stretch boards support and board pron thread

SixtyGrit

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 3, 2015
SD
I've been laboring over a good step down from a 6' 2x4 that I'm in love with. Thinking a Thing v2 with a touch of double, or maybe a buzz saw. Something I can really dial in, and ride many days out of the year when it's not proper step up conditions. Like... Daily driver+ at like 5'9ish

Recos? Experiences?

rkgoshi

OTF status
Jul 29, 2012
Tanks Ninjapete! CFT, DFT, Legacy... I appreciate your feedback on DFT and did not expect feedback on the Legacy construction.

Of the three constructions, which would you recommend for the elusive one board, minimalist, daily driver quiver killer? I live in Maui which is normally windy...

PeterDj

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jul 11, 2018
Legacy 2x4 with round pin is my main for over head at Ocean Beach SF, which is always windy and choppy. But, I use my DFT 2win on smaller closeout barrel days. The new 5150 looks awesome too, but I haven't tried it.

The Trashman

Gerry Lopez status
Jun 22, 2009
SixtyGrit said:
I've been laboring over a good step down from a 6' 2x4 that I'm in love with. Thinking a Thing v2 with a touch of double, or maybe a buzz saw. Something I can really dial in, and ride many days out of the year when it's not proper step up conditions. Like... Daily driver+ at like 5'9ish

Recos? Experiences?
I was thinking a lot about this. A Skate with a touch more tail rocker or a Thing with a touch less would be ideal for daily central CA waves (for me). Was leaning towards the Skate, but then a quadfish came up and I had to jump on it...but
I have a skate that I rode into the ground.

I think a buzzsaw is for good/really good waves.

paunch23

Billy Hamilton status
Jun 27, 2011
Rep. of Panama, La Barqueta, David, Chiriquí
let us know how you like your quad fish. If i understand correctly, the rocker on the quad fish is unique compared to his shortboards' rockers. or something like that...???

also, there's that IWNW shorty. maybe that's what u guys are after?
My thing v2 is very whippy.

PeterDj

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jul 11, 2018
I've got the fat bat in Legacy construction. It's basically a quadfish combo with Mr. Buzz. I got it in legacy construction because it is more of a travel board for groveling, so it can take a beating. It's heavier and stiffer than my DFT 2win, but it picks up fat waves easy and once it gets going is super fast. I also asked Stretch to put a slight belly in the nose for choppy wind blown days. I think it helps, especially if you turn more off the nose like snowboard, it slides a little kind of smoothing things out. If you snowboard allot, then you know what I mean by turning off the nose and having it slip some. But, the stiffness did motive me to get the DFT 2win for closeout barrel days where more flex helps with late drops etc...

https://www.instagram.com/p/BmTtpRDHF618Ti59NAhds4LhEXZ7EpqxIV3t340/

https://www.instagram.com/p/BUzSKsOAhi-/?taken-by=stretchboards

Oh yeah, if you look at the tail pad placement on my board vs. the demo stretch you can see for reference how wide the tail is. I ended up taking the pad off and putting on a new one spaced out wide like the demo because with booties my toe would slip off even with extra wax when trying to edge quickly on late drops.

And the rocker is much lower than the 2win or 2x4. Low and very little double concave to vee. It's purely built for speed.

rts265

Phil Edwards status
Oct 19, 2007
SixtyGrit said:

Recos? Experiences?
I'd go buzz saw - its got a lower range than you'd think, both thing and saw are not grovelers IMO

saw has the single to double which you are familiar with from the 2x4, saw can handle large stuff too, as well as the thing

IDK - I've had two things and two pugs and was just bored with my last pug

got a buzzsaw and ride it exclusively for a while now, super excited to surf it

it's really down to preference between those two IMO - you want to try something new? get the thing

if you want something for even lower range get the quadfish, it can handle larger surf than you'd think, but best small wave option between the three

SixtyGrit

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 3, 2015
SD
rts265 said:
SixtyGrit said:

Recos? Experiences?
I'd go buzz saw - its got a lower range than you'd think, both thing and saw are not grovelers IMO

saw has the single to double which you are familiar with from the 2x4, saw can handle large stuff too, as well as the thing

IDK - I've had two things and two pugs and was just bored with my last pug

got a buzzsaw and ride it exclusively for a while now, super excited to surf it

it's really down to preference between those two IMO - you want to try something new? get the thing

if you want something for even lower range get the quadfish, it can handle larger surf than you'd think, but best small wave option between the three
Super helpful. FYI I own a quadfish, super buzz, and Square 1 as well. Had a Mr. Buzz for a hot second too. Sounds like a buzz saw might be the missing link I've been looking for.

