stretch boards support and board pron thread

PeterDj

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jul 11, 2018
You can choose different rocker templates for the buzzsaw as well. Speed buzz for example is low rocker in the tail. I think most off the shelf buzzsaw have higher rocker. When you get a custom Stretch will figure out the rocker needed based on your weight and type of wave you want to charge.

Reactions: rowjimmytour

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
You can choose different rocker templates for the buzzsaw as well. Speed buzz for example is low rocker in the tail. I think most off the shelf buzzsaw have higher rocker. When you get a custom Stretch will figure out the rocker needed based on your weight and type of wave you want to charge.
This and why important "USA" tell Dylan some and even more about local surf conditions, waves, etc both my superbuzz and buzzsaw are souped up for high end insane what they can handle at dat size:waving:

brukuns

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
This and why important "USA" tell Dylan some and even more about local surf conditions, waves, etc both my superbuzz and buzzsaw are souped up for high end insane what they can handle at dat size:waving:
Gonna be perfectly honest with you... Not sure how I felt about their feedback. for starters, I mentioned that I understand my superbuzz is oversized at 5'9'' and that's probably why it feels rather stiff. He said he doesn't think so because his superbuzz is a 5'10'' :trout:.

And I also felt like he never got into much detail on what makes the Buzzsaw tick, how it can feel different from the Thing or Skate...I'm super detail oriented, felt a bit lackluster.

Would love to pick Riedel's brain on this.

johnson7

Nep status
Sep 29, 2016
Gonna be perfectly honest with you... Not sure how I felt about their feedback. for starters, I mentioned that I understand my superbuzz is oversized at 5'9'' and that's probably why it feels rather stiff. He said he doesn't think so because his superbuzz is a 5'10'' :trout:.

And I also felt like he never got into much detail on what makes the Buzzsaw tick, how it can feel different from the Thing or Skate...I'm super detail oriented, felt a bit lackluster.

Would love to pick Riedel's brain on this.
[/QUOTE

I would call the factory, and try and talk to Dylan or Stretch? I would have some notes, and be ready to ask the questions you want answered, be as specific as you can. For me both those boards are very different, but can be used in the same conditions, I would say the buzzsaw for me works better in punchy conditions. I think the superbuzz is pretty gnarly though, more user friendly, and really confidence inspiring in a broader range of conditions.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Agree with johnson7 brukuns but since Stretch factory super busy and some times hard to contact by phone and you are calling from Brazzoland I would email detailed letters with all your questions, feedback, wants etc including pics of superbuzz and of course dims likes and dislikes etc. When I order a board from Stretch I start off every time regardless of times with age, height, weight, and years surfing. Next add model(s) interested in and always have a board height, width, and thickness in mind. Stretch has only suggested changing my width on buzzsaw and 2x4 step up and I trusted him and both times worked out great along with all my custom stretch boards. Next any or all my current board quivers even non stretch boards or borrowed etc dims and likes and dislikes etc. Then I go into detail of waves I surf etc and what size(s) I expect board to perform.
Brukuns I think a buzzsaw close to your superbuzz dims depending on wave conditions you expect to ride shave some width and thickness etc would be perfect with your favorite tail:cheers:

brukuns

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
Agree with johnson7 brukuns but since Stretch factory super busy and some times hard to contact by phone and you are calling from Brazzoland I would email detailed letters with all your questions, feedback, wants etc including pics of superbuzz and of course dims likes and dislikes etc. When I order a board from Stretch I start off every time regardless of times with age, height, weight, and years surfing. Next add model(s) interested in and always have a board height, width, and thickness in mind. Stretch has only suggested changing my width on buzzsaw and 2x4 step up and I trusted him and both times worked out great along with all my custom stretch boards. Next any or all my current board quivers even non stretch boards or borrowed etc dims and likes and dislikes etc. Then I go into detail of waves I surf etc and what size(s) I expect board to perform.
Brukuns I think a buzzsaw close to your superbuzz dims depending on wave conditions you expect to ride shave some width and thickness etc would be perfect with your favorite tail:cheers:
Thanks! Those are good suggestions.

I would hate to get in the way of their day if it's too busy, but I would much rather talk this over the phone if possible. I'll call them using Skype, it's really cheap so spending time on the phone isn't an issue (at least for me)...

But I get it... if they're way too busy it might be easier for them to just answer emails. I'll probably give it a try over the phone first though (all you mentioned in mind)... If they answer I'll be very clear I can just send an email if they're too busy, but would really like to make that first contact over the phone and introduce myself so they can see I'm not a dick so they might want to help out.

Definitely like my SB... but I'm really looking for something familiar but also different for similar conditions... again, my SB does not go great in steep surf (it's just passable), so definitely filling that gap, but don't want a board just for that either. it just have to do it better than my current SB.

Someday down the line it's definitely possible I'll try a SB again. but mine is still going strong... a bit oversized but the fun and comfort are there. I rather get something different before refining what I already have.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Thanks! Those are good suggestions.

I would hate to get in the way of their day if it's too busy, but I would much rather talk this over the phone if possible. I'll call them using Skype, it's really cheap so spending time on the phone isn't an issue (at least for me)...

But I get it... if they're way too busy it might be easier for them to just answer emails. I'll probably give it a try over the phone first though (all you mentioned in mind)... If they answer I'll be very clear I can just send an email if they're too busy, but would really like to make that first contact over the phone and introduce myself so they can see I'm not a dick so they might want to help out.

