The Jordan Peterson Thread

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
I've spent way too much time trying to watch his videos. Many people I know and like and respect and talk about him a certain way that from where I stand does not jibe with what comes out of his mouth. I just don't get it. I mean somehow people get something from him that I don't hear in his message.
That's why it's so fascinating when seemingly normal people say things like "Trump is funny" or "Trump tells it like it is" and have zero problem with his ethos.

The same people like to cherry pick the Bible and the Constitution.

Just acknowledge the parts you like and ignore the ones that clash with your biases.

• Dislike
Reactions: grapedrink

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Meaning - all this playing of teams and groupings (Alt-Left and Alt-Right, BLM, ANTIFA, KKK, etc) is bull$hit because it presupposes that that group power should always outweight the individual - which is contrary to everything beneficial.
Show me someone who holds it as an article of faith that the group power should never outweigh the individual (a conclusion I'm drawing based on "contrary to everything beneficial") and I'll show you someone who can't cooperate well enough to survive a North American/North Asian/Northern European winter for almost the entirety of homo sapien history.

The war effort in WWII resulted in workers constantly changing jobs as a result of labor (finally) having the power and so price controls were instituted.

The Governor of Georgia bitched and moaned, moaned and bitched, about sending troops to go fight against the Union Army outside the state of Georgia.

I think "teams" is an easy shorthand to describe ideological/voting tendencies in a country of 330M people, not an implicit presupposition that the group power should outweigh the individual. I just don't think that's where the Tea Party or Libertarian teams are coming from, for example.

Quoting the Bible is fine if it's done as a work of fiction. If it's couched in an actual belief in a Christian God or Judeo/Christian ethic, I'd rather ask Albus Dumbledore, Master Yoda, and Gandalf for life advice than the guy who tortured Job to prove a point or who flooded the world because the Deplorables triggered him.

Reactions: plasticbertrand

Woke AF

Tom Curren status
Jul 29, 2009
Southern Tip, Norcal
The intent here was not to paint the guy as a saint - as obviously as of late, he has been laid bare as an absolute regular human being with all of their inherent flaws. At least the guy isn't trying to hide that.

Re: the Jung comment, that is ironic as Peterson has spoken about Jung saying,

" And I never came across anybody who had a deeper understanding of narrative than Carl Jung. So his work was unbelievably influential for me, partly because it was through Jung that I started to understand the metaphysics of the idea of the sovereignty of the individual, which I think is the great Western idea, that the fundamental perceptual — what would you say? — that the most appropriate perceptual framework for a social interaction at the familial and the community level is to view each individual as unique and sovereign."

Meaning - all this playing of teams and groupings (Alt-Left and Alt-Right, BLM, ANTIFA, KKK, etc) is bull$hit because it presupposes that that group power should always outweight the individual - which is contrary to everything beneficial.

F you and your "team." I matter just as much as you matter. Lets talk it out - if the other side will let you.....

He quotes the Bible as much as he quote Nietzsche so I don't follow the Christian part of the argument.

I just enjoy intellectual talk.

If you have a favorite, post a link - I'm all ears.
you need to find a better intellectual. Hint: stay away from Youtube.

'Better intellectuals' are respected in their community. Peer review and stuff.

If what you quoted is his take on Jung, he really sucks at this.

If you think the academic community is corrupt, some are, most are not. Those that are political, usually.

HatterasGlass

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2008
Ted Kaczynski was an intelectual.

I wonder if he ever gave a Ted talk.

What do you think of Ben Shapiro? Do you enjoy his intellectual talk?
And Hitler was an artist.
I do enjoy Ben Shapiro from time to time - as a sounding board against the MSM.

Your proclivity to turn absolutely every conversation into an argument, no matter what, says alot.
You seem like a really bitter person.

HatterasGlass

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2008
you need to find a better intellectual. Hint: stay away from Youtube.

'Better intellectuals' are respected in their community. Peer review and stuff.

If what you quoted is his take on Jung, he really sucks at this.

If you think the academic community is corrupt, some are, most are not. Those that are political, usually.
I don't know where the hell any of this came from.
If you have another suggestion - I'm all ears and am awaiting it.

Don't make this a me vs you, douchbag. Thats not where this thread started.

HatterasGlass

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2008
We live in an era of YouTube 'intellectuals'.

Who, of course, monetize their outrage.
Your far flung generalizations know no bounds, do they?
Do you really think that JP exists because of Youtube?

Please post a link to someone who you believe is a rational mind for how to live life - and I'' gladly listen.
This was the point of the thread.

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
And Hitler was an artist.
I do enjoy Ben Shapiro from time to time - as a sounding board against the MSM.

Your proclivity to turn absolutely every conversation into an argument, no matter what, says alot.
You seem like a really bitter person.
Not really, I just don't quite understand what were you expecting by posting a video of an intellectual who is solely known for his inflammatory and divisive rhetoric and far-right leanings?

