***The Official Running Thread***

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Started running again after years off. I was part inspired by my recent loss of 20 pounds (makes pounding pavement a lot less punishing).

Mostly I was inspired by @One-Off from reading his posts on running and interacting with him on some. Took me a little bit to put on the short shorts and go but last Saturday I woke up and said ‘fuck it, I’m running’.

I’m starting out slow, low milage. Saturday, Sunday, Monday did a whopping 2 miles each day. Tuesday nothing. Wednesday and today did 3 miles each. Quads are actually a little sore.

I’ve done these all first thing in the morning. My normal activity level has remained unchanged (BJJ 3-5 days/week, swimming 2 days a week, surfing here and there, body weight strength training routine twice a week).

Probably run another 3 tomorrow and maybe hop on the bike after for 30 minutes.

Shoes - Altra Torin 4.5 (that’ll give you an idea of how long it’s been).

Just ordered a pair of Topo magnify 5.

I used to run fairly high mileage but just lost motivation. For awhile I was running barefoot quite a bit but for now I need some cushion. When I say barefoot I mean no shoes, btw.

Funny enough I tried Hokas once and they FUCKED ME UP. Basically fucked up my knees and feet so bad it precipitated my quitting running.

Trail shoes are Altra Lone Peak but they’re pretty thrashed and years old. Trails around here are steep, straight up/straight down. Depending on how the Topo road shoes go I’ll probably pick up a pair of Runventures.

Thanks One-Off!
No problem. Thanks for your advice on the zone 2 stuff. Glad you're back on the program.

I've been really enjoying my long runs in the mountains. This past week I had a stumble. I'd like to say it was while I was flying down the single track in the mountains at mile 20, but it was the first ten minutes of my run, in Santa Monica. Sandal caught a crack in the pavement as I crossed a street and in an instant I was face down on the asphalt. Skinned my knee and chest and bruised my hip.. I thought my hands were going to shredded but they were fine. I got up and luckily no one saw me, so ego bruising was minimal. I surveyed the damage and continued on my run. It was such a perfect day.

I did think about the mountain lions again when I got to that section of the trail where I am by myself. I think in the hour and a half I was on that section (Skull Rock to Eagle Junction and back) I saw one hiker and a couple of mountain bikers. Both of the mountain bikers had those little jingle bells. I thought that would be a good idea. Just clip it on once I get to the isolated parts. Another piece of advice I read was not to look like a deer. I generally favor earth tones, but thought I might get a red or bright blue rash guard to wear. The article also said not to move, that mountain bikers and runners look like prey. But how do you not move while running?

When I got back to the beach I noticed people looking at my knee. When I got up to Palisades Park I stopped for a second and sat on a bench and noticed a nice river of blood and sweat going down my knee. Cool.
IMG_9427.JPG

• Wow
Reactions: john4surf

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Does CardioDuffy scare you?
You're going to rope-a-dope Tyson. I knew it.

Extended taper. Ran 4 miles yesterday at too fast a pace, toned it down today with 8 miles around 8:30 pace, including a couple **** stops. Last year at this time was one of my first 8 mile training runs. Seemed so long back then and now more of a short-medium run. Crazy how perspective changes. Feeling chill, zen. I may hike/jog the back section of it, nothing crazy 10 miles or so, just to check it out.

Well, I can tell my right big toenail is about to pop off. Not violently as there is a new one growing underneath but it could easily happen during the race. Thinking that lower abdominal tightness may not be muscle related as much as too much food being digested down there and just cramping, felt less tight post-pisses. Weird - it happens right off the bat too, within first mile or so.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
No problem. Thanks for your advice on the zone 2 stuff. Glad you're back on the program.

I've been really enjoying my long runs in the mountains. This past week I had a stumble. I'd like to say it was while I was flying down the single track in the mountains at mile 20, but it was the first ten minutes of my run, in Santa Monica. Sandal caught a crack in the pavement as I crossed a street and in an instant I was face down on the asphalt. Skinned my knee and chest and bruised my hip.. I thought my hands were going to shredded but they were fine. I got up and luckily no one saw me, so ego bruising was minimal. I surveyed the damage and continued on my run. It was such a perfect day.

I did think about the mountain lions again when I got to that section of the trail where I am by myself. I think in the hour and a half I was on that section (Skull Rock to Eagle Junction and back) I saw one hiker and a couple of mountain bikers. Both of the mountain bikers had those little jingle bells. I thought that would be a good idea. Just clip it on once I get to the isolated parts. Another piece of advice I read was not to look like a deer. I generally favor earth tones, but thought I might get a red or bright blue rash guard to wear. The article also said not to move, that mountain bikers and runners look like prey. But how do you not move while running?

When I got back to the beach I noticed people looking at my knee. When I got up to Palisades Park I stopped for a second and sat on a bench and noticed a nice river of blood and sweat going down my knee. Cool.
View attachment 177361
Damn.

BTW, nice garden hose vein.

Don’t worry about Mountain Lions. When it’s your time it’s your time. Way more likely to get hit by a car running on the sidewalk (or tripping on a crack and crushing your skull). Killed by a wild animal is a much better story.

Sorry for the macabre.

:D

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Damn.

BTW, nice garden hose vein.

