***The Official Mid-Length Thread***

Woke AF

Tom Curren status
Jul 29, 2009
Southern Tip, Norcal
Awesome. I'm checking a 7'6 on CList this week. What's the bottom range for these boards? Assuming they like a clean, lined-up wave.
I'll add to what has been said, mine is in the magic category. The power of the wave is the determinant of how big a wave it can handle. It can get a little squirrely HH and over but softer HH and over it can be a blast. It sucks in small waves with a lot of curl; it doesn't necessarily get in really early, and then fitting it in the face while angling it because there is no bottom turn to be had... sucks.
Not sure I would want it at 7'6. I would think that length would take away the nimbleness and turning but :shrug: If the long boards are out and getting the best waves my 7' Vaquero can't compete with them at all. I don't think 6'more inches would change that. A friend just brought home an 8' Jim Philips, which is just beautiful; that's what I need to order for small waves.

I don't think mine has ever seen a 'clean lined up wave':cry: but I think we both would like one. Any day now, please.

bluengreen

Michael Peterson status
Oct 22, 2018
SF x Encinitas
I'll add to what has been said, mine is in the magic category. The power of the wave is the determinant of how big a wave it can handle. It can get a little squirrely HH and over but softer HH and over it can be a blast. It sucks in small waves with a lot of curl; it doesn't necessarily get in really early, and then fitting it in the face while angling it because there is no bottom turn to be had... sucks.
Not sure I would want it at 7'6. I would think that length would take away the nimbleness and turning but :shrug: If the long boards are out and getting the best waves my 7' Vaquero can't compete with them at all. I don't think 6'more inches would change that. A friend just brought home an 8' Jim Philips, which is just beautiful; that's what I need to order for small waves.

I don't think mine has ever seen a 'clean lined up wave':cry: but I think we both would like one. Any day now, please.
Ah, ok. I was wondering about the length. So it's not a longboard cheater like the McVee, therefore keeping it around 7'0 is a better call than 7'6? I was thinking it would be a fun cruiser for clean high tide Indo Mar or those underwhelming offshore fall days at the beach. I'm 6'3, so I don't mind going a little longer.

What I'm hearing is that Vaqs are magic but picky about conditions. Not too mushy, not too small and bowly.

Last edited:

chilly1

Nep status
Jan 4, 2010
I think about a foot over your height is probably a good starting point. Hollow waves are difficult to stick the drops but once in and you will make sections with ease, down the line, if gets hollowish/not barrelling, that, for me, is the best it gets for this model.

Reactions: bluengreen

Woke AF

Tom Curren status
Jul 29, 2009
Southern Tip, Norcal
Ah, ok. I was wondering about the length. So it's not a longboard cheater like the McVee, therefore keeping it around 7'0 is a better call than 7'6? I was thinking it would be a fun cruiser for clean high tide Indo Mar or those underwhelming offshore fall days at the beach.

What I'm hearing is that Vaqs are magic but picky about conditions. Not too mushy, not too small and bowly.
Not sure if picky is the right word. It was/is pretty close to a dd for me in most under hh of what the beach offers. If you need or want to surf aggressive such as in puckety runners it sucks. If you can get in early no problem but taking off under the lip and getting it up to speed in time is a problem.

bluengreen

Michael Peterson status
Oct 22, 2018
SF x Encinitas
Grabbed that Vaquero today. Turns out it's a 7'7. Such a weird transaction in the Rockaway parking lot. Two dudes pull up in a beat up Audi sedan. Guy gets out looking like a 90's goth raver with a mac-length black leather jacket, Jinco jeans, black boots and little round rose-tinted John Lennon sunglasses. His boyfriend (?) had huge hoop earrings. Clearly not surfers. I asked why he was selling it, and he said it was his dad's and then began to spin some bullshit story about his dad moving south and wanting him to have the money. It's probably stolen or collateral for a Ketamine debt. I offered $500 and he took it without pause :shrug:. Took it straight to the repair guy to have some minor dings patched.

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
Grabbed that Vaquero today. Turns out it's a 7'7. Such a weird transaction in the Rockaway parking lot. Two dudes pull up in a beat up Audi sedan. Guy gets out looking like a 90's goth raver with a mac-length black leather jacket, Jinco jeans, black boots and little round rose-tinted John Lennon sunglasses. His boyfriend (?) had huge hoop earrings. Clearly not surfers. I asked why he was selling it, and he said it was his dad's and then began to spin some bullshit story about his dad moving south and wanting him to have the money. It's probably stolen or collateral for a Ketamine debt. I offered $500 and he took it without pause :shrug:. Took it straight to the repair guy to have some minor dings patched.

Hey that's my board!

Woke AF

Tom Curren status
Jul 29, 2009
Southern Tip, Norcal
Hey man, I thought we were cool with the deal :shrug:

ps there are some seriously sketchy guys in that rockaway parking lot.

• Haha
Reactions: bluengreen

feralseppo

Billy Hamilton status
Feb 28, 2006
Anyone try an Andreini Special K?
I had a 9’2” edge Special K for a little while. Bought it used from a guy that weighed about 50 lbs less than me. Supposed to be a winter version Vaquero. Worked well in curvy beach break not as good in small gutless waves, but I tried a winged tip keel in small surf and it helped. I’m think the square tail Mo better probably more turny than the round tail.
The edge seemed like it allowed the board to hold in curvy waves. No worries of single spin spin out. I’d like another with a little more foam

1674239109696.jpeg

Reactions: billypilgrim