***The Official Mid-Length Thread***

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
Personally I'd rather have the Outlier outline with a more pulled in tail with a bit more curve overall.

Just feels like it would be easier to turn and not want to go straight so much as the Stamps. But I'm never a fan of parallel rails and wide, blocky straight tails. Might work for some.

jory

OTF status
Aug 13, 2006
UK
Visit site
@Havoc What size is your mini -sim?

The traditional wisdom is that riding them short negates the straight rail line. Ive ridden a lot of mini simmons over the years in the 5'2 / 5'4 range. They get up and planing really well and are great for racing sections and generating speed in junk. Its a different style of surfing to the stubby hully boards though. More active, less trim.

For me it depends a little on what mood i'm in and how many longboarders i'm competing for waves with!

Reactions: Chocki

Havoc

Phil Edwards status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
@Havoc What size is your mini -sim?

The traditional wisdom is that riding them short negates the straight rail line. Ive ridden a lot of mini simmons over the years in the 5'2 / 5'4 range. They get up and planing really well and are great for racing sections and generating speed in junk. Its a different style of surfing to the stubby hully boards though. More active, less trim.

For me it depends a little on what mood i'm in and how many longboarders i'm competing for waves with!
6’11. was inspired by northern shores’ creation

bluengreen

Michael Peterson status
Oct 22, 2018
SF x Encinitas
7'7 Vaquero Update

Couple more sessions, and I'm understanding this board better. Paddles better than I first reported. Certainly not a dog in this department, but not what you might expect from a board with such generous dims. Once it picks up some wave energy, it planes very well and catches waves easily.

Got it out at an offshore, high-tide beach break about shoulder high. Nice almondy pocket to the wave and a long running wall. The board loves to sit high up in the pocket, race, and make sections. Feels like you can high-line forever. Big banking cutbacks work best if you don't go too deep off the bottom. I find it difficult to hold the rail and push hard on a bottom turn, projecting up into the lip line. It wants to tip, pivot around that fin and then flatten out again, so I find myself cutting back a little lower in the wave than I would like if my angle of attack is too steep.

Next session was at Steamer Lane's middle peak on a somewhat choppy, mushy day. Harder to operate in these conditions, where you get a crumbly lip and short, slopey shoulder requiring one to keep cutting back at slow speed to stay in what little pocket the wave has. Still, it worked fine, and the frictionless glide allowed me some 15-20 second rides.

Overall, feels like a trim-oriented board that wants a long wall to come alive, but it has an impressive bottom range. Great low-performance jazz hands platform, but still not sold on the board given the lack of projection on bottom turns.

Here's some grainy cam footage to seal my kook status:

Last edited:

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
7'7 Vaquero Update

Couple more sessions, and I'm understanding this board better. Paddles better than I first reported. Certainly not a dog in this department, but not what you might expect from a board with such generous dims. Once it picks up some wave energy, it planes very well and catches waves easily.

Got it out at an offshore, high-tide beach break about shoulder high. Nice almondy pocket to the wave and a long running wall. The board loves to sit high up in the pocket, race, and make sections. Feels like you can high-line forever. Big banking cutbacks work best if you don't go too deep off the bottom. I find it difficult to hold the rail and push hard on a bottom turn, projecting up into the lip line. It wants to tip, pivot around that fin and then flatten out again, so I find myself cutting back a little lower in the wave than I would like if my angle of attack is too steep.

Next session was at Steamer Lane's middle peak on a somewhat choppy, mushy day. Harder to operate in these conditions, where you get a crumbly lip and short, slopey shoulder requiring one to keep cutting back at slow speed to stay in what little pocket the wave has. Still, it worked fine, and the frictionless glide allowed me some 15-20 second rides.

Overall, feels like a trim-oriented board that wants a long wall to come alive, but it has an impressive bottom range. Great low-performance jazz hands platform.

How did you get the cam to follow you?

sushipop

Michael Peterson status
Feb 7, 2008
The Dagobah System
7'7 Vaquero Update

Overall, feels like a trim-oriented board that wants a long wall to come alive, but it has an impressive bottom range. Great low-performance jazz hands platform.

That was a long-assed peepee you took while recording that. Glad you’re staying hydrated.