So who knows anything about wedding rings?....aside from misery and all that..

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
I spent about 70 bucks on a wedding ring
No engagement ring
35 years later, still have the rings, and each other
And my wife has my grandmothers diamond

The lack of engagement ring was never an issue
But I seriously couldn’t afford one before we got married

Congratulations 20w!

Reactions: PJ

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
You lost me at step 1.

I went to my wife’s mom’s house and told her I needed to talk to her. My wife’s stepfather came out, her mom told him go buy a case of beer and beat it, she’d call him if she needed him.

So we drank a few and I finally built up the outage to tell her

Ni modo qué te pido la mano de tú hija cuando ya tengo rato gozando de sus nalgas.

My mom brought down a diamond ring that had been her mother’s wedding ring. My wife lost the stone clearing brush with her machete. My mom lololod.
Courage. I meant courage. :drowning: :roflmao:

Ok my og homie. Here’s a few from el gran Cuco Sánchez. Not the dirty Sánchez you perverts, the other vato. Maybe related?

El anillo de compromiso

The next, having never drank as much in a month as Don Cuco pounded in a day, you either,

La chancla

My favorite!

There’s your starter set. Ask your gente over 60. I got more...

Reactions: Autoprax

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
I seem to have gone different route than others.

However, my wife was knocked up early on so it was pretty likely she would say yes when I proposed. Not absolute but likely (yes, the royal flush of clubs can be beat but it ain't likely). I had no idea of ring size and had to guess. For proposal, just got a bit of paste from Overstock.com for 5 bucks or so. No idea what happened with that ring and it doesn't matter. Proposed in Zion and it was the time/place that made it, not the ring itself.

Went to LA Jewelry District and got a morganite ring. Tasteful but not crazy. Had a replacement ring for day-to-day wear that is a lot cheaper, i.e., not a big deal to lose.

That being said, don't get tungsten or similar ring. Wife sprained her finger badly in a fall and it was touch and go whether they would have to cut her finger off to get the ring off as swelling was bad; you can't cut them easily. Relief that they were able to get it off no problem but I did tell her nickname would be Frodo if she had to go through the rest of life with 9 fingers. A shame; I already tell her "Clever hobbit to climb so high!" when we summit one peak or another. Oh the reenactment would be so good (props and all) on a crowded peak.

Don't do a huge wedding. From what I have seen, the larger the wedding, the more likely it ends in annulment or a quick divorce. Also, the money spent on that can be a down payment on a house.

I've lost several rings either surfing or going/leaving beach. I think she learned after the 2nd to get a stockpile of cheap silver ones.

Lance Mannion

Duke status
Mar 7, 2009
In Gods Country
I seem to have gone different route than others.

However, my wife was knocked up early on so it was pretty likely she would say yes when I proposed. Not absolute but likely (yes, the royal flush of clubs can be beat but it ain't likely). I had no idea of ring size and had to guess. For proposal, just got a bit of paste from Overstock.com for 5 bucks or so. No idea what happened with that ring and it doesn't matter. Proposed in Zion and it was the time/place that made it, not the ring itself.

Went to LA Jewelry District and got a morganite ring. Tasteful but not crazy. Had a replacement ring for day-to-day wear that is a lot cheaper, i.e., not a big deal to lose.

That being said, don't get tungsten or similar ring. Wife sprained her finger badly in a fall and it was touch and go whether they would have to cut her finger off to get the ring off as swelling was bad; you can't cut them easily. Relief that they were able to get it off no problem but I did tell her nickname would be Frodo if she had to go through the rest of life with 9 fingers. A shame; I already tell her "Clever hobbit to climb so high!" when we summit one peak or another. Oh the reenactment would be so good (props and all) on a crowded peak.

Don't do a huge wedding. From what I have seen, the larger the wedding, the more likely it ends in annulment or a quick divorce. Also, the money spent on that can be a down payment on a house.

I've lost several rings either surfing or going/leaving beach. I think she learned after the 2nd to get a stockpile of cheap silver ones.
Maybe someone should design a leash for wedding rings..........just a thought

• Haha
Reactions: rowjimmytour

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
Only one reason to get married really, not sure if anyone mentioned it already, not going to read thru to find out.

Here you go 20W...

Only reason to get married, period....

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
I have to chuckle when they're getting divorced and still paying off a wedding.
counts as money owed on the asset split, no? Perhaps one picking up the debt and keeping the asset is better than cutting the 4runner in half?

chatted with hunny bunny about one of her friends who feels like they’re about 200k short of standing a decent chance at a detached home. He doesn’t have enough cash for the DP. Mind you, Her parents are footing a $50k wedding bill.

I was about to point out how remarkably close the numbers are to the tax free gift limit, affordability of the monthly payment with no PMI, and the works, but she was all gooey talking about their wedding and we had secs instead.

use your cash wisely, boys

bird.LA

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Jul 14, 2002
LA
Question for the guys who keep losing wedding bands surfing... why don't you leave it in the car or at home?

