So who knows anything about wedding rings?....aside from misery and all that..

SFKneelo

Gerry Lopez status
Feb 11, 2003
Bay Area
Visit site
there is no century where you don't talk to the parents first and take a knee

I'm not trying to grouse dudes here who did not take a knee, but it's a simple
case of Pascal's Wager...

it will not offend a woman who doesn't care if you take the knee; it will most
DEFINITELY offend a woman who DOES care if you take the knee.

you take the knee.
oh, I followed every tradition. Asked permission first, arranged a special place and time, brought a classy picnic, on a knee... Top of Mt. Tam, September 25th. Timed for great weather and enough time for wedding planning.

Going to that next phase, advice I followed: care about and get involved in one aspect, and stay out of the way otherwise. Respond only if asked, and don’t upset things. That’s aside from the honeymoon, where Mrs and I collaborated.

When the day comes... something my brother in law told me that day, just before I entered to the altar...

’The bride, as she enters the church, first looks down to see the aisle. She next looks up to see the altar. She then looks at him, who she’ll spend with the rest of her life.

And that’s what she’ll remember: I’ll altar him’

YW :)

• Love
Reactions: afoaf

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
Yeah, I skipped the knee, and asking her father’s permission
I’m sure I’ve mentioned this before, but when we told her father we were getting married and that she was pregnant, all he said was “it’s gonna be a small wedding”
He wasn’t much of a fan of me before that moment, and that new news didn’t help
Oh well...

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
1-) marriage is like a garden, tend to it enough and it'll be fruitful; don't and enjoy the weeds.

2-) keep 3 bank accounts. yours, hers and ours. All common living expenses come from ours. Deposits to ours are by percentage, based on income. Never allow her to question your expenses from yours, never question her expenses from hers.

3-) if she tells you something, listen it's probably important to her. don't make her repeat herself. If you do? Be sure she doesn't have to, nor need to, say it a third time.

Best of luck Joto!

Orale!
9'4''

ringer

Tom Curren status
Aug 2, 2002
Huntington Beach, California
Go to the jewelry district in LA.

Pick out a band and have the quality of diamonds that you want, put into the band, at an agreed upon price. When the band is ready and you go to pick it up, they'll bust out a bunch of rocks for the center piece. If they don't produce a stone you can live with, go next door and keep doing it until you get what you want.
That's exactly what I did, way back when. Saved a ton of money.

Reactions: casa_mugrienta

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
I’m sure I’ve mentioned this before, but when we told her father we were getting married and that she was pregnant, all he said was “it’s gonna be a small wedding”
Oh well...
Well, it's not exactly a fathers dream to have their daughter knocked up by some Random Guy.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
Aquí se llama la comadre.

I wonder if my homie has thought this into the future. The ring, the knee, baby steps.

From what I understand the future Ms. 20w lives in her place, he in his. Welcome to matrimonial sharing, or what’s yours is mine and what’s mine is mine too!

Most go into marriage without an understanding of commingling. Well buckle up buckaroo. Starting with the “wet spot”.

Single guys generally know where their stuff is. The important stuff anyway. You can try to stand your ground. Inútil.

We have a bunch of stuff. Three houses full. This started out being my junk drawer
B32458BD-8CD4-4CFE-ABA3-BD7DF3CE2EA2.jpeg
Commingaled. Every place in three houses full of stuff. Where’s my tape measure? En el cajón de los juguetes de los niños. Como no.

One thing, surfboards aren’t touched. Wherever they are, that’s where they need to be. Ding repair in the living room? Ni una palabra. Everything else, forgot it.

St. Paul of the cross to tie the knot? It’s been the downfall of many good men. Neff Barn or LM Country Club?

Reactions: sdsrfr

20W-50 and blood

Duke status
Feb 4, 2004
SOCAL
Visit site
Aquí se llama la comadre.

I wonder if my homie has thought this into the future. The ring, the knee, baby steps.

From what I understand the future Ms. 20w lives in her place, he in his. Welcome to matrimonial sharing, or what’s yours is mine and what’s mine is mine too!

Most go into marriage without an understanding of commingling. Well buckle up buckaroo. Starting with the “wet spot”.

Single guys generally know where their stuff is. The important stuff anyway. You can try to stand your ground. Inútil.

We have a bunch of stuff. Three houses full. This started out being my junk drawer
View attachment 108472
Commingaled. Every place in three houses full of stuff. Where’s my tape measure? En el cajón de los juguetes de los niños. Como no.

One thing, surfboards aren’t touched. Wherever they are, that’s where they need to be. Ding repair in the living room? Ni una palabra. Everything else, forgot it.

St. Paul of the cross to tie the knot? It’s been the downfall of many good men. Neff Barn or LM Country Club?
:roflmao:
sh!t....her viejos have a decent sized back yard....i'm all about that!

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
El Ogro, why is the "coke can bowl" in the junk drawer?

Also, un poco de alcohol te dejaran las tijeras como nuevas Nahual!

:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

Driftcoast

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2002
Oh well...
Now that he has grandkids, what does he think of you?

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
Now that he has grandkids, what does he think of you?
He was good to us. Put a kitchen and bath in their basement to make an apartment that we lived in for a few years and saved for a house.
After a bunch of years, he grew to think I was ok for his daughter and a decent father for his grandkids
But we were never close, avoided being in situations where we’d need to talk to each other, and I got comfortable enough sitting in silence with him
He died a while ago
RIP

20W-50 and blood

Duke status
Feb 4, 2004
SOCAL
Visit site
the future father in law likes to drink and blast doowop in the backyard until he cant. this is good. the vieja? no man should be so lucky.....so WONT STOP cooking for me!!!!!!!!

• Love
Reactions: Aruka