Feb 20, 2003
i have mentioned many times: never use fcs plugs for a twin fin
guaranteed breakage
i wouldnt trust their newest boxes either

Reactions: waxfoot

tedshred

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 15, 2008
hey...since we're talkign about wax and suits....can someone PLEASE bring back killer bees? and sh!t...let's get victory to make some newer style suits again!
local shop growing up somehow always smelled like Killer Bees and to this day Im claiming it’s the best smell ever. Terrible grippiness, like parafin wax but the smell made up for it. If you could buy the formula and sell as a lotion you would be a rich man.

• Haha
Reactions: Chocki and rts265

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
Here's one: A few years back my kids surfed in a contest and at the contest someone was giving away some supposedly eco-friendly wax. Forget what it was even called. When they put it on their boards it actually discolored the fiberglass a putrid brown. I had to wet sand the decks of their boards to make it disappear.

Waterlogged05

Michael Peterson status
May 14, 2005
Here's one: A few years back my kids surfed in a contest and at the contest someone was giving away some supposedly eco-friendly wax. Forget what it was even called. When they put it on their boards it actually discolored the fiberglass a putrid brown. I had to wet sand the decks of their boards to make it disappear.
hash wax lol

chilly1

Nep status
Jan 4, 2010
pu wax?

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
Is Patagonia still putting a seam down the middle of their necks? I had a rash the size of alaska on the back of my neck. Noticed that O'Neill and other companies offset the seam to the side. Only plus was that the store took it back and gave me a full refund. I thought Patagonia employs people who actually use their gear. Nobody there knows that we're vertebrates?

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
funny. both of my stay covered leashes have been through hell and back.
Same

The only thing I’ve constantly had trouble with are leash strings. It’s always the part that costs a nickel

I had an X-Trak leash fail at the end of May or beginning of June. I had bought it in 06

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Is Patagonia still putting a seam down the middle of their necks? I had a rash the size of alaska on the back of my neck. Noticed that O'Neill and other companies offset the seam to the side. Only plus was that the store took it back and gave me a full refund. I thought Patagonia employs people who actually use their gear. Nobody there knows that we're vertebrates?
I can't feel the seams due to the fact that they line their suits with what I am assuming is a recycled fiberglass and sandpaper blend.

emmohl80

Nep status
Oct 17, 2010
Gloves. Had two pairs I tore this past winter after maybe a couple sesh each. Oneill/Xcel. Really makes you ponder how bad you wanna get wet when the water is in the 40s.

Waterlogged05

Michael Peterson status
May 14, 2005
Same

The only thing I’ve constantly had trouble with are leash strings. It’s always the part that costs a nickel

I had an X-Trak leash fail at the end of May or beginning of June. I had bought it in 06
X track pads lasted forever, had good grip without being too stiff.
I like the old dakine bruce and andy pads but they dont seem to stick as long.

Reactions: Havoc

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
OK let's talk about self-inflicted equipment failure also known as a cascade of increasingly poor decisions and then one good one.

Got this board, stripped Futures screw upon purchase and not sitting proper. Put a fin in there, knowing sand, salt, etc., will hold it in there via enough friction. All fine and dandy until I want to sell the board. I don't change up equipment often, using the respected Steamroller mentality of running what you brunging.

I know the epoxy trick but I also know that I am highly liable to overdouse and gum up everything even worse. That was actually a good decision. Thinking I could drill into the screw and then back the whole assembly out seemed like a viable alternative. Nope. Screw was stuck in there good. Hmm. Well, let's just break the screw into a million pieces with some vigorous drilling and then flush out the fragments. That actually was going well for a while, I thought, but I could feel it skipping and the last thing I want to do is wreck the threads in the box. Mind you the fin is still in there solid, not going anywhere.

Next option. Break up the fin just in front of the screw and pull it out this way. Sent a series of drill holes in there but man that fin is solid. Also I snapped two drill bits as they grabbed the side of the box. Futility. Finally went in there with a narrow flathead screw driver and slowly ground that part of the fin into dust and could get it out. Couple small gouges in the side of the fin box and seat but nothing that will hurt performance. Long story short, screw apparently bent as a result of trying to shatter it.

A point halfway through, I was really wishing I had just gotten the whole box replaced right from the getgo. But when you've come that far, you can't admit defeat and I was not willing to get the quintessential (and well-deserved) Ralph Drabble glare from the ding repair guy. :oops: