***The Official Mid-Length Thread***

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
P.s I am totally with you that the term “midlength” & the current hoopla is marketing / hipster bulls**t and I also agree that many of the thruster labels are using it to rebrand their minimals for sales..... but like I said that’s kinda missing the point of some of these other branches of the board design tree.....
I like taunting the older guys at my local who have switched from hpsb's to JS Big barons and other similar midlengths with the quip, "Nice funboard."

bluengreen

Michael Peterson status
Oct 22, 2018
SF x Encinitas
There are big shortboards, funboards, midlengths, and then there are hulls and Gatos etc. All different boards that require different, skillsets, mindsets, and styles.

Devon Howard has become a middlength spokesman, but imo he represents a bland, soft-rock approach that is more on the funboard side of the spectrum. The whole point seems to be to look smooth. :waving:

What I like about the Andreini and Gatos is that they are weird and hard to ride, which breeds a more raw, radical, and involved kind of surfing.:cool:

It's all a matter of taste -- there's no right or wrong.

Some of us like hard bop and garage rock, some like Chicago, and others, like Northern Shores, are still listening to Blink-182.

Last edited:

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
or Dr. Kliff Capone :roflmao:ocean Conservationist :violin:

I feel your pain. I'm on 5'11" now. Goin the wrong way :(

BIT OF YOU BEING A RETARD?!?!?!?! HE IS 65 U MONGO.
View attachment 151914

Only thing good about midlengths is they keep their adherents weak, so I can entertain 3 fights at once.
We have seen your surfing and abortions of surfboards you create, which is all good fun. Should you really be the one taking shots at others surfing/designs?

jory

OTF status
Aug 13, 2006
UK
Visit site
Curious how the 7'0 goes. Looks a lot different than the longer Outlier but wsa thinking might be a little better in beachbreak vs the more refined 7'6 and 8'0 versions.
Depends what you mean by beachbreak....

The original longer outliers surf like a detuned, more neutral Vaquero ( hully stubby kind of deal), the 7’ is a totally different board , could even have a different model name tbh.

The 7’ surfs like a giant mini - simmons. Generates tonnes of lateral speed and very skatey. Works amazing in mush, there’s a lot of tail and volume to manhandle in steep waves.

The 7’6 has worked great for me in beachbreak to be honest, it’s only drawback is lack of rocker.

Reactions: Retropete

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Curious how the 7'0 goes. Looks a lot different than the longer Outlier but wsa thinking might be a little better in beachbreak vs the more refined 7'6 and 8'0 versions.
As Jory says its like a whole different board but shares the DNA of the longer ones and does feel mini-Simmonesque.
It also takes a bit of skill and timing to put a mini-Simmons into a 12 o'clock reo whereas the outlier will happily do it given the right section. But due to being 7' and having a lot of planing area it can paddle battle long boarders where a much shorter mini Simmons may have less success. I've noticed that the roll under the front half of the board lets me get away with taking off on steeper waves without the rail getting locked in and pulled up the face on an angled take off which is handy with its low rocker. The same roll allows it to have a smooth feel to initiating direction changes where longer mid lengths can feel stiff.
So it excels in being able to change direction and turn in much shorter arcs due to its length but also with the added tail width to maintain the speed in the turns.
Say you have a junky, rip bowl wave that has crumbling sections in the lip. It will let you zip along and do re-entries off them like coping in a skate bowl but still have the planing area to link the sections with speed. Roundhouse cutbacks on hulls are not an easy thing to do but this board does them without a hitch.
Its wheelhouse is head high and under waves. So long answer to short question: yes it is...but way better in beachbreaks because it goes great when the waves are sectiony and/or onshore not just when its cleaner.

Last edited:
Reactions: Havoc

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
As Jory says its like a whole different board but shares the DNA of the longer ones and does feel Mini-Simmonesque. But due to being 7' and having a lot of planing area it can paddle battle long boarders where a shorter mini Simmons may be more effort. I've noticed that the roll under the front half of the board lets me get away with taking off on steeper waves without the rail getting locked in and pulled up the face on an angled take off. Which is handy as the board has very little rocker. The same roll allows it to have a smooth feel to initiating direction changes where longer mid lengths can feel stiff.
So it excels in being able to change direction and turn in much shorter arcs due to its length but also with the added tail width to maintain the speed in the turns.
Say you have a junky, rip bowl wave that has crumbling sections in the lip. It will let you zip along and do re-entries off them like coping in a skate bowl but still have the planing area to link the sections with speed. Roundhouse cutbacks on hulls are not an easy thing to do but this board does them without a hitch.
Its wheelhouse is head high and under waves. So long answer to short question: yes it is...but way better in beachbreaks because it goes great when the waves are sectiony and/or onshore not just when its cleaner.
is urs a popout ver?

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
is urs a popout ver?
Firewire filth. No option for a custom which you have in the US. See custom tab on web page.

Reactions: Havoc