The Corona Cuisine Thread

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
What is everyone eating? You guys all living on frozen pizza's and mac n cheese or are you making the best of your time home to cook up some good meals?

Share some recipes here...

Last night the GF made Coconut Cod Chowder, highly recommended for a one pot meal...

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
Tonight I'm doing pan seared scallops in butter, vermouth, orange zest and scallions over a bed of greens. Will probably roast up a bunch of veggies that are on the cusp of turning.

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III
Wife and I have been cooking a bunch.
---------------------------
Meatballs (used matzoh ball mix because there was a run on breadcrumbs/panko in my area)
Green lettuce and scallion salad
NV Domaine de La Taille aux Loups Triple Zero (been sitting this at least 3 years, was beautiful)
--------------------------
Cacio e pepe with bacon, 2018 Claudio Morelli Bianchello del Metauro
Corn quesadillas with cheese, Rosarita refried beans, chorizo, avocado from our tree (they keep falling!), Valentina salsa picante. Mezcal Old Fashioned's
Hot Dogs wrapped in Corn Tortillas
Spinach and Scallion Salad
Ciro Picariello Irpinia Fiano 2018
Armenian style pilaf from a recipe from the Armenian Apostolic Church of Sanger, California.
Roasted Chicken with Schmaltzy Onions
2016 La Colombera "Derthona" Timorasso, Colli Tortonesi
-------------------------
Spaghetti & Meatballs
2017 Ignaz Niedrist Kalterersee Auslese Classico
For lunch lots of home-made hummus and celery

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
man i gotta up my recipe game. i usually just freestyle but Im missing out some good stuff.
That cod chowder is surprisingly easy. We had almost everything in the house aside for the cod and leeks. Bought a family pack of frozen cod. Hardest part of cooking it was chopping the veggies. I did the chopping. GF did the cooking and 30 min later we were eating.

On Sunday night I made my grandmother's jewish sweet and sour tomato soup recipe. Made a big pot that we can eat for the next week or so..

-3lbs of Beef Marrow Bones
-2-3 Chopped Onions (Yellow or Brown)
-2 Large Cans of Whole San Marzano Tomatoes with Basil
-Kosher Salt
-Sour Salt
-Sugar
-Cup of White Rice

Salt the bones generously.
Put in stock pot and fill 3/4 way with water and bring to a boil.
Once water boils lower heat to low and keep at a simmer.
Skim the bone scum that rises to the surface and discard.
Add chopped onions
Open cans of tomatoes and pour liquid into the pot.
In a mixing bowl crush the tomatoes by hand and add to the pot.
Let it simmer for about 2hrs or so. The longer the better.
Add 1tbspn of sugar & 1/2 teaspoon of sour salt.
Increase heat to bring to a boil and add raw rice directly to pot and let the rice cook for about 30min. The starch will thicken the soup and don't be afraid to "overcook" the rice till it blooms. You don't want it al dente.
Add additional salt to taste.

This soup gets better when it sits for a day or two as the flavors meld.

ringer

Tom Curren status
Aug 2, 2002
Huntington Beach, California
My wife and I have been cooking a lot, interspersed with takeout. We both know how to cook (although she is better than I in that regard) so there has been no shortage of goodness around here. Tomorrow is our anniversary, so we are ordering a nice sushi meal delivered to the house from a local place that needs the business.

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
My wife and I have been cooking a lot, interspersed with takeout. We both know how to cook (although she is better than I in that regard) so there has been no shortage of goodness around here. Tomorrow is our anniversary, so we are ordering a nice sushi meal delivered to the house from a local place that needs the business.

Yeah we've definitely been mixing our cooking with takeout from a select few restaurants we like and are trying to continue to support. But we're also finding the majority of our kitchen needs available at restaurants who've shifted their models to selling goods such as meat, dairy, produce, baking goods, etc. Only going to the supermarket every few weeks for the things we can't buy from small local operations. One of our favorite local restaurants which is fine dining has miraculously shifted to a takeout model that has almost zero drop-off in quality and they're selling off their wine by the bottle at very fair prices. A bottle that we'd pay $15 a glass for at the restaurant is $15/bottle to go. We bought 4 last time.

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III
One of our favorite local restaurants which is fine dining has miraculously shifted to a takeout model that has almost zero drop-off in quality and they're selling off their wine by the bottle at very fair prices. A bottle that we'd pay $15 a glass for at the restaurant is $15/bottle to go. We bought 4 last time.
There is a lot of this happening and a lot of wine, especially with small production Napa and Sonoma stuff which often is restaurant only (the wineries don't allow sales to shops because they think it's more prestigious to only be in restaurants). Take advantage now. Restaurants generally charge for a glass what they pay for a bottle, 500% markup is not unusual for alcohol in America.

Reactions: $kully

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
Mix between fruits, nuts, vegetables and protein for the norm....

And brisket, pork butt, ribs cooked low and slow for sanity.

Perfecting my chili and have made pozole a couple of times

The SBD's have been eating well

keenfish

Duke status
May 12, 2002
Trona
www.pbase.com
I've been eating like a dog this whole time. Same meals on the same days. I'm over it!

Sandwiches everyday at home and an apple. Then back to the office. Yes, we are still working.

Dinners, same stuff every night. I need some fresh fish and veggies and stuff.. in a real restaurant.

20W-50 and blood

Duke status
Feb 4, 2004
SOCAL
Visit site
real restaurant is the thing, man...THE thing. miss it so much.

currently reheating frozen enchis from the the woman's mom...with some leftover fries from ysterady.

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
Temp and how many minutes?
I go hot, about 450-475 deg and pull it when the meat thermometer reads around 160 (no timer), let it rest for about 15min. I think brining is key & like to stuff it w misc things before wrapping up and trussing.

Reactions: grapedrink
Jan 30, 2014
Santa Cruz Mtns
Wife and I have been cooking a bunch.
---------------------------
Meatballs (used matzoh ball mix because there was a run on breadcrumbs/panko in my area)
Green lettuce and scallion salad
NV Domaine de La Taille aux Loups Triple Zero (been sitting this at least 3 years, was beautiful)
Cacio e pepe with bacon, 2018 Claudio Morelli Bianchello del Metauro
Corn quesadillas with cheese, Rosarita refried beans, chorizo, avocado from our tree (they keep falling!), Valentina salsa picante. Mezcal Old Fashioned's
Hot Dogs wrapped in Corn Tortillas
Spinach and Scallion Salad
Ciro Picariello Irpinia Fiano 2018
Armenian style pilaf from a recipe from the Armenian Apostolic Church of Sanger, California.
Roasted Chicken with Schmaltzy Onions
2016 La Colombera "Derthona" Timorasso, Colli Tortonesi
Spaghetti & Meatballs
2017 Ignaz Niedrist Kalterersee Auslese Classico
For lunch lots of home-made hummus and celery
Made meatballs (for the first time ever) for my kids to have with spaghetti. Added a couple of teaspoons of Worcestershire sauce to the ground beef and mixed with parmesan, garlic, egg and cheerios. I couldn't find breadcrumbs either so took normal cheerios and put them in the blender to sub for the breadcrumbs. Fried the meatballs. Family loved them, I was a hero for the night.