The day surfing died in San Diego

john4surf

Kelly Slater status
May 28, 2005
CBS, CA
Are the beaches and waters officially closed or just the parking lots?
The press reported that surfers faced “up to $1000 fine for being in the water.” There have not been surfers out from Swamis to D Street the past week. Interesting that there have been Border Patrol vehicles in closed parking lots from Cardiff, Campgrounds to Swamis past 2-3 days (seen during my morning walks). Must have heard intell that someone’s coming by panga with a load of dope or people...

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
Is surfing still allowed in encinitas? I just counted 20 heads at a spot. Bye bye surfing for the rest of teh county. It's only a matter of time.

sdsurfrat

Michael Peterson status
Jun 2, 2008
Is surfing still allowed in encinitas? I just counted 20 heads at a spot. Bye bye surfing for the rest of teh county. It's only a matter of time.

Yes, Cardiff and Encinitas are still wide open for surfing the only issue is finding parking.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
The local SD news shows the beach every broadcast during the weather segment. As I probably said before, it’s real bad PR if local news shows a bunch of surfers at the beaches, and encourages people from all over the county to drive down in carloads and pack the sand and boardwalks. 2 weekends ago the beaches were packed and it was a sh$tshow. They don’t want that and quickly realized they had to close beaches, parks- to protect people from themselves. That’s the main reason they are stopping it, rather a serious risk of surfers spreading it to each other in the water. It’s the city/state trying to stop everyone else from using the beach (and not distancing) if they see surfers in the water on the news. What self-centered pricks like Tudor fail to understand: it's really not about the surfers. However, surfers are the ones who will be willing to break the rule if there's good surf, so they will be the ones who start getting the $1,000 fines now. It's been flat/crappy lately, so only low-key grumbling, but just wait for the next decent swell.

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
Are the beaches and waters officially closed or just the parking lots?
Zuma and Malibu proper, the word is. If you go on the sand you get warned. If you go out in the water anyway, it's a $1000 fine.

1st has been empty for days. Leading people to question. If it's $50k to surf lemoore, then maybe $1000 to surf empty first isn't so bad.

We'll see how it turns out tomorrow when there's actual swell.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Thing is Joel only starts stuff with people he knows he can get away with.

BJJ is a great sport for people (I personally think the GI is lame and there are plenty of nuthuggers) but let’s be serious. There is a reason BJJ has weight classes.

Dudes like Joel would get wrecked by dudes who weigh 220 lbs and have even a little knowledge of submission defense.

Barca and Joel are one and the same. Not sure who I hate more. Both are grade A losers. Maybe It’s Barca because he pretends he’s Hawaiian when he’s just a white dude from a transplant family who calls others Haoles.
I assume you’ve never sparred with with either of them (Tudor or Barca)?

Reactions: john4surf

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
I assume you’ve never sparred with with either of them (Tudor or Barca)?

For the fun of the discussion....I'm 220, my strongest skill in jiu jitsu is defense(blue belt strong, so, not really), and I would have no confidence against either of those guys. Black belts are...black belts. Especially the skinny lanky dudes. Weight only helps me against guys like that if I'm allowed to hit 'em :LOL:

They still both annoy the shlt out of me. Doesn't feel good agreeing with Joel Tudor in this :confused: but I do.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
For the fun of the discussion....I'm 220, my strongest skill in jiu jitsu is defense(blue belt strong, so, not really), and I would have no confidence against either of those guys. Black belts are...black belts. Especially the skinny lanky dudes. Weight only helps me against guys like that if I'm allowed to hit 'em :LOL:

They still both annoy the shlt out of me. Doesn't feel good agreeing with Joel Tudor in this :confused: but I do.
‘And Joel isnt “just” a black belt. He’s older now but he’s still an elite level black belt. In a room full of black belts he still stands out.

He’s no slouch when it comes to striking as well.

Barca fights pro mma. Anyone who says a big guy with “even a little” submission defense would ‘wreck’ him has no idea what they are talking about.

FecalFace

Duke status
Nov 21, 2008
The Californias
‘And Joel isnt “just” a black belt. He’s older now but he’s still an elite level black belt. In a room full of black belts he still stands out.

Barca fights pro mma. Anyone who says a big guy with “even a little” submission defense would ‘wreck’ him has no idea what they are talking about.
It's just a shame that Joeljitsu is mentally still a white belt.

Reactions: Belchfire1

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
You have no internet?

Sad.

He called health care workers “crisis actors”.

Sounds like a cognitive white belt to me.
‘I generally don’t read the comments on Instagram posts.

I said what I said above only because I have come to know quite a few “known” people in my lifetime. Since the advent of social media (and print media before that) i thought I knew these people before actually getting to know them personally Every single one of them, it turns out, aren’t really much at all like they’re public persona, even when that persona is self cultivated. Sometimes they are publicly loved and turn out to be complete assholes, but mostly it’s the opposite.

One guy in particular is so hated by (probably) millions he has full time body guards and he’s actually a really good dude (who I had no idea who he was when I met him).

So as for Joel, I met him once, rolled with him and exchanged pleasantries. I am fairly well acquainted with a couple of people who know him well and their opinions of him, while they readily admit he’s a polarizing dude, are very much different than what I read here on the forum.

I take no issue with you or others passing judgement on him but because of my own personal experiences with other known (polarizing or not) people I’m not willing to take part in judgement.

HarryLopez

Phil Edwards status
Jan 17, 2007
Neck deep
This is from someone who has never met him, me.

Is this an example of the 'I'm really good at something so that expertise carries over to other things' phenomena. If it is, he should stick to Jiu jitsu, smoking weed, surfing, and irritating people on social media which seems like his shtick from those who know him.

Why would anyone listen to and take seriously his view on this event anyway? His credentials don't give me confidence in his opinion here.

Reactions: bluemarlin04

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015

Ok first off Tudor is not an elite level black belt. Not even close.

Elite level black belts are guys like Gordon Ryan, Eddie bravo, Cyborg.

Guys winning ADCC are elite. Tudor is not one.

Barca and Tudor are both tiny and would get destroyed by legit 220+ lbers who train and now how to fight.

I dunno if you have seen either in person but they aren’t big.