Waterlogged05

Michael Peterson status
May 14, 2005
Saw this badboy on Craigslist
6'4” x 19.375 x 2.68 Stretch for sale. W Channels and Futures
https://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/spo/d/64-surfboard/6874173647.html

rts265

Phil Edwards status
Oct 19, 2007
Sixty - this is my third buzzsaw

first one I went sk8 deck and it came out way too much volume - and the wide tail was a beast for me not having ridden boards with tails so wide

second I went sk8 again and too little volume and rounded pin - I had been riding my quadfish almost exclusively for a while so the tail was too narrow - for me

quadfish really ruined me for more traditional hpsb boards so had sold my thing and skate, wanted to get back on a more performance oriented board. talked to stretch and he said go pug (its just a pugged thing). for some reason I was just bored with it and found it lacking in some areas - it doesn't just go when the waves get a bit on the softer side. I was able to sell it for a decent amount.

everytime i'd pull up to the beach and the waves were pitching but not giant i was cursing myself for selling my buzzsaw. So, I called them up. I finally got the dims right on this one. I went wider and longer than you'd think to order - that was my preference. I asked for an extra inch of pug - it has been an almost seamless transition from the quadfish for me and I get that more performance oriented board. I went bat tail - I think that tames the tail width nicely but you still have a nice wide tail. All that said - I was surprised how small it looked/felt, I thought I ordered a beast of a board but they packed all that foam in a nice little package.

It gets going easy on softer stuff where i was having trouble with the pug. it handles dumping hollow beach break.

The turns are more precise, change direction easy, (feels) more vertical on turns.

I've had some great moments on it - just need to connect it all together. If you're not charging massive stuff on your 2x4, buzsaw and the quadfish could easily be a 2 board quiver.

I had a larger 2x4 which i used to surf heavy waves with, but not sure if i'd paddle out on those days anymore...maybe at a point or reef, but I am over the beach break death traps.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
I use my buzzsaw as a step up from my superbuzz which is 5'2" 19.5" 2 375" thumbtail for 3'-oh+ and buzzsaw 5'7" 19" 2.18" sk8 pintail when its on or more current out in h20. Buzzsaw can have much range depending on needs talk to Stretch to dial in :wave2:

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
You guys are really make me want another buzzsaw! I had a very similar experience RTS' first buzzsaw and haven't found another used one in my size. I saw the potential but just couldn't connect fully.

MrSteve

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 1, 2015
NJ
For any any Stretch fans in NJ: Went into Eastern Lines in Belmar and was shocked at what I saw... 3 Stretch's for $550 each. CFT, color, concave deck, etc. The same options I paid $850+ for. They had a 5-8 and 5-10 Thing, and a 6-0 Buzzsaw.

johnson7

Nep status
Sep 29, 2016
Hoarder said:
You guys are really make me want another buzzsaw! I had a very similar experience RTS' first buzzsaw and haven't found another used one in my size. I saw the potential but just couldn't connect fully.

Get a buzzsaw man, I wish I would've got this board sooner! I'm really digging mine, I think it's a perfect step up to the super buzz, rowjimmy has the buzz quiver, he's on to something there.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
bigC7 said:
Hoarder said:

Get a buzzsaw man, I wish I would've got this board sooner! I'm really digging mine, I think it's a perfect step up to the super buzz, rowjimmy has the buzz quiver, he's on to something there.
:cheers:
Agree and next thinking step step up 6'3" 2x4 :wave2:

rts265

Phil Edwards status
Oct 19, 2007
rowjimmytour said:
bigC7 said:
Hoarder said:

did I already tell you I ordered mine, 6'6 2x4 :jam_on:

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
rts265 said:
rowjimmytour said:
bigC7 said:
Hoarder said:

did I already tell you I ordered mine, 6'6 2x4 :jam_on:
:rockin:
Yes and was curious if I remember right you saying stretch well not do sk8 deck with 2x4 :shocked2: I would really want/need sk8 but love my SB even with out sk8 but my buzzsaw feelz so right :dancing:

rts265

Phil Edwards status
Oct 19, 2007
This is a direct quote from them:

Just for reference we rarely put them on 2x4’s because the design already accomplishes what the sk8 deck is intended for (early entry etc.)
so, I guess they would do a sk8 2x4

rts265

Phil Edwards status
Oct 19, 2007
sd_101 said:
Are the futures Stretch quad set the same as the ones by FU (with futures base), aside from the V2 foil on the front fins?

No idea. Mine are all FU

The Trashman

Gerry Lopez status
Jun 22, 2009
rts265 said:
This is a direct quote from them:

Just for reference we rarely put them on 2x4’s because the design already accomplishes what the sk8 deck is intended for (early entry etc.)
so, I guess they would do a sk8 2x4
I have a sk8 deck 2x4 for good/larger waves. I was getting into OBSF double-ups pretty well. I dont surf it often, but when the waves are firing it works amazing.