***The Official Mid-Length Thread***

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
I'm back on the bonzer train. 6-1 daily driver. But I'm open to trying something longer, 6-8ish for an all around board. Anybody surfing a bonzer mid, daily driver?

Reactions: Pescado713

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
What’s the dims everyone rides these at with your height and weight and what your using them for? Particularly mid length twins.
I've found 7'0 is the sweet spot for me give or take a few inches. I tried a 6'7 CI Mid Twin and pretty quickly realized that it didn't work at all. I had an 8'1 FM and didn't love that either, too slow to react and required that I trim up and down the board. Mid's need enough volume/length to give you the glide to unlock the benefits. My general preference now is ~7'0 and 44L of volume, but that's not a hardfast rule. I rode a 6'10 mid that I liked a lot, and it worked, but I kind of wished it was a 7'0. I've ridden a Firewire Sunday at 6'8, which goes great with 48L of volume. But now I'm on the 7'0 version that works well, too, at 53L. The moral of the story is too small, and you lose the benefits, too long and it feels like a longboard so you have to find your sweet spot.

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
I've found 7'0 is the sweet spot for me give or take a few inches. I tried a 6'7 CI Mid Twin and pretty quickly realized that it didn't work at all. I had an 8'1 FM and didn't love that either, too slow to react and required that I trim up and down the board. Mid's need enough volume/length to give you the glide to unlock the benefits. My general preference now is ~7'0 and 44L of volume, but that's not a hardfast rule. I rode a 6'10 mid that I liked a lot, and it worked, but I kind of wished it was a 7'0. I've ridden a Firewire Sunday at 6'8, which goes great with 48L of volume. But now I'm on the 7'0 version that works well, too, at 53L. The moral of the story is too small, and you lose the benefits, too long and it feels like a longboard so you have to find your sweet spot.
So the more volume the better? What is width/thickness on the ones you liked?

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
So the more volume the better? What is width/thickness on the ones you liked?
It really depends on what you want to do with the board. I went from a 6'8 to a 7'0 Sunday for a little bit of additional volume. That helped me compete with the longboards and locals, surfing the east side of Santa Cruz yesterday on a south swell. I think this 7'0 will be a bit better all around for small waves and crowd control, which is what I got it for.

But it's not going to do as good of a job as the 6'8 at fitting into tight spots on the inner bars at OB. Nor can I duck dive it that well, which means I can probably only ride it in 4' and under Ocean Beach.

My plan is to order a custom CI Mid for next season when I want to ride a board like that in better waves. In that case, I'm going for around ~44L because I know it gives me a good mix of paddle power and the ability to duck dive effectively, whether that be for getting under white water or under a breaking lip on a set.

All the mids I have had have been stock boards 6'10 and 7'0 CI mids, 7'0 Firewire Seaside and Beyond, 6'8 and 7'0 Firewire Sunday, 7'0 Christenson Long Phish, and 8'1 Love Machine FM. From a pure dims standpoint, the 6'10 CI Mid has been my favorite for high-performance surfing, the 7'0 CI Mid and Seaside and Beyond have probably been the best all-arounders, and the 7'0 Sunday dominates the small wave spot, though the Christenson long phish was very capable in that department. The 6'8 Sunday is really fun for a mix of beach break conditions but doesn't have an obvious spot in the quiver.

Hope that helps.

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
It really depends on what you want to do with the board. I went from a 6'8 to a 7'0 Sunday for a little bit of additional volume. That helped me compete with the longboards and locals, surfing the east side of Santa Cruz yesterday on a south swell. I think this 7'0 will be a bit better all around for small waves and crowd control, which is what I got it for.

But it's not going to do as good of a job as the 6'8 at fitting into tight spots on the inner bars at OB. Nor can I duck dive it that well, which means I can probably only ride it in 4' and under Ocean Beach.

