stretch boards support and board pron thread

brukuns

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
Talked to the Stretch guys here in Brazil today.

I explained how I have this 5'9 Superbuzz at 34l, and how I want something a bit quicker with a more refined tail, still a daily driver but better at hollower waves... At the same time I still appreciate how the Superbuzz is easy and forgiving. Going down to approximately 32l.

He recommended the BuzzSaw... He would make sure to make the rail slightly narrower and a bit more refined (I want to move away a bit more from my bulky superbuzz tail). But I would leave off the sk8 deck, didn't have a good experience with it on my gbuzz (which I soldright away).

My concern is... isn't the buzzsaw always done with the sk8 deck in mind? and by making the tail narrower am I not missing out on what the buzzsaw should be about?

Other than that... still unsure between the Thing and the Buzzsaw. The shaper seems to think the buzzsaw is a better paddler and probably has a better lower end then the thing.

Do you guys have any experience on either? What can I expect?

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009

I explained how I have this 5'9 Superbuzz at 34l, and how I want something a bit quicker with a more refined tail, still a daily driver but better at hollower waves... At the same time I still appreciate how the Superbuzz is easy and forgiving. Going down to approximately 32l.

He recommended the BuzzSaw... He would make sure to make the rail slightly narrower and a bit more refined (I want to move away a bit more from my bulky superbuzz tail). But I would leave off the sk8 deck, didn't have a good experience with it on my gbuzz (which I soldright away).

My concern is... isn't the buzzsaw always done with the sk8 deck in mind? and by making the tail narrower am I not missing out on what the buzzsaw should be about?

Other than that... still unsure between the Thing and the Buzzsaw. The shaper seems to think the buzzsaw is a better paddler and probably has a better lower end then the thing.

Brukuns I have a buzzsaw and think it would be perfect and sk8 deck is personal design I happen to love it but if you do go sk8 take a 1/4" off your thickness all the meat is in the middle and rails are foiled so it allows for more sensitive rails and nice foot leverage and nice feel under foot (think skateboard concave doing carves on.vertical wall). I have a quiver of buzz boards starting gbuzz grovel and up, then superbuzz geared more high end does not like mush, and then my buzzsaw is my hpsb for good days I need longer rail.
5'8" 170#
Gbuzz 5'2" x20 25" x2.375" sk8 diamond tail FU#3 quad
Superbuzz 5'2" x19.5" x2.375" thumb tail FU#2 quad
Buzzsaw 5'7" x19" x2.18" sk8 pintail FU#2 quad

Reactions: brukuns

spjones123

Legend (inyourownmind)
Oct 24, 2005

Please meet the Speedbuzz. It’s the Super Buzz rocker (less entry and exit rocker than a Buzzsaw) put into the Buzzsaw outline. Mine is 5’10 20 wide, 32L

49082B8B-67AC-4FE1-AF6B-E3F91927A79C.jpeg

brukuns

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
Brukuns I have a buzzsaw and think it would be perfect and sk8 deck is personal design I happen to love it but if you do go sk8 take a 1/4" off your thickness all the meat is in the middle and rails are foiled so it allows for more sensitive rails and nice foot leverage and nice feel under foot (think skateboard concave doing carves on.vertical wall). I have a quiver of buzz boards starting gbuzz grovel and up, then superbuzz geared more high end does not like mush, and then my buzzsaw is my hpsb for good days I need longer rail.
5'8" 170#
Gbuzz 5'2" x20 25" x2.375" sk8 diamond tail FU#3 quad
Superbuzz 5'2" x19.5" x2.375" thumb tail FU#2 quad
Buzzsaw 5'7" x19" x2.18" sk8 pintail FU#2 quad
Those are some aggressive dims! rsrs

Thinking Buzzsaw around 5'11'' x 19 7/8 x 2.38...no sk8 deck. Still deciding between a squash, round or even round pin (might be a bit overkill) tails...

Reactions: rowjimmytour

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Those are some aggressive dims! rsrs

Thinking Buzzsaw around 5'11'' x 19 7/8 x 2.38...no sk8 deck. Still deciding between a squash, round or even round pin (might be a bit overkill) tails...
Tails are another personal design that does not effect the over all board design so go with what ever your comfortable with or try some thing new.

spjones123

Legend (inyourownmind)
Oct 24, 2005
Looks awesome, but actually do want that little bit of extra rocker the Buzzsaw has. I would be all over that superbuzz of yours though :beer:
So take this with a grain of salt…opinions are like assho…..

