The day surfing died in San Diego

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Retail is doing that. I don't see anybody pushing #KeepHawaiiRetailing and doing take out for retail stores. I guess I'm just personally bitter because majority of my clients are retail stores and there's no essential loop hole for them to stay open - they just gotta shut it down.

craigj532

Kelly Slater status
Nov 9, 2002
Retail is doing that. I don't see anybody pushing #KeepHawaiiRetailing and doing take out for retail stores. I guess I'm just personally bitter because majority of my clients are retail stores and there's no essential loop hole for them to stay open - they just gotta shut it down.
Is there maybe some room for retailers to do something similar through on-line sales? Even if all they’re doing is using a platform like Instagram marketplace? I’d like to see a campaign encouraging people to support local retailers by either buying on-line or purchasing gift cards or something. It would seem stupid that I can order from Amazon but not from X local business.

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
I think the public just assumes retail can push online, but not all retail stores have an online presence. Some are scrambling to build one, but general public already know where to shop online (Amazon, ebay, specific stores, etc). In Hawaii there are some stores that do well selling in person, even though you can buy the same item online but if you factor in shipping it's cheaper or easier to buy instore. Well, those stores are now jumping into the giant internet consumer pond and I don't see it working out for them.

Last edited:

Surfdog

Duke status
Apr 22, 2001
South coast OR
We finally decided to go look at new cars at Car Country Carlsbad today.

(Wife had a minor accident in my old faithful 2000 Accord Coupe V6 EX. Bought new and only had 120,000 on it (working from home last 15+ years). She was OK, other car had barely some scratches. She limped it home. It did leak some likely power steering fluid line or break fluid line, not sure? Well, the damage was just enough to consider it totaled, as value was what you might expect of a 20 year old Honda. Loved that car :cry:

Anyway, dealers were basically closed but we could still check out new cars on the lots. A few people around, but not many.

I decide to take the beach route back to O'side from Carlsbad (I always do). PCH was almost summer time busy with cars, people in open park at Cannon, on bikes quite a bit, walking the strand etc; Not sure how many on the sand, but by lack of street parking at north end Terra Mar, I would imagine quite a few down there. A few surfers out, but not many, it was afternoon and wind on it a bit. A little inconsistent south showing, but not much else.

Just before downtown C'bad, and notice the funniest looking sight. A cop car or 2, and a lot people wandering around near the first beach diner on beach side of PCH (forgot name now) and adjacent walkway They had that tiny little triangle strip of grass between PCH and the beach railings yellow CAUTION taped off to prevent people from using that very tiny "park" area. I believe that was C'bad's cops attempt to "close" a section of the beach park area. Comical. Reminded me of Kramer on a Seinfeld episode with his roll of yellow caution tape.

Get to downtown, still pretty busy with cars and people waiting for take-out food at places still open for biz. Some people walking, biking around. Not a whole lot different for a early spring weekend day. Maybe a tad less, but not much. Driving into O'side, a lot of biz closed up and dark. Still cars cruising north and south a bunch.

Stop at my favorite after surf burger/breakfast joint to pick up a sandwich and take to my secret surf spot on the beach to eat lunch and check surf. Need to help keep local diners going, if you can. They are struggling big time with only drive-thru or walk in/take out at best. This one is family owned, and I've watched their little kids grow up there helping out over the last 27 years there. Kids are high school or older now. Husband, wife and maybe one cook working and that was it.

People down at the beach a bit, a few guys out surfing, occasional south sets about shoulder high. Decide to take long way home and go past pier into harbor area to see what's up. Seems I'm far from the only one. Some walking the sidewalks, bikers on road and walks, some on the beaches too. Not packed by any means, but not quiet either.

We'll see how this evolves as weather starts warming up and drying out after the rainy days the last couple weeks?

potato-nator

Phil Edwards status
Nov 10, 2015
were one considering changing their license plates.....
a cue can be taken from electronic toll cheats in NJ and elsewhere.

using black electrical tape change your F to an E or an I to an F etc.
fleets have saved scads of $ by doing this.

OBSurvivor

Legend (inyourownmind)
Oct 25, 2013
What did Joel originally say? I looked through the comments , did he delete his initial comment?

McHatin

Nep status
Apr 11, 2010
Joel is gonna say that he was just kidding, or "lighten up, it was just a joke"

Its what he usually does when a social media comment backfires on him.