Don’t worry about Mountain Lions. When it’s your time it’s your time. Way more likely to get hit by a car running on the sidewalk (or tripping on a crack and crushing your skull). Killed by a wild animal is a much better story.

Sorry for the macabre.

:D
Yeah, I noticed the vein when I saw the photo. Kind of freaked me out. I wore compression socks the next run. Is it a concern? I googled "firehose vein" and came up with nothing.

PS: those bike bells are to alert people, not wildlife. Required on most trails in CA.

Had no idea. I thought it was for the lions. :roflmao:

I'm not obsessing about the lions but a colored jersey would be a painless precaution. The bell might be annoying.

I think about sharks when I surf alone north of Point Conception. It just happens. I remember surfing a river mouth north of SF, alone, and the water was really clear. As I paddled out I almost sh!t myself when I saw this big black shadow coming at me. Then I realized it was the shadow of the wave on the sand bottom. Nervous laughter.

With your obsession with martial arts it seems you would almost relish the mortal combat with a predator. Me, not so much.

Last edited:
  • Haha

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Yeah, I noticed the vein when I saw the photo. Kind of freaked me out. I wore compression socks the next run. Is it a concern? I googled "firehose vein" and came up with nothing.

Had no idea. I thought it was for the lions. :roflmao:

I'm not obsessing about the lions but a colored jersey would be a painless precaution. The bell might be annoying.

I think about sharks when I surf alone north of Point Conception. It just happens. I remember surfing a river mouth north of SF, alone, and the water was really clear. As I paddled out I almost sh!t myself when I saw this big black shadow coming at me. Then I realized it was the shadow of the wave on the sand bottom. Nervous laughter.

With your obsession with martial arts it seems you would almost relish the mortal combat with a predator. Me, not so much.
Fire hose vein was a compliment. Only super studs get ‘em.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
That was a suggestion for Kento, whose pre race enthusiasm seems to attract viruses.
The danger is now. A couple light jogs this week but that's it.

So running a 50M as my first trail running race ever and it looks like it is may be pissing down rain after all. Trial by fire all right. Technically 3 drop stations (13.9, 25.9 37.9). Strongly considering leaving a dry pair of socks at each one and a spare pair of shorts at the halfway point. I have a light windbreaker but that might be more trouble than it's worth.

Good thing is I don't need to carry as much water as I would have if it was hotter/sunnier. Not enthused about this in the slightest though. :cautious:

• Wow

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W

So running a 50M as my first trail running race ever and it looks like it is may be pissing down rain after all. Trial by fire all right. Technically 3 drop stations (13.9, 25.9 37.9). Strongly considering leaving a dry pair of socks at each one and a spare pair of shorts at the halfway point. I have a light windbreaker but that might be more trouble than it's worth.

Good thing is I don't need to carry as much water as I would have if it was hotter/sunnier. Not enthused about this in the slightest though. :cautious:
One week out weather forecasts are not totally reliable. Hopefully the system morphs. I bought a (relatively) lightweight rain jacket before the Goldengate Half because of rain in the forecast a week out and it never materialized.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
One week out weather forecasts are not totally reliable. Hopefully the system morphs. I bought a (relatively) lightweight rain jacket before the Goldengate Half because of rain in the forecast a week out and it never materialized.
The shirts I wear wick well and I have a funny feeling a windbreaker would trap that heat. I don't have a good answer for the shorts - they soak up water pretty fast but only comfy shorts I have that also can carry water in without the bottles bouncing like bowling-ball-testicles.

Forecast has wavered back and forth. Whatever happens, happens.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016

Rain or shine you should have socks at the drops.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
I don’t wear a shirt when I run unless I absolutely have to.
How do you avoid sunburn on long runs? On my 6-1/2 hours runs I’ve been getting burnt. I use sunscreen but it’s probably gone after a couple hours Of sweating. Cap protects my face ok, and I’ve been wearing long sleeve tees and wore a bandana around my neck. Now I have tan hands.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Rain or shine you should have socks at the drops.
And some Vaseline for the nips and toes. Thank me later
Thanks and agreed on both!

Right now, ugh, slept pisspoor last night, maybe 4 hours total of choppy sleep, feel that tickle in the throat, did a cruisey 4 mile run, muscles all felt achy and shitty. Still have 4 days to rest/heal up but shitty start to the week. I do have a Z-pack hanging around. Unsure whether to pull the trigger with it - undoubtedly will kill anything in my system that deserves death but at same time, don't want to fuck up my kidneys (or whatever) either...

It almost makes me laugh how I seem to get snakebit before every race. But whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger I guess.

It's been hot and dry lately so thinking that even a half inch of rain that's predicted over the course of 18 hour period or so shouldn't muddy things up TOO terribly. Famous last words. After running in 80 degree heat, I'm just happy that the high will be topping out in the mid-50s. Not the worst thing in the world.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
How do you avoid sunburn on long runs? On my 6-1/2 hours runs I’ve been getting burnt. I use sunscreen but it’s probably gone after a couple hours Of sweating. Cap protects my face ok, and I’ve been wearing long sleeve tees and wore a bandana around my neck. Now I have tan hands.
Um, well, for starters I don’t run for 6 1/2 hours.