The Ranch to get public access?

surfysurfy1476

Nep status
Jan 27, 2018
Article says they want picnic tables and bathrooms.

Absolutely it will be ruined.

And I guarantee you that those going to meetings clamoring for “access” will never set foot there.

This is all based purely on envy.

You have to drive by the entire (publicly open) gaviota coast just to get to the gate there. Why does this unspoiled 8 mile piece of beach have to be ruined?

Envy.
100% this. It's also based on "eat the rich" type of feelings people have now. But what the coastal commission wants and what it gets are two separate things. Someone I know had a long talk with them on the phone last week. The CC is shooting for the moon and being as greedy as possible, but many of their wants are totally unrealistic and not possible.

Duke status
Feb 20, 2003
pretty fucked up how private property can be made public

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
I thought Scott Bass explained it well in the last episode of Spit. No one would care about the coastline in the ranch if there were no waves there. If there were no waves and it had all the public access in the world, no one would go there because there is lots of other coastline exactly the same. He explains how the law applies to Hollister ranch because they developed residential property on it and sub-divided. While the Bixby ranch never did that so the same rules don't apply there.

He also made a good point about people who have grown up as Ranch locals being some of the most miserable people he's ever met. :)

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
Exactly.
20 miles of private property with waves out front......one place even has an existing parking lot right on the beach.
And how about the old Bixby Ranch....is the Nature Conservancy going to open it's doors as well?
Why not spend some $$ fixing the Gaviota State Park boat hoist....that would improve public access eh?
You think you've seen grumpy Ranch locals before?
Just wait...
Pretty soon they'll have lifeguards at RBs telling you it's not safe to paddle out.
Be careful, I just mentioned a spot on Bixby and I got a 10 day ban.

To answer your question, no it will not be opened to the general public. For research and scientific purposes only according to the Director. I spent the day there getting a tour of the place. One of the most beautiful places I've ever been to. I'm glad it won't be open for the idiots to ruin.

Bohter

Michael Peterson status
Mar 7, 2006
Be careful, I just mentioned a spot on Bixby and I got a 10 day ban.

To answer your question, no it will not be opened to the general public. For research and scientific purposes only according to the Director. I spent the day there getting a tour of the place. One of the most beautiful places I've ever been to. I'm glad it won't be open for the idiots to ruin.
I saw you mention your day trip a few weeks ago when you were at some shin dig in SB....glad you got to visit. We had camping passes for 15 years before the sale. I'm sure if you donate enough $$ to the Nature Conservancy you'd likely get some special treatment re a visit.

It's going to be interesting to see how this plays out.

I've already heard that property values are dropping up there....and there's some selling due to this situation.
Know a few folks who own 12ths....got it in the 80s for relatively low cost....so not everybody is filthy rich up there. That's a huge misconception. And the comments about unhappy locals? Really? Shoots...there's unhappy locals at almost every major spot in the world...get over it....the HR guys are no different than at any other spot.

everysurfer

Phil Edwards status
Sep 9, 2013
Santa Barbara County
Exactly.
20 miles of private property with waves out front......one place even has an existing parking lot right on the beach.
And how about the old Bixby Ranch....is the Nature Conservancy going to open it's doors as well?
Why not spend some $$ fixing the Gaviota State Park boat hoist....that would improve public access eh?
You think you've seen grumpy Ranch locals before?
Just wait...
Pretty soon they'll have lifeguards at RBs telling you it's not safe to paddle out.
Does a flat earth make the walk in easier?

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
Most Ranch spots are already pretty crowded at certain times. If you have an HR sticker you can score the goods during off-hours sessions, though.

Drive-ins are gonna get their cars vandalized. It'll be like going out at the Silver Strand with an "I :love: LA" bumper sticker and a CSUN parking permit in your windshield.

jamesgang

Miki Dora status
Aug 9, 2006
Location Location
The Ranch is like a crazily hot chick -- you know you will probably never get to bang her but it's somehow comforting to know she's out there and somebody else is all over it.

Reactions: Havoc

Badger_Badger

Nep status
Mar 28, 2011
Wrong side of the tracks Leucadia
The state of California can’t even take care of the parks they already have or keep the lights on for that matter.

This is pure class warfare BS that’s been orchestrated for some time now as evidenced by the L.A. Times and other “news media’s” sudden intense interest in the ranch. (I guess Chouinard and the rest of the Lear jet liberals didn’t write big enough checks to commissar Newsome)

Like others have said If you want to surf there bad enough you can make it happen with a little effort.

I guess next there will be an escalator down to Black’s- after all the state/UCSD maintains the locks and the road.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
Buddy of mine and I were surfing LD one afternoon and saw a large group of folks on the grass area.
Fun 2-3', just us out. After about 1/2 hour we see someone suiting up and they paddled out on a longboard.
I look at my friend and he noticed who it was as I did.
It was JB, we talked a bit and he said he'd been watching us, we asked what was going on on the beach, he said he'd just married Daryl Hannah.

Such a shame, the possibility of God's land being opened to the public.
He had a rough time. I first met Jackson surfing at the tomato patch (Grandview) in ‘71/‘72, before his first wife put herself on the 86 list. This song is about that experience

He hung out with us in the Stone Steps hood, pretty reasonable fella.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
The state of California can’t even take care of the parks they already have or keep the lights on for that matter.

This is pure class warfare BS that’s been orchestrated for some time now as evidenced by the L.A. Times and other “news media’s” sudden intense interest in the ranch. (I guess Chouinard and the rest of the Lear jet liberals didn’t write big enough checks to commissar Newsome)

Like others have said If you want to surf there bad enough you can make it happen with a little effort.

I guess next there will be an escalator down to Black’s- after all the state/UCSD maintains the locks and the road.
Hope springs eternal!