***The Official Mid-Length Thread***

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
I haven't ridden a single fin in decades. Why? When side bites add an incommensurate amount of drive and you can still step back and toggle and stall to your heart's content? I tried a friend's "modern" single fin about 20 years ago and I'd compare the experience to driving our Prius. I was frustrated by the lack of drive.

So I can't help you. Found this when I went to see what boards you were talking about.

Feb 10, 2023
Waikiki
"The official knock it til ya try it thread"

I’m stoked I found this thread- there’s no effing way I’m ever riding a 5hit length until I ride one. :) But I agree it looks wrong trying to surf one like a short board.

Last edited:
Reactions: oeste858

Leonardo

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 10, 2020
Guys i need an info please. Would you guys tell me what fin positioning would be "standard" for a 6'11 twin mid (like a ci mid twin)...?

Scott Ando

OTF status
Nov 12, 2002
Santa Barbara
Visit site
Guys i need an info please. Would you guys tell me what fin positioning would be "standard" for a 6'11 twin mid (like a ci mid twin)...?
Align the lead edge / base of the trailer at the (imaginary) point that intersects the trailing tip and base of the side biters.

In other words the front of the trailer past the side tips but not as far up as the side bases.

Closer together/up = looser
Spread apart/back = stiffer

Leonardo

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 10, 2020
Thank you, Scott. What distance (measuring on the stringer) is the standard between the back of the fins and the tail, for a mid twin 6'11? about same as a twin fish (7,5 inches)?

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Twin placement would move forward with added length. I think this is pretty standard.

7.5” on a 6’11 sounds like 4” on a 5’6.

Nov 3, 2018
No idea why Californians get a stiffy over Devon Howards surfing.

very, very average IMO.

9/10 people around here surf better than that.
You should pass that feeback on to Devon.. I'm sure he'd find it super valuable. I think Devon is a great ambassabor for California surfing - he's intelligent, successful, and a great communicator. Did great things with WSL for longboarding, and in his surf splendor interviews provides nuanced evaluations of board design and functionality. He understands branding having worked for Patagonia and now CI, has a track record of successful surf jounalism, and FUCKING RULED on that Takayama Egg in One California Day.

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
You should pass that feeback on to Devon.. I'm sure he'd find it super valuable. I think Devon is a great ambassabor for California surfing - he's intelligent, successful, and a great communicator. Did great things with WSL for longboarding, and in his surf splendor interviews provides nuanced evaluations of board design and functionality. He understands branding having worked for Patagonia and now CI, has a track record of successful surf jounalism, and FUCKING RULED on that Takayama Egg in One California Day.
Thanks for chiming in Devon!

20W-50 and blood

Duke status
Feb 4, 2004
SOCAL
Visit site
I guess they've become a "thing."

I've always had an interest in mid lengths because the spot I surf most in winter became a "longboard spot." Short history- the spot was originally called Paddleboard Cove and there are some classic Leroy Grannis photos and some of Tom Blake riding there on a plywood kook box. But by the time I arrived everyone was on shortboards (see my definition of 70's shortboards above). When longboarding had its renaissance (when was it? In the early 90's?) the longboards returned to the spot in earnest.

A true shortboard is a handicap there no matter what the crowd or conditions are, but on some lowtide, head high + waves a 6-6 or 6-10 is magic. But good luck trying to get a wave from the 9-0s.

So I always had an interest in the boards like Rusty's "Desert Island" or CI's "M13." Midlengths have always been around. Maybe I should try to reporduce my 6-11, (3 inch thick) ET stinger that was my first new surfboard on which I got many a good wave at said spot...

Also, as far as "flailing" vs "classic lines" maybe it's the archer more than the arrow? Case in point-

vs

dont care what any of you bags say...this is five BILLION times better surfing that anythign those stupid soul daddy dbags do.

Reactions: One-Off