Definitely like my SB... but I'm really looking for something familiar but also different for similar conditions... again, my SB does not go great in steep surf (it's just passable), so definitely filling that gap, but don't want a board just for that either. it just have to do it better than my current SB.

Someday down the line it's definitely possible I'll try a SB again. but mine is still going strong... a bit oversized but the fun and comfort are there. I rather get something different before refining what I already have.
This is why I am suggesting buzzsaw would be good fit and you can down or up gear each model to your preference in waves. I think your superbuzz dims are pretty close to how you would want your buzzsaw give or take 1/2"-3/4" +/- in width and thickness :cheers:

• Love
Reactions: brukuns

PeterDj

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jul 11, 2018
I write up massive dissertations to Stretch giving him feedback on my boards I have now and I what I want in the future. He seems to enjoy reading emails if they have useful feedback and questions. I'm not a 20 year old division 1 swimmer anymore, so any fine tuning he can do to help me get into waves easier and maintain high performance is worth the long detailed write-ups.

brukuns

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
I write up massive dissertations to Stretch giving him feedback on my boards I have now and I what I want in the future. He seems to enjoy reading emails if they have useful feedback and questions. I'm not a 20 year old division 1 swimmer anymore, so any fine tuning he can do to help me get into waves easier and maintain high performance is worth the long detailed write-ups.
I do love writing long ass throughly detailed emails. :computer:

Seriously, funny you mentioned this, I was wondering just now if they would read the amount of detail I could throw at them or if I should somehow fight all of my inner instincts and actually go straight to the point. :bricks:

Now I'm thinking I'll have at it!

Stretch, prepare to read the story of my life...

brukuns

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
It all started
It used to be if you called early, Stretch would answer you the phone. Early US hours. But i dunno these days.

So you’re boards are made in Brazil?
Yup. It seems the same guys also shape JCs.

When I had my SB shaped they didn't do CFT yet so I went with EPS Tech (their construction is amazing, a single ding in 4 years and that's because I dropped it in the bathroom). It seems they have the whole shabang now, even DFT. I'm not sure if they use Marko Foam though, probably not. I know their CFTs do have some kind of fancy stringer, but it's not bamboo as the boards made in Santa Cruz.

But the main reason I'm deciding to go stretch again is because of how solid the construction is. It's worth the investment. I'll probably go DFT once I decide exactly what I want.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
It used to be if you called early, Stretch would answer you the phone. Early US hours. But i dunno these days.

So you’re boards are made in Brazil?
I think around 4pm PST is when Dylan hits the desk and checks computer, orders etc:shrug: seems like my last 2 orders he would answer my emails in afternoon and call me about ? mid morning but the guy multi-task all day:cheers:

Reactions: brukuns

brukuns

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
Managed to get Stretch on the phone :applause2:!

I didn't get into that much detail, but after some quick back and forth, this is what he suggested:

5'10 x 19 1/2 x 2.3 sk8 deck buzzsaw swallow tail. @31.8l

My only concern is the freaking sk8 deck... When I ordered my super sized Gbuzz (at 38 freaking liters), it had the sk8 deck and it would pearl on any wave guaranteed. Sure, I know the problem was really with how thick the board was (I stupidly insisted on the thickness, I didn't realize at the time that the thickness is measured on the thinnest part of the deck).

So like this one time when I ate bad oysters one afternoon then had a burger later that night with lots os mayo. I had a nasty case of food poisoning due to the oysters but couldn't eat Mayo for years. The Sk8 deck was not to blame, but I did get a bit traumatized anyway... what if somehow the sk8 deck makes me pearl on take offs like that gbuzz did?! :bricks:

PeterDj

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jul 11, 2018
I have sk8 deck on all of my boards except 2x4 step up. Pearling is caused by low rocker and wider nose on the g-buzz. I don't think it will be an issue with buzzsaw. In fact the sk8 deck might help prevent some pearling with more volume up front like a beak nose. The DFT might help too since it can flex more and contour with the wave shape better.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Managed to get Stretch on the phone :applause2:!

I didn't get into that much detail, but after some quick back and forth, this is what he suggested:

5'10 x 19 1/2 x 2.3 sk8 deck buzzsaw swallow tail. @31.8l

My only concern is the freaking sk8 deck... When I ordered my super sized Gbuzz (at 38 freaking liters), it had the sk8 deck and it would pearl on any wave guaranteed. Sure, I know the problem was really with how thick the board was (I stupidly insisted on the thickness, I didn't realize at the time that the thickness is measured on the thinnest part of the deck).

So like this one time when I ate bad oysters one afternoon then had a burger later that night with lots os mayo. I had a nasty case of food poisoning due to the oysters but couldn't eat Mayo for years. The Sk8 deck was not to blame, but I did get a bit traumatized anyway... what if somehow the sk8 deck makes me pearl on take offs like that gbuzz did?! :bricks:
Brukuns my gbuzz has 2 -3/8" sk8 and that is same as 2-5/8" most of the meat is in middle. My buzzsaw has 2-1/8" =2-3/8" and is super foiled hp but I think if you want less foiled and you normally surf 2-3/8" I would go 2-1/8" buzzsaw unless you want more low end :shaka: