Surfboard volume = your weight / 6

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
Volume needs/wants are going to vary with how the surfer surfs as well. A more powerful surfer needs something to lay into. Too little volume and he has to back off re the force he is putting into his turns. He needs something that enables him to utilize his power. Something that pushes back a little. A big guy swings a bigger bat. If he uses a smaller one he's hamstringing his power advantage.

I used to get guys that would want to chase volume numbers out to the second decimal place. It's absurd. It's a valuable number, but it's hardly the end-all-be-all some people seem to think it is. That said, at 205-210 pounds, I hover around 40 liters. It all varies according to what the board is, what it was designed for, how I'm surfing and what it is being ridden in. Not that long ago I rode a tiny board that was in the sub 35 range, and the board went well in utter slop. The thing was so flat it was ridiculous.

Last edited:

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
I can't go that long without eating. miserable and it affect my energy. Eat healthy every 2-3 hours watching calories works for me.
First couple days were rough.

Now that I’ve done it for a bit I have more energy during the day. Like I said, haven’t napped at all. Used to nap almost every day after lunch. Haven’t eaten yet today. Surfed this morning for a couple hours, trained for a couple hours.

Yes, I’m hungry. I’m always hungry.

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
So the ice bath thing, do you have a freezer in the garage full of bags of ice?

Weirdly, I've been doing the intermittent fasting thing since I was a kid. I would sneak out of the house in the AM with my boards/wetsuits etc and once out the door, I could not be called back for chores, school work, etc. Freedom. No cell phones. Going into the kitchen made too much noise, so I would get up and get out. Jug of water and I was gone.

Most days I have water and black coffee in the AM. No lunch and then I do whatever I want for dinner.

Strangely, if I do eat breakfast, I'm ravenous for lunch. If I skip breakfast, bypassing lunch is easy. :shrug:

Last edited:

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
Apart from riding longer, more buoyant boards I like to:
- have a modest breakfast 3-4 hours after waking up.
- finish dinner at least 3 hours before sleeping.
- have cold showers every day.

Still end up battling a few pounds, but could be worse at 60.

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
Apart from riding longer, more buoyant boards I like to:
- have a modest breakfast 3-4 hours after waking up.
- finish dinner at least 3 hours before sleeping.
- have cold showers every day.

Still end up battling a few pounds, but could be worse at 60.
I'm mostly with you on this but not crazy about cold showers and I cut out dinner altogether if I want to drop weight and eat a couple of apples instead. Evening meals are like filling up a cars fuel tank before parking it in a garage overnight. Your body will want to store that excess fuel as fat.
Far easier to leave out dinner when my wife doesn't cook for me and I don't have to work in our food trailer at night and the other foodies are trying to swap their food for ours.

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.

Weirdly, I've been doing the intermittent fasting thing since I was a kid. I would sneak out of the house in the AM with my boards/wetsuits etc and once out the door, I could not be called back for chores, school work, etc. Freedom. No cell phones. Going into the kitchen made too much noise, so I would get up and get out. Jug of water and I was gone.

Most days I have water and black coffee in the AM. No lunch and then I do whatever I want for dinner.

Strangely, if I do eat breakfast, I'm ravenous for lunch. If I skip breakfast, bypassing lunch is easy. :shrug:
Exactly the same for me- out the door early, no chores.

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
Curious about the ice bath thing too- just got given a mini ice bath thing- haven't used it yet.

No brekky for me- big lunch, tiny dinner.

Same weight now as when I was 19.

Nothing more subjective than the volume of your boards I reckon .

I like 'em slivery for Indo and E swells here.

Volumed up for grovellers, guns and winter time.

Reactions: Aruka

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
I was 190+ when I was in the army ~1984, 170 when I ran a lot, and 178 now.

Love my cold showers :)

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
I was 190+ when I was in the army ~1984, 170 when I ran a lot, and 178 now.

Love my cold showers :)
I toed the line at ironman kona in 2010 at 173 lbs. Been on a steady upward trajectory ever since. Mostly muscle until about 2 years ago started getting that dreaded belly. That’s gone now and I’m at 200 and dropping. Gonna keep going down to about 190 then start blasting the kettlebells.

Reactions: KyleTalbott and Maz

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Bought a chest freezer, sealed the inside, added a temp controller I got from a pet store - for aquariums - an UV water purifier and a particulate filter. Filled with water. Temp controller (freezer plugs into controller, controller plugs into power outlet) keeps it at whatever I set it to. Currently 45.

Total cost was about $1k.

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali
Bought a chest freezer, sealed the inside, added a temp controller I got from a pet store - for aquariums - an UV water purifier and a particulate filter. Filled with water. Temp controller (freezer plugs into controller, controller plugs into power outlet) keeps it at whatever I set it to. Currently 45.

Total cost was about $1k.
Couldn’t you just surf without a wetsuit?

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
Volume needs/wants are going to vary with how the surfer surfs as well. A more powerful surfer needs something to lay into. Too little volume and he has to back off re the force he is putting into his turns. He needs something that enables him to utilize his power. Something that pushes back a little. A big guy swings a bigger bat. If he uses a smaller one he's hamstringing his power advantage.
Interesting. So given two surfers of equal competency levels, one portly, the other a ball of muscle. The more portly one could do with less volume.