stretch boards support and board pron thread

frontsidegrab

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 4, 2014
yeah, i probably should've mentioned that I sized it for island style quasi step up conditions. When I'm in OBSF for work, it's definitely not what I ride as my step up!
Although, I think you're in South Bay, right rowjimmy? I used that size with great success around that area.
I'm 6' 185lbs for reference.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
crotchgrab said:
yeah, i probably should've mentioned that I sized it for island style quasi step up conditions. When I'm in OBSF for work, it's definitely not what I ride as my step up!
Although, I think you're in South Bay, right rowjimmy? I used that size with great success around that area.
I'm 6' 185lbs for reference.
805 area so think big Jalama once or maybe twice a year local beach break and any think North of me..

retodd

Duke status
Feb 23, 2009
Sounds like you want the step up version of the 2x4

Streamlined foil and template plus added rocker with toned down concaves

PeterDj

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jul 11, 2018
I used to live down there, my longest board was a 6'6" that got me into waves at Morro 99% of the time. When I moved up here is only when I needed to go longer, just didn't have the paddle strength to chase down waves here. That's also because I'm older and not surfing everyday like the good old days. A 2x4 in the 6'2-6'6 range should be plenty.

MrSteve

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 1, 2015
NJ
Re: Stretch IT.
What kind of waves are y'all riding your IT in? He recently posted a shorter one (6-4 set up as 2 +1) for Gooch which has piqued my interest compared to the usual 7'+ ITs. However, I'm dealing with East Coast beachbreak, so figure maybe this is for more lined up, long walled waves?

Dorado

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 25, 2007
Stretch IT , please someone give me a reason not to buy the one that my buddy selling .
I actually enjoy surfing all kinds of midlength sbdvlingfish over the years but tend to get too greedy on them lol .

Dorado

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 25, 2007
Picked up a stock 7’6 IT , rode it in clean not so poweful but punchy 3-4-5 ft short period beach break peaks. Coming in real flat but super groomed . ST2 felt a little sticky in this size range .on the shoulder high sets that were feeling the bar board felt good . Got a couple nice little kegs and pocket rides . Not a lotta open face to do wraps mostly pumping down the line or pulling into little shacks . Destroyed my knee on a bombing day so picked this up to ride on the smaller
Days as it’s still sprained pretty good . So far so good but I’ve always had good luck with stretch boards .

Jan 8, 2014
Caught inside
I've had 2 skates, one was a 5'10" I bought off Tommy with the coolest pyschedelic spray on the bottom. Sold it to a friend and never stopped regretting it, probably most magic board I've ever owned. Got another Skate used a while back, love it but it's a little small and I tend to lose the rail on bottom turn when the wave has any real juice.

Looking for something to be a slight step-up from that but a DD for usually bad Norcal waves. I'm 6'0" 195 and like shorter, wider boards with solid volume under the chest. Thinking about a slightly squished Thing or a Thing with a pugged nose--anyone ridden something like that? Or got thoughts?

The Trashman

Gerry Lopez status
Jun 22, 2009
Im in the exact same boat, lol. Had a skate that I love, thinking of either getting another with slightly more tail rocker or trying a thing with maybe a touch less (tail rocker). Also surfing meh Central CA waves chest - overhead and like shorter/wider boards.

johnson7

Nep status
Sep 29, 2016
Rad board for sure, 2 sessions in on it and loving it.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7809/33387363028_9453375aee_b.jpg
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7848/32321293487_0b5dd1b744_b.jpg
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7808/47263087601_0f45dc24fc_b.jpg

Sorry about the previous post

bobsacamano

OTF status
Apr 9, 2016
Anyone running upright twins in their 2Win? I've had the CC Keels in it and they work well, but I'm curious about how an upright set will go as they are set pretty far back.

MrSteve

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 1, 2015
NJ
b_sacamano said:
Anyone running upright twins in their 2Win? I've had the CC Keels in it and they work well, but I'm curious about how an upright set will go as they are set pretty far back.
2win or 2win fish?

thekadvang

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jan 29, 2013
i think we're central
b_sacamano said:
Been riding my 2win for over a year now and rode it a bunch with the AMT twins to start. It felt pretty good and then as soon as I put real keels in it (Futures K2) it felt way better. Way more drive and positivity, if a bit less pivot/snap.

Rode the K2s for a while and then got some lovelace piggyback keels, which seem to be the best of both worlds. Keels were a bit weird backside and tended to draw out turns and I surf beachbreak 99% of the time.

I would like to try some slightly larger upright fins than the AMT again and see how they go. Stretch recommended his own template in a 5.125", which has more area to my eye than the AMT.

bobsacamano

OTF status
Apr 9, 2016
Cool, thanks for the feedback. The CC Keels do feel good, not as tracky as the Hobie ones I had on there at first. I have some NPJ Twin+1 side fins I might throw in there to try because they are pretty massive for upright twins.

rkgoshi

OTF status
Jul 29, 2012
Anybody surf the new DFT construction? Comments, review, ride feedback...

http://www.stretchboards.com/news/2018/08/29/dft-construction-explained/

PeterDj

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jul 11, 2018
I have a 2win in DFT nearly identical to the one in that video. It does what Stretch says it is supposed to do. Generally speaking, stringerless will flex more and turn quicker. The bamboo strip slows down the compression/rebound rate so it isn't as chattery as a fully EPS stringerless board. You probably won't notice it much in weak conditions, but when its more critical it kind of gives a cushion effect, like the board slots in the pocket easier, but turns remain quick and easy. The added wrap around the tail helps keep the pop and adds durability. I also have a couple boards in Legacy construction, they are more stiffer because of the stringer but also have that dampening effect. I would say it just feels softer/smoother flowing through the water.