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Question for the guys who keep losing wedding bands surfing... why don't you leave it in the car or at home?
Usually do but sometimes forget to take it off and nowhere really to stash it. Usually the case where I am walking in and then changing on the beach. There's at least 3 rings in the sand between Uppers and Cottons alone. :roflmao:

Reactions: rowjimmytour

SFKneelo

Gerry Lopez status
Feb 11, 2003
Bay Area
Visit site
Usually do but sometimes forget to take it off and nowhere really to stash it. Usually the case where I am walking in and then changing on the beach. There's at least 3 rings in the sand between Uppers and Cottons alone. :roflmao:
Years ago, I shared my story here of losing my ring after surfing way longer than I should at Trestles. I thought I saw where it popped out into the sand from my glasses case. Nope. Decided I was so late anyhow, and dashed up the hill after putting my towel over the most-likely spot. Went to a nearby Radio Shack and bought the least expensive metal detector. Found the ring, told the story, with the metal detector. Received a ‘hero’s’ response.

Three lessons...
- I never bring my ring since... stays at home
- While extreme, anyone in a dire situation can buy a detector and use this story... still cheaper than a wave at KS Ranch
- If that ever happened again (and it won’t,) I’d walk away. We were newly wed and all starry-eyed. Still are, but raising 3 kids has us on a very different playing field.

The detector is in our garage, and outlived Radio Shack

Dec 18, 2014
Go to the jewelry district in LA.

Pick out a band and have the quality of diamonds that you want, put into the band, at an agreed upon price. When the band is ready and you go to pick it up, they'll bust out a bunch of rocks for the center piece. If they don't produce a stone you can live with, go next door and keep doing it until you get what you want.
I really want to like this idea of shopping around with proof that you are a committed buyer, but aside from carat/weight how can a buyer make an informed decision? The average buyer doesn't have a loop and extensive experience looking at stones to be a judge of clarity and cut in different stores, in different lighting, etc, etc. Same deal with vintage - are you an antique jewelry expert? So unless you have a legit connect to guide you (and remember, if it sounds too good to be true, it usually is) you're going to have to rely on a reputable retailer (prolly an oxymoron, there's nothing reputable, socially, economically, politically, environmentally about diamonds).

If the future Mrs. wants a diamond, accept that you're going to get porked on the purchase. But remember, you're trying to accomplish something bigger here - create an important moment. You get ONE chance to do so. It's your job to know what makes up that important moment for the future Mrs. If you hate diamonds, but she must have one, are are there bigger incompatibilities you also need to consider? The answer isn't always 'yes'. Case in point, I hate diamonds, but knew my wife wanted one. Otherwise, she is incredibly low maintenance. After we got engaged and picked out wedding bands, the jeweler was shocked at how inexpensive a wedding band she wanted.

Back to the idea of ONE chance. Have the ring to present her at the proposal. It's really not that big a deal to get resized. You can attempt to get her ring size by measuring rings she wears on that finger. Make the proposal circumstances special. It is the symbol first event of your marriage. Again, this is really not that difficult, b/c you know what's important to her, right?

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2014
tie ring to wetsuit zipper lead and stuff down neck.

Q_Surf

Duke status
May 5, 2003
world's largest oregon
ahhh fiddy, hope you're doing all this for you as much as for her... :cheers:

my wife's grams was a jeweler, so she already had rings/rocks i couldn't possibly afford. luckily, we just went with one of those.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
You lost me at step 1.

I went to my wife’s mom’s house and told her I needed to talk to her. My wife’s stepfather came out, her mom told him go buy a case of beer and beat it, she’d call him if she needed him.

So we drank a few and I finally built up the outage to tell her

Ni modo qué te pido la mano de tú hija cuando ya tengo rato gozando de sus nalgas.

My mom brought down a diamond ring that had been her mother’s wedding ring. My wife lost the stone clearing brush with her machete. My mom lololod.
holy sh!t...there is treasure out there?!

BTW, approaching 21st anniversary, and WAY beyond this. It’s a good thing
there is no century where you don't talk to the parents first and take a knee

I'm not trying to grouse dudes here who did not take a knee, but it's a simple
case of Pascal's Wager...

it will not offend a woman who doesn't care if you take the knee; it will most
DEFINITELY offend a woman who DOES care if you take the knee.

you take the knee.

• Haha
Reactions: Q_Surf and r32

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar

you take the knee.
Ha. I didn't ask permission from her family but I did have to pay a dowry.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010

you take the knee.
I can’t think of many cases in today’s society where at the point of talking to the parental units the question of chastity is an issue.

Q_Surf

Duke status
May 5, 2003
world's largest oregon

you take the knee.
i am not much about tradition just for the sake of, but after 11yrs it had become blatantly obvious we were gonna spend the rest together. also too, her dad's health started pointing to the fact he may not be around much longer and i wished for him to know in his heart that his only daughter was going to be taken care of. same with her brothers and extended fam.

so i decided to ask her but didn't have a clue where or when - just waited for whenever the moment felt right... second to last run of a particularly magic day snowboarding down a favorite diamond glade, she had to pee behind a tree. i don't know exactly wtf why, but this occurred to me as "the moment." as i slid to ride just downhill of her for the drop-knee whenever she finished, i cut a small slab of snow which then slid down to her bare bottom: "AHHH WHAT THE F@CK?!!!

i somehow did not let this derail my proposal. she thought i was joking so i had to stare into her goggled eyes all serious. finally she said "YES! but c'mon there's only 5 minutes til the lift closes!"