***The Official Running Thread***

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Had been feeling OK on Saturday itself but for some reason, Sunday just was bad. Weird hotspot blister popped up on the inside of my big toe, where I'd never gotten one before. And then holy sh!t talk about a catastrophic case of hemorrhoids. Brutal. Close to kidney stone-level of pain. And out of nowhere.

Took it very easy Sunday - Thursday; ironic, supposed to be a large-mileage week but didn't end up working out that way. Ran 6 miles on Friday, cruisey pace, generally felt OK although developed a weird blood blister on another toe. Drained that sucker but damn, all weird things out of nowhere.

So I decided to take advantage of the sale at REI and picked up some Altra Lone Peak 8s. Hell yeah. Couldn't resist breaking them in. I hadn't been running many trails because of the rains but things were more or less dried out, still a lot of mud. But hit up the local trail, absolutely beautiful sunny day in the 70s, just what the doctor ordered. Calves felt super tight at first but loosened up and I was able to pick up the pace. Nothing like a good trial by fire for those shoes, mud, grass, rocks, you name it, 17.25 miles in under 2.5 hours, with about 2500' elevation gain. Love those shoes already - worked well with the Darn Tough socks.
Are you close to peaking in your training?

I just got my first pair of new shoes in many years. My old ones were Merrell Trail Glove 4s. They are now on the Trail Glove 7. I read a lot of negative reviews about the new Trail Gloves and I was feeling some pain on the sharp gravel with my old Trail Gloves during that last long run, so I went and tried on a bunch of shoes (REI folks were very patient with me). I liked the Altra Lone Peaks, very similar to the Trail Glove in fit but with more cushion, but they were not on sale when I went. I settled on a pair of Merrell Nova 3 which were on sale. We went for a 7 mile hike yesterday and it felt weird having cushy shoes. And these are rated "moderate cushion." They did protect from the sharp gravel. But I cannot imagine having those Hoka "maximum cushion" shoes. No thanks.

Reactions: Kento

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
I’m watching the LA Marathon coverage (KTLA5). I really miss doing that. Today is absolutely perfect weather for it- sunny and cool. If they would finish in Santa Monica again I’d do it again in a heart beat.

They interviewed Joan Benoit who won the first women’s Olympic marathon in Los Angeles which was also the inspiration for the LA Marathon. I googled Joan Benoit and found this, which runners should find as impressive as her marathon win-

john4surf

Kelly Slater status
May 28, 2005
CBS, CA
I’m watching the LA Marathon coverage (KTLA5). I really miss doing that. Today is absolutely perfect weather for it- sunny and cool. If they would finish in Santa Monica again I’d do it again in a heart beat.

They interviewed Joan Benoit who won the first women’s Olympic marathon in Los Angeles which was also the inspiration for the LA Marathon. I googled Joan Benoit and found this, which runners should find as impressive as her marathon win-

Benoit is a Legend. Absolute Legend…

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Are you close to peaking in your training?

I just got my first pair of new shoes in many years. My old ones were Merrell Trail Glove 4s. They are now on the Trail Glove 7. I read a lot of negative reviews about the new Trail Gloves and I was feeling some pain on the sharp gravel with my old Trail Gloves during that last long run, so I went and tried on a bunch of shoes (REI folks were very patient with me). I liked the Altra Lone Peaks, very similar to the Trail Glove in fit but with more cushion, but they were not on sale when I went. I settled on a pair of Merrell Nova 3 which were on sale. We went for a 7 mile hike yesterday and it felt weird having cushy shoes. And these are rated "moderate cushion." They did protect from the sharp gravel. But I cannot imagine having those Hoka "maximum cushion" shoes. No thanks.
As far as starting to taper soon, yeah. This is supposed to be last peak two weeks but I am going snowboarding next few days. Call that cross training I guess. I'll make sure I get another couple 15+ mile trail runs in, especially a practice one of the northern half of the race course so I have an idea what to expect. But overall, I know there is a lot of room for improvement from where I am at right now. Still, feeling pretty solid. Felt stronger as I went yesterday.

