The Corona Cuisine Thread

JBerry

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 8, 2017
Yeah well that overpriced cod did not taste like overpriced cod!
Maybe so nonetheless, but growing up with halibut is good enough for me to skip the cod and pay for the halibut. Used to catch them, but haven’t fished in a while. Sorry you missed out this time!

Reactions: grapedrink

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
Halibut is simply overpriced cod. Change my mind
that said, nice preparation :beer:
I don't understand the price of CA halibut either. Sometimes no flake, and if you barely overcook it, it's stringy and you will require 100yds of dental floss to get it out from between your teeth. Pacific halibut is an entirely different filet.
Real cod has way more oil content and flavor but for the almighty fish taco - IMO the lean halibut meat wins between the two.

JBerry

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 8, 2017
yeah its really hard to pay the $20/lb when used to catch it or pay under $10. Don't get it often but when I do its usually at Andrias Fish Market at Ventura Harbor, sometimes Costco.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
yeah its really hard to pay the $20/lb when used to catch it or pay under $10. Don't get it often but when I do its usually at Andrias Fish Market at Ventura Harbor, sometimes Costco.
I stopped buying the Costco halibut. Not sure how it compares to what you'd get a good fish market? Pretty pricey and I was never excited to eat it. In my experience it is too lean of a fish to get me excited.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
I think halibut is much better than cod. If im paying for it though i usually go cod just because of the price difference.

@afoaf its Elm. Hand carved by a woman in the UK. Green wood spoon carving has been my new pandemic hobby but im still getting there.

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
^ Get some myrtlewood from the river valley up from Gold Beach. Carves like a dream with a dremel. Well, not necessarily from there, just that the soil minerals give the trees (finished wood) in that area a nice look.

JBerry

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 8, 2017
I stopped buying the Costco halibut. Not sure how it compares to what you'd get a good fish market? Pretty pricey and I was never excited to eat it. In my experience it is too lean of a fish to get me excited.
Costco halibut is actually Pacific halibut, which comes from northern cali all the way to alaska, so its probably from alaska.
The local hali I posted was from ventura county probably caught near channel islands somewhere. definitely pinker and thinner, but still da kine!

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Costco halibut is actually Pacific halibut, which comes from northern cali all the way to alaska, so its probably from alaska.
The local hali I posted was from ventura county probably caught near channel islands somewhere. definitely pinker and thinner, but still da kine!
How's the fat content and texture compare? Similar? I noticed you put a pad of butter on it, maybe that's the ticket . . . .

JBerry

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 8, 2017
It's similar, but the pacific is bigger flakes, I guess you'd say? chunkier?

My standard when baking fish is: Halibut, Salmon, Cod.
fresh generous lemon squeeze on raw fish
salt, melts into the lemon juice(kinda like ceviche style)
pepper
dill (fresh or dry)
couple slivers of butter(in case fish is dry, I think it helps)

When BBQ, I sub the salt and pepper for a cajun seasoning.

Leaverite

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
I need to find my mom's recipe for Garlic Cheese bread. She has the original recipe from Rocky Point down south of Carmel. They made the BEST cheese appetizer bread ever. Mom had the recipe. She 's made it. Rocky Point is under new ownership, new management and they don't even have the original recipe.