Like Ben Shapiro, he's 'destroying liberals with logic and reason' until they get cornered by logic and reason and forced to face their bigotry.

Then, they either defend with their argument with their ridiculous religious beliefs or storm out of the interviews that challenge them.

That's usually the end of discussion, because religious beliefs are beliefs.

Last edited:
  • Haha

HatterasGlass

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2008
Show me someone who holds it as an article of faith that the group power should never outweigh the individual (a conclusion I'm drawing based on "contrary to everything beneficial") and I'll show you someone who can't cooperate well enough to survive a North American/North Asian/Northern European winter for almost the entirety of homo sapien history.

The war effort in WWII resulted in workers constantly changing jobs as a result of labor (finally) having the power and so price controls were instituted.

The Governor of Georgia bitched and moaned, moaned and bitched, about sending troops to go fight against the Union Army outside the state of Georgia.

I think "teams" is an easy shorthand to describe ideological/voting tendencies in a country of 330M people, not an implicit presupposition that the group power should outweigh the individual. I just don't think that's where the Tea Party or Libertarian teams are coming from, for example.

Quoting the Bible is fine if it's done as a work of fiction. If it's couched in an actual belief in a Christian God or Judeo/Christian ethic, I'd rather ask Albus Dumbledore, Master Yoda, and Gandalf for life advice than the guy who tortured Job to prove a point or who flooded the world because the Deplorables triggered him.
All of that is your opinion - and I will defend your right to it to the death. I believe the Bible as something other than you do - but I'm not going to shove it down your throat. That is a much larger conversation.

Re: teams, the point was that once people stop acknowledging that the individual's rights (i.e. my right to use whatever pronouns I want without threat of penalty of law, for example) outweigh the unhinged masses' absolute tyranny over the use of correct pronouns to address people - we have a real problem. I exist and so do you. Once I stop seeing you as an individual, I stop caring what happens to you - which effects everyone - quickly.

I'm not saying the the United States of America should dissolve because there is no power in the union nor that we shouldn't help each other survive in cold climates.

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
All of that is your opinion - and I will defend your right to it to the death. I believe the Bible as something other than you do - but I'm not going to shove it down your throat. That is a much larger conversation.

Re: teams, the point was that once people stop acknowledging that the individual's rights (i.e. my right to use whatever pronouns I want without threat of penalty of law, for example) outweigh the unhinged masses' absolute tyranny over the use of correct pronouns to address people - we have a real problem. I exist and so do you. Once I stop seeing you as an individual, I stop caring what happens to you - which effects everyone - quickly.

I'm not saying the the United States of America should dissolve because there is no power in the union nor that we shouldn't help each other survive in cold climates.

You're confusing social norms with constitutional rights.

Every American citizen has an absolute right to be an asshole or a racist. It's in the Constitution.

You're just not going to do well in society.

Sry for your loose.

• Dislike

HatterasGlass

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2008
Not really, I just don't quite understand what were you expecting by posting a video of an intellectual who is solely know for his inflammatory and divisive rhetoric and far-right leanings?

Like Ben Shapiro, he's 'destroying liberals with logic and reason' until they get cornered by logic and reason and forced to face their bigotry.

Then, they either defend with their argument with their ridiculous religious beliefs or storm out of the interviews that challenge them.

That's usually the end of discussion, because religious beliefs are beliefs.
I haven't seen that - but I'm early on in my hunt.
JP isn't religious that I can tell. Shapiro - well....yeah. He's a staunch Jew so.....
I havent seen JP or Shapiro's bigotry either.

This thread was meant to spur honest thought and consideration.
If I need to see something I have not about bigotry, etc - please, show me.

I'm open to hearing from a left-leaning "intellectual." I was hoping someone would suggest one.

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
I'm open to hearing from a left-leaning "intellectual." I was hoping someone would suggest one.
There are plenty of them but they don't normally have monetized YouTube channels with millions of subscribers.

They write words, which is not as popular with some folks.

And if you don't know about JP's or BS's bigotry, there's no need to discuss it further.

• Dislike

HatterasGlass

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2008
You're confusing social norms with constitutional rights.

Every American citizen has an absolute right to be an asshole or a racist. It's in the Constitution.

You're just not going to do well in society.

Sry for your loose.
Says the guy who so deeply can't understand his place in society that literally everyone else who has a different opinion than him is the bad guy x 1,000,000 - and is a racist bigot.

I've done pretty well over the last 45 years.
How?
I listen and think before I speak.

You on the other hand.....
Poor, poor widdle you.

• Haha

HatterasGlass

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2008
There are plenty of them but they don't normally have monetized YouTube channels with millions of subscribers.

They write words, which is not as popular with some folks.

And if you don't know about JP's or BS's bigotry, there's no need to discuss it further.
Which is why I made the post.
Its all completely lost on you, isn't it?
:roflmao:

So post a link to one of these enlightened one's words and I will pour over them with genuine and open consideration.
I've asked for this 5 times now.
Shall I resort to hand signals?