But those new shoes feel like running on air, super light and feet felt pretty natural in them. Right out of the box and into a 17 mile run through a lot. Lack of drop took a couple miles to adjust to, especially since first mile was on pavement, and whatever blisters I had actually got better, not worse. Phenomenal. Wasn't even really paying attention on last mile home on pavement, just cruising as Zone 2 as you can get, happened to glance at my watch, going along at 7:40ish mile pace.

You bring up a good point about the ultra cushion. The Brooks Glycerins I have for pavement are good but do feel like they have too much cushion. Almost as if you don't feel it in your feet but you do further up your legs, whether it's your knees or hips. Maybe that's why I am getting that abdominal strain? Those shoes are wearing down anyways, which is probably where the blistering is coming from, time to trade them in at REI (only been about 4 months) for some different road runners.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
On our hike yesterday we came upon a dead rabbit on the trail. We stopped to check it out and then my daughter noticed, at eye level on the cliff next to us, like 3-4 feet away, an observer-

IMG_9327.JPG

IMG_9329.JPG

It could have so easily pounced and hit our neck. :eek:

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
March Marathon #2 in the books.
Usually I try to put a scenic picture together with a song from my playlist that triggered a runner's high moment. Today the music didn't punctuate the run until the end- my least favorite part. It's in the city- noise, traffic and stop lights. And, I won't lie, after mile 23 I was really tired, my back was sore and the instep of my foot would cramp terribly when I stopped for lights. Then this song came on. Perfect.

Some people do their best work in old age.

Some pics of the trail show why, even going downhill, I can't go that fast.

IMG_9349.JPGIMG_9348.JPG
IMG_9346.JPG

End of the line where I meet my chauffeur to drive me home.
IMG_9353.JPG

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
“Woooah brah!”….alright, fine: *startled girly scream*!

too close a call with a rattlesnake in a windy, narrow path, who was every bit as surprised to see me as i was to see her. Good thing she was more concerned with snake rule 1 (no step on snek) than on giving me a bite. I’d have been done, I imagine? I don’t have a snake bite repair kit.

i think they get out of the way for most people if they hear/feel you coming, but i’m going fast and keep surprising them. It’s cute when they’re lil tiny things, but this one was a fvckin rope. So i’m moving my run to mornings, when the fog is still up, or at least before there is much sun. Too many damn animals in the afternoon. The bugs think my bright pink and red hair is a flower. Hair full of butterflies and spider webs and shlt…

Reactions: john4surf

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
I had another runner's high moment during March Marathon #3.

I was getting to a point on the trail where there is no one around. There were so many rabbits and lizards on the trail I began to think about rattlers. I decided I better turn down the music so I could hear one if it was rattling. As I turned down the volume I began to hear small birds chirping all around. You have to imagine this song with bird songs in the back ground. It was a magical moment.

Reactions: john4surf and Aruka

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Congrats One-Off! :jamon:

The snowboard trip last week took a massive mental/emotional toll, ran 14 miles Saturday, followed by 17 on Sunday. Knew something was up when both of my knees felt stiff as hell as that hasn't been an issue in a long time. Massively ill Sunday night from likely food poisoning, lost 5 pounds since then.

Right now, just trying to recover from everything. I'm kind of at the point where I'm tapering with race in 2 weeks but also I know I need to still maintain cardio and all that. Still haven't run since Sunday, maybe tomorrow but just need mental/physical recovery, get my strength back up.

Fingers crossed but weather forecast for the race is 44/65 and cloudy. So far so good.

• Wow
Reactions: john4surf

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Congrats One-Off! :jamon:

The snowboard trip last week took a massive mental/emotional toll, ran 14 miles Saturday, followed by 17 on Sunday. Knew something was up when both of my knees felt stiff as hell as that hasn't been an issue in a long time. Massively ill Sunday night from likely food poisoning, lost 5 pounds since then.

Right now, just trying to recover from everything. I'm kind of at the point where I'm tapering with race in 2 weeks but also I know I need to still maintain cardio and all that. Still haven't run since Sunday, maybe tomorrow but just need mental/physical recovery, get my strength back up.