But the more I go back and forth between hybrids and “short boards” the less I now think I need more rocker. What I really need is just less nose area/rail curve. The Skate is my all time fav Stretch and it’s entry rocker is really flat….less than the Superbuzz. But I never ever catch the nose on late drops.

Again grain of salt. I don’t know where you surf, how you surf etc tc. J.O.B. rides a Buzzsaw at Pipe. He needs rocker!!

the main difference between the Thing and the Buzz is bottom contour. The Thing/Skate are single all the way through (my current Skate is single to double). Most boards these days are some sort of single to double (like the buzz). I‘d think youre more likely to notice that, between the two, rather than small rocker differences or tail shapes?

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
So take this with a grain of salt…opinions are like assho…..

But the more I go back and forth between hybrids and “short boards” the less I now think I need more rocker. What I really need is just less nose area/rail curve. The Skate is my all time fav Stretch and it’s entry rocker is really flat….less than the Superbuzz. But I never ever catch the nose on late drops.

Again grain of salt. I don’t know where you surf, how you surf etc tc. J.O.B. rides a Buzzsaw at Pipe. He needs rocker!!

the main difference between the Thing and the Buzz is bottom contour. The Thing/Skate are single all the way through (my current Skate is single to double). Most boards these days are some sort of single to double (like the buzz). I‘d think youre more likely to notice that, between the two, rather than small rocker differences or tail shapes?
I know Nathan Fletcher rides buzzsaw at pipe his buzzsaw quiver inspired me to order mine several years ago but did not know JOB rode buzzsaw or even he rode Stretch boards:shrug:

Last edited:

paunch23

Billy Hamilton status
Jun 27, 2011
Rep. of Panama, La Barqueta, David, Chiriquí
Please meet the Speedbuzz. It’s the Super Buzz rocker (less entry and exit rocker than a Buzzsaw) put into the Buzzsaw outline. Mine is 5’10 20 wide, 32L

View attachment 113588
Soo this is the detuned buzzsaw!! Nice.

i’ve had a few stretches. I didn’t like the skate sized like my usual shortboards. I did like the skate shorter and wider. The Thing is good, but mine felt too small. I went using it on bigger surf and so it started feeling undervolumed. and i also would rather surf my snappy superbuzz (which is sized perfectly) than my thingv2. Is just more fun!!
So now….i Just ordered a square one. Hair Bigger dims , more foam than my thingv2 this time. We’ll See what happens… but that speedbuzz is making me secondguess my order

brukuns

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
My crazy little head is starting to take a u-turn and thinking of ordering a smaller, more refined Superbuzz...

Mine is 5'9''x 20,5 x 2,43... at 34l.

Thinking maybe a 5'7 x 20,25 x 2,43, 32ishl. Ask them to make the tail a bit more refined too.

• Haha
Reactions: MathDebater

brukuns

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
I'll sit on the idea a bit longer...

smaller and more refined Superbuzz. It would be cool because I would have been able to have fine tuned something that was already working for me... but I was really hoping to move away from the super wide nose type of board.

Thing V2... afraid it might be too performy for me, maybe hard to control. Also afraid I might lose more user friendliness than I was willing to. Can this catch waves easy?

Buzzsaw... Also unsure if it's too much on the performance side, but definitely leaning towards it.

Skate? Heard lots of positives but not enough detail... not sure what to expect.

paunch23

Billy Hamilton status
Jun 27, 2011
Rep. of Panama, La Barqueta, David, Chiriquí
my suprbuzz has skate deck thing goin on... I was on the quad fish wagon but got tired of it. I couldn't turn the thing as hard as I wanted (archer). it does have kinda flat rocker and wide tail. So I was like: " fck should I get a smaller quad fish? " But the guys at Stretch said, just get a super buzz. A Hair smaller. Apparently those two have the same outlines.
their suggestion was spot on. in fact, even at same dims as the quad fish , the super buzz would have been more snappy and hp.
fish 5'6x20x2.4
super 5'5x19.75x2.1sk8 deck

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
I'll sit on the idea a bit longer...

smaller and more refined Superbuzz. It would be cool because I would have been able to have fine tuned something that was already working for me... but I was really hoping to move away from the super wide nose type of board.

