal about Western LNG.
It's not just about gaining access to (so called) rich land owner's land, it's about keeping the scourge of crowds from ruining a pristine piece of coastline that would only lose in the long-run if it were given unfettered access.
Face it - You wanna-be, I-want-in folks, it will be, in the long-run,YOU, the one's that ruin it. Can't wait to hear some asswipe from LA or for god's sakes, OC or SD complain about the crowds and locals who are a little unfriendly. DUH.
You guys from up North, SC and above, we're cool. :)

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
The Ranch is like a crazily hot chick -- you know you will probably never get to bang her but it's somehow comforting to know she's out there and somebody else is all over it.
And the guys that did bang her are now happily married with kids, and memories. Meanwhile the hot chick is aging and loose, and about to be in the biggest gang-bang of all time.

JBerry

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 8, 2017
I don't really care either way. If its opened up, I'll surely drive in, surf, spend the day, enjoy.
If it stays private, that's fine too, cause you know, it's a pretty good drive just to get there.
I've done that drive many times, and gotten skunked for surf, totally sucks cause your amped the whole way there, and then nothing!! Also done the drive and scored, too!
Either way, if its opened up, we can bet it will be a totally different experience. Probably wouldn't even be able to drive on the beach, which takes a chunk of lazy people out of the equation. Also, probably just a bunch of lookey loos hanging out enjoying nature, too.
My friend who lived there for over 18 yrs was my in. He never really fit in with the 'grumpo group', (a handful or 2 of 12th's or 1/3rds owners that pretty much just surf R/L and LD, act like they own it, stink eye forever type guys, but reasonably nice once you got to know them.)Those guys pretty much just went there every single day to those 2 spots. Stared at you when driving up or past. Said things to get you to leave. Mild harrasment, etc. They gave no fooks about anything, just wanted to surf those 2 waves and not share with anyone. When we surfed at those spots, there was always an edge, but really good waves, but still that edge of uncertainty when those guys were around, which wasn't nearly as fun as the perfect wave you could catch. I'd just paddle across the channel solo and score a different wave many times to avoid the vibe, or we'd go to another spot and have just as much fun. Always enjoyed driving on the beach, which is pretty much the only place to do that other than pismo dunes, but equally felt weird to do.
Anyways, its outta sight outta mind for me these days. Good luck to those that live there and to those that hope to go there. Now I give 0 fooks too!! lol :shaka:

SteveT

Phil Edwards status
Apr 11, 2005
I don't really care either way. If its opened up, I'll surely drive in, surf, spend the day, enjoy.
If it stays private, that's fine too, cause you know, it's a pretty good drive just to get there.
I've done that drive many times, and gotten skunked for surf, totally sucks cause your amped the whole way there, and then nothing!! Also done the drive and scored, too!
Either way, if its opened up, we can bet it will be a totally different experience. Probably wouldn't even be able to drive on the beach, which takes a chunk of lazy people out of the equation. Also, probably just a bunch of lookey loos hanging out enjoying nature, too.
My friend who lived there for over 18 yrs was my in. He never really fit in with the 'grumpo group', (a handful or 2 of 12th's or 1/3rds owners that pretty much just surf R/L and LD, act like they own it, stink eye forever type guys, but reasonably nice once you got to know them.)Those guys pretty much just went there every single day to those 2 spots. Stared at you when driving up or past. Said things to get you to leave. Mild harrasment, etc. They gave no fooks about anything, just wanted to surf those 2 waves and not share with anyone. When we surfed at those spots, there was always an edge, but really good waves, but still that edge of uncertainty when those guys were around, which wasn't nearly as fun as the perfect wave you could catch. I'd just paddle across the channel solo and score a different wave many times to avoid the vibe, or we'd go to another spot and have just as much fun. Always enjoyed driving on the beach, which is pretty much the only place to do that other than pismo dunes, but equally felt weird to do.
Anyways, its outta sight outta mind for me these days. Good luck to those that live there and to those that hope to go there. Now I give 0 fooks too!! lol :shaka:
Hey Mr. Berry, we've probably surfed together at some time, at one of those spots.
One of the other great things we always did, was make sure we had some rods with us and catch some Calico's or rock fish out at the old Drake platform with some skampies, we actually went up on that thing and explored it before it was torn down.
Like I said earlier, if, Arnie, or one of the other butt-licks showed up. we'd just pull anchor and split, just to come back later and score it after said assholes had bailed, just the way we worked it.
Glad I, and my friends got it back in the day for many years.
And, BTW, you pussies, you will never know what it's like pumping up a 13' Avon on the beach at dawn in 30+ mile-an-hour offshore winds at 30 degree temps in wetsuits with gloves and booties and hooking up a 25 horse outboard on the sand and punching through a 6' shore break after our great friends up the road had poured resin into the coin slot at the hoist.
Once again, you can go there, it just takes a little effort.
Got a TON of great stories surfing up there for many years.
Let's start a Ranch Stories thread,
Oh, wait, maybe I'll start one on the main board.
(need the drunk guy emoticon here)

Sorry