My plan is to order a custom CI Mid for next season when I want to ride a board like that in better waves. In that case, I'm going for around ~44L because I know it gives me a good mix of paddle power and the ability to duck dive effectively, whether that be for getting under white water or under a breaking lip on a set.

All the mids I have had have been stock boards 6'10 and 7'0 CI mids, 7'0 Firewire Seaside and Beyond, 6'8 and 7'0 Firewire Sunday, 7'0 Christenson Long Phish, and 8'1 Love Machine FM. From a pure dims standpoint, the 6'10 CI Mid has been my favorite for high-performance surfing, the 7'0 CI Mid and Seaside and Beyond have probably been the best all-arounders, and the 7'0 Sunday dominates the small wave spot, though the Christenson long phish was very capable in that department. The 6'8 Sunday is really fun for a mix of beach break conditions but doesn't have an obvious spot in the quiver.

Hope that helps.
Definitely helps. I suspect I’m looking at it all too nuanced from a shortboard perspective. The dims on my 7’7 are definitely shocking to me but I haven’t surfed it enough yet to have an opinion.

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
Definitely helps. I suspect I’m looking at it all too nuanced from a shortboard perspective. The dims on my 7’7 are definitely shocking to me but I haven’t surfed it enough yet to have an opinion.
Yeah, I am not trying to dial in the dims on my mids like I do on my shortboards. Basically does the length check out, does the width check out (not too wide, not too narrow, unless it's mean to be a step up), and most importantly, does it have enough volume to meet the needs of the objective.

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia

Hope that helps.
Your Sundays run the 2+1 config or the more recent straight twin? If the 2+1 what's your fin go to?

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
Your Sundays run the 2+1 config or the more recent straight twin? If the 2+1 what's your fin go to?
Straight up twins. Even if they were the 2 + 1 setup, it’s hard for me to imagine wanting to ride them as anything other than a twin. They’re just so fun and whippy that way. Of all those mids I’ve mentioned, not one of them can compete with the Sunday in maneuverability. I see that as a good thing in small waves but not ideal in waves with some power. In which case I definitely prefer the stability and power of the CI mid with the 2+1 setup. Forgot to mention that I briefly had a 6’7 CI Mid twin which I didn’t seem to click with all that well. Though I think the volume was a bigger problem than the fin setup.

Last edited:
Reactions: Retropete

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
I've got a 7'0 that's a 2 + 1, based off a Howard Mini but with added double concave through the fins which makes it a bit more like a CI Mid I think. It goes really well in the beach breaks I ride from about waist high to overhead. I had them keep the rails relatively thin and foiled at 2 5/8. I hate board that feel boaty and this doesn't. It was custom shaped and lacks liter info but I'd guess it's just over 40. It's 7'0 x 21 1/2 x 2 5/8. Maybe 42 liters?

I also have a 6'4 Ghost Ghobra which is a channel bottom twin pin. This one is less of a mid length and more of a shortboard but not really as it's wider througthout and not meant for ripping but more cruising. It's a lot like the Simon Jones Fiji.

It needs a good wave to work, but it works really well. I've traveled with it extensively and it works in everything I've thrown at it. But it lacks the glide of the 7'0 (obviously).

I've thought about splitting difference and getting a 6'8 or 6'10 twin (probably a Ghobra) but then I rode my 7'0 in pretty borderline surfable waves last weekend and it was so fun that I might just stick with this combo.

I've also considered the Sunday but the one's from Rob Machado surfboards rather than Firewire as they seem to keep the thickness down to more like 2 1/2 which I think I'd like where the firewire's get really bloated.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Midlengths at Lennox is it?
The comment by Thommo's old man...duh...no legrope required when you ride a mat.
View attachment 183684
"A great example of why leg ropes and leashes should be outlawed and banned. You fall you swim and if you can not swim your not out there. This one thing would bring natural order back to our line ups."

I'd say his last 3 sentences are spot on.

Is there any arguing with that?

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
I would support no leashes when pumping like elder Tomo said, but not at places like San O or Bolsa where everyone would get hit by a flying log