Fingers crossed but weather forecast for the race is 44/65 and cloudy. So far so good.
Thanks. I've gone from doing one 10k and one half marathon a week, to doing one half marathon and one marathon. So far, injury free (knock on wood).

You seem to have bad luck just before the race. The 48 hours before the race, if I were you, I would quarantine in a padded cell to make sure nothing happens.

ps with two masks on.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Thanks. I've gone from doing one 10k and one half marathon a week, to doing one half marathon and one marathon. So far, injury free (knock on wood).

You seem to have bad luck just before the race. The 48 hours before the race, if I were you, I would quarantine in a padded cell to make sure nothing happens.

ps with two masks on.
That's great! Next thing you know you'll be doing marathons and doubles week to week.

Seriously. The last 4-6 weeks or so have been brutal. Had a 3-week lingering cold, deep shin bruise, bad hemorrhoids, food poisoning, along with a whole ton of nights of poor/minimal sleep. Not to mention all the family drama. But I did find a dollar on the road the other day - that was cool.

My weekly mileage has been erratic as hell. 60 miles one week, 25 the next. That's why my main goal right now is just to heal up and get lots of rest. Maybe a few more maintenance runs between now and then but just going to take it easy as best as I can.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
I have a dr. appointment in a couple weeks so will bring it up. Worried I might have a hernia but no bulge and it goes away once muscles loosen up over time.

Definitely a rest day today. Picking up some firewood later today - toting a quarter cord of wood back and forth will be semi-exercise I suppose. If the drizzle keeps up, might be faster exercise than planned! :roflmao:

This is one of the last hard weeks I have before the race. From the training plan I'm going off, this is another hard week (64 miles) but funny thing is, my legs actually feel fine this morning. Icing that calf bruise helped a lot - the knot in my lower leg was almost a foot long after that run. Hopefully it's greatly reduced by tomorrow.
try wearing a jock strap

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: Kento and john4surf

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Hydration and weight seem to have more or less stabilized after being sick, crazy that I was down 10 pounds at one point with my resting heart rate up 15 bpm from normal.

Ran Saturday and Sunday 6 and 8 miles respectively. Felt very loose and rested, cruised around 7:40 pace both runs.

10 days until the race. Psyched. Kind of wish I hadn't tweaked my left hamstring/groin muscle pulling weeds in the garden - bend at the knees, not the waist. Nothing major but not necessary either. Was tempted to run through it today but I guess it probably makes more sense to rest it at this point.

Hopefully because I feel like this right now in a way too:

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Started running again after years off. I was part inspired by my recent loss of 20 pounds (makes pounding pavement a lot less punishing).

Mostly I was inspired by @One-Off from reading his posts on running and interacting with him on some. Took me a little bit to put on the short shorts and go but last Saturday I woke up and said ‘fuck it, I’m running’.

I’m starting out slow, low milage. Saturday, Sunday, Monday did a whopping 2 miles each day. Tuesday nothing. Wednesday and today did 3 miles each. Quads are actually a little sore.

I’ve done these all first thing in the morning. My normal activity level has remained unchanged (BJJ 3-5 days/week, swimming 2 days a week, surfing here and there, body weight strength training routine twice a week).

Probably run another 3 tomorrow and maybe hop on the bike after for 30 minutes.

Shoes - Altra Torin 4.5 (that’ll give you an idea of how long it’s been).

Just ordered a pair of Topo magnify 5.

I used to run fairly high mileage but just lost motivation. For awhile I was running barefoot quite a bit but for now I need some cushion. When I say barefoot I mean no shoes, btw.

Funny enough I tried Hokas once and they FUCKED ME UP. Basically fucked up my knees and feet so bad it precipitated my quitting running.

Trail shoes are Altra Lone Peak but they’re pretty thrashed and years old. Trails around here are steep, straight up/straight down. Depending on how the Topo road shoes go I’ll probably pick up a pair of Runventures.

Thanks One-Off!