Thing V2... afraid it might be too performy for me, maybe hard to control. Also afraid I might lose more user friendliness than I was willing to. Can this catch waves easy?

Buzzsaw... Also unsure if it's too much on the performance side, but definitely leaning towards it.

Skate? Heard lots of positives but not enough detail... not sure what to expect.
Brukuns I think most important ? for you is do you plan on riding new board as thruster or quad? I really do think buzz designs work best as quads and if you want a 5 fin box model go 2x4 or 5150. If you are going thruster sk8 or thing but also remember single to double is a buzz bottom and I think the sk8 and maybe thing have single bottom:shrug: That said all my buzz boards have 5 boxes but only did this in case I ever sold to add value and only planned on riding them as quads:shaka: Why move away from wide nose? This design really helps with superbuzz design but also super and mr buzz was meant to be short and stubby (6" shorter then height). If you do not feel comfortable going short and stubby and still like single to double goodness go buzzsaw. This board was designed to give you more rail to work with more traditional drop on peak etc instead of sb design to launch under lip some times late drops seam of pants sk8 in surf. The newer version of mr buzz and sb gives more rail flatter deck 5150 with some crazy concave out back. I really think you need to talk to brazzo stretch crew and tell them age, experience, height, weight, surf conditions you surf, what you like/dislike current board and others etc, and what you expect with new one:cheers:

Last edited:
Reactions: brukuns

brukuns

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
Brukuns I think most important ? for you is do you plan on riding new board as thruster or quad? I really do think buzz designs work best as quads and if you want a 5 fin box model go 2x4 or 5150. If you are going thruster sk8 or thing but also remember single to double is a buzz bottom and I think the sk8 and maybe thing have single bottom:shrug: That said all my buzz boards have 5 boxes but only did this in case I ever sold to add value and only planned on riding them as quads:shaka: Why move away from wide nose? This design really helps with superbuzz design but also super and mr buzz was meant to be short and stubby (6" shorter then height). If you do not feel comfortable going short and stubby and still like single to double goodness go buzzsaw. This board was designed to give you more rail to work with more traditional drop on peak etc instead of sb design to launch under lip some times late drops seam of pants sk8 in surf. The newer version of mr buzz and sb gives more rail flatter deck 5150 with some crazy concave out back. I really think you need to talk to brazzo stretch crew and tell them age, experience, height, weight, surf conditions you surf, what you like/dislike current board and others etc, and what you expect with new one:cheers:
I talked with them yesterday, gave them a bunch of feedback. Apparently the Buzzsaw is the sensible choice being in the buzz family and all. I wish I could get my hands on one before making up my mind, hard to tell how much rocker it really has.

brukuns

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
you also asked about quads vs trusters... I'm really opened to using both really.

I have always surfed thrusters. And recently I felt like my SB was lacking some speed and being a bit hard to turn on some days, so I decided to put some k.21 quads I had lying around. The thing went nuts! Made the board super fast and snappier.

Then again I had another day when it was a bit too big and a bit wobbly ... that day I felt like the truster would have been better to keep speed more manageable, the board was really skipping with the quads.

So I'd say I would have to feel the board and use what works best. I understand Stretch boards work great as quads, and I'm totally opened to it (and is pretty much all I've been riding lately anyway). I just wish I could get a gold on the STD2s here in Brazil.

spjones123

Legend (inyourownmind)
Oct 24, 2005
I talked with them yesterday, gave them a bunch of feedback. Apparently the Buzzsaw is the sensible choice being in the buzz family and all. I wish I could get my hands on one before making up my mind, hard to tell how much rocker it really has.
Just ask them to send you the file first. Stretch in the US has given me all the measurements before ever putting in the final order. I never try to change’em, but it’s just fun to see exactly what you’re getting.

I don’t think they’d be cool with me posting the actual file. But here’s a 5’10 skate entry vs 5’10 speedbuzz. At minimum they can pass along something like this for the models you’re considering.

0"​
12"​
24"​
Stretch Skate
4​
1.06​
0.18​
Stretch SuperBuzz
4.44​
1.22​
0.24​