***The Official Mid-Length Thread***

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Let’s face it, there are really two type of “mid lengths”

There’s the original idea of them being alternative designs that drew different lines on waves, you know like hulls, eggs, long fish etc. These can be interesting and fun as long as you embrace the lines they are intended to draw and you don’t try and shortboard surf them like Dane Reynolds in that original Stab acid test thingy. Kinda like embracing the fact that a 5’6 twin keel fish ain’t gonna launch air reverses like a 5’8 thruster shortboard.

And then there’s stuff like that Chilli which is essentially a rebranded mini-mal or “chunky” shortboard. It’s mostly a crutch for older or fatter surfers or intermediates who wish they could shortboard and as such will always make the surfing on them look like the poor imitation of good shortboard surfing that they are.

( see mick fanning above etc)

Convince me I’m wrong?
Spot on.
I’m in the camp that does not want to surf like a shortboar if I’m on a bigger boar. Every turn should be soul-arched with jazz hands! :LOL:

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Spot on.
I’m in the camp that does not want to surf like a shortboar if I’m on a bigger boar. Every turn should be soul-arched with jazz hands! :LOL:
What camp is Torren Martyn in? Is he trying to surf like he's on a shortboard? If not, then is his surfing no longer considered "high performance"? Aerial surfing is impressive, but give me a carve any day.

Because I started surfing in the early to mid 70's ('73 to be precise), I'll always consider boards in the 6-6 to 7-6 range a shortboard. They weren't longboards. And I'll always consider what BK, Hakman, Bertlemann, MR etc etc were doing back then to be "high performance".

I'm like Craig in the Middy review when he says, "I'll always consider myself a shortboard purist at heart," but at 61 years old I find when I ride my short board (now a 6-3, up from a 6-0 pre covid, pre back injury) I have less fun than I would have on a 7+ board. I blow take offs and miss waves which I almost never do on a mid. And my back always hurts after a shortboard session. It's a hard pill to swallow. But I'm to the point where I rather be seen as a kook for riding a mid, than be seen as a kook for blowing takeoffs.

ps Craig is so much better to watch than Yuri. But it irked me when he repeatedly said "performance orientated." Is that a word? Also, the wet t-shirt made him look like Jimbo. Why not just wear a rash guard?

Last edited:

jory

OTF status
Aug 13, 2006
UK
Visit site
What camp is Torren Martyn in? Is he trying to surf like he's on a shortboard? If not, then is his surfing no longer considered "high performance"? Aerial surfing is impressive, but give me a carve any day.

Because I started surfing in the early to mid 70's ('73 to be precise), I'll always consider boards in the 6-6 to 7-6 range a shortboard. They weren't longboards. And I'll always consider what BK, Hakman, Bertlemann, MR etc etc were doing back then to be "high performance".

I'm like Craig in the Middy review when he says, "I'll always consider myself a shortboard purist at heart," but at 61 years old I find when I ride my short board (now a 6-3, up from a 6-0 pre covid, pre back injury) I have less fun than I would have on a 7+ board. I blow take offs and miss waves which I almost never do on a mid. And my back always hurts after a shortboard session. It's a hard pill to swallow. But I'm to the point where I rather be seen as a kook for riding a mid, than be seen as a kook for blowing takeoffs.

ps Craig is so much better to watch than Yuri. But it irked me when he repeatedly said "performance orientated." Is that a word? Also, the wet t-shirt made him look like Jimbo. Why not just wear a rash guard?
Torren is in camp 1. He rides each board with lines appropriate to the design. High performance lines on the shorter twins, longer smooth lines with no flailing on the long ones.

Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with sizing your "shortboard" appropriate to weight and age but these boards aren't really what the "mid length" term was coined for, they're really "gentlemans shortboards" if you will. Midlength has just become a convenient hip rebrand of these shapes / marketing tool for some shapers to hitch their bandwagon too that misses the point a little in my opinion

Reactions: rowjimmytour

Northern_Shores

Miki Dora status
Mar 30, 2009
Greg Webber has some 6'8"++ designs that actually has some glide and turns in them. Most middis looks like they are bogging both rails at the same time, to quote middi master Jordy "The Nipple" Smith.

• Haha
Reactions: frontsidegrab

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
Lot has to do with rocker.

The more classic mid lengths have less of it particularly in the tail which puts more rail in the water and forces a different line with less release.

The ones with more rocker get into the big shortboard realm and allow quicker turns that approximate shortboarding.

Torrens mids are pretty flat. The twins loosen it up a bit but keep a pretty classic line.

I prefer the first camp.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
I guess they've become a "thing."

I've always had an interest in mid lengths because the spot I surf most in winter became a "longboard spot." Short history- the spot was originally called Paddleboard Cove and there are some classic Leroy Grannis photos and some of Tom Blake riding there on a plywood kook box. But by the time I arrived everyone was on shortboards (see my definition of 70's shortboards above). When longboarding had its renaissance (when was it? In the early 90's?) the longboards returned to the spot in earnest.

A true shortboard is a handicap there no matter what the crowd or conditions are, but on some lowtide, head high + waves a 6-6 or 6-10 is magic. But good luck trying to get a wave from the 9-0s.

So I always had an interest in the boards like Rusty's "Desert Island" or CI's "M13." Midlengths have always been around. Maybe I should try to reporduce my 6-11, (3 inch thick) ET stinger that was my first new surfboard on which I got many a good wave at said spot...

Also, as far as "flailing" vs "classic lines" maybe it's the archer more than the arrow? Case in point-

vs

jory

OTF status
Aug 13, 2006
UK
Visit site
yeah imo the flailing isn't the boards fault, it's the surfer's
That’s kinda what I was trying to get at though, it’s trying to surf the board like the length it is not the length you wish you could surf.

Back then The aforementioned m13 was really a “gentleman’s shortboard” in my definition and a “midlength” sat in that at least 6’10 but less than 9’ and on a more alternative branch of the design tree.

Reactions: oeste858

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
Let’s face it, there are really two type of “mid lengths”

... you know like hulls, eggs, long fish etc. These can be interesting and fun as long as you embrace the lines they are intended to draw...

And then there’s stuff like that... “chunky” shortboard. It’s mostly a crutch for older or fatter surfers or intermediates who wish they could shortboard...
Damn you, I resemble that remark... at least the "older" and "intermediate" part. :geek:

But it's not that I try to ride my mid-like a shortboard, it's just that I cant ride either that well, so the mid is a bit easier in most conditions I choose to go out in.

Spot on.
I have this exact same board, same size, and aspire to surf well enough to always have this much fun on it. Again not trying to ride it like a shortboard or in waves a shortboard > groveler would work better, but this kind of surfing looks so fun to me.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Damn you, I resemble that remark... at least the "older" and "intermediate" part. :geek:

But it's not that I try to ride my mid-like a shortboard, it's just that I cant ride either that well, so the mid is a bit easier in most conditions I choose to go out in.

I have this exact same board, same size, and aspire to surf well enough to always have this much fun on it. Again not trying to ride it like a shortboard or in waves a shortboard > groveler would work better, but this kind of surfing looks so fun to me.

Nice surfing. I wonder if he had the quad set up? Board looked very drivey. And loose. :jamon:

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia

What's interesting about that clip is the guy riding it had a narrow stance and barely moved his feet around on it. Surfing it mostly from the middle the entire time. Can see it has plenty of rocker.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Question for the room…

If you had to choose between a 6’10 Special K and a 7’2 Vaquero, which would you get?

Also, to confuse the issue, what about a 5’8 MP Edge?