So who knows anything about wedding rings?....aside from misery and all that..

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
I didn't know there was an engagement ring and a wedding band that wraps around the ring.

Imagine my surprise after I bought my wife a really nice engagement ring with a nice diamond. Then she tells me we need to find a band for it. lol.

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
Alternative stones are great if your chick digs em. They look cool and cost a fraction of regular diamonds. Also moissanite if she's cool with that and just wants a fat rock.

• Haha
Reactions: Havoc

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
don’t buy more than you can afford right then and there.

do buy a house, a car and maybe another custom surfbort in your name beforehand.

bonus is you won’t have much cash left for the ring nor ceremony and double bonus she can’t screw you over as badly if things go sour.

Reactions: bird.LA and rts265

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
any idea size of rock she wants? wife told me she wanted no more than 1/2 carat. when I sought out advice everyone said, "oh no she means at least double that". She told me she would return it if it was bigger.

I got a nice quality stone and 16 years later she hasn't said a peep about an upgrade.

I'm rambling. my point is, finger out what she wants if possible, and that should tell you a bit about your lady. needless to say I surf a lot and am happily married.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
Yeah...I'm going there. What the hell do I need to know?
*I'm already used to her hating me so i'm ready!
don't go to any stores

you find someone who knows a diamond guy

you pick a nice rock in your budget and they help you decide on a band

you will save money and get more for your money this way, but you have to be able to sit
down and make a decision about what you like.

typically you open with a big banging engagement ring so she has some finger candy to
show off; the wedding band is typically just a complementary band that sitts along the
engagement ring...you can alternatively have them re-work the engagement band/stone
in to a new setting for the wedding ring.

keep it clean and classy...simple, elegant design with a big rock. big rock. big rock. big rock

I have a guy in DTLA that was easy to work with and competitive

also, don't get married you fkn moron. jesus fkn christ. are you not paying attention!?!!??!

edit: the guys recommending vintage are pros. you can find a vintage setting...maybe with
some cool filigree, and then put good rocks in it. lots of options.

Last edited:

JBerry

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 8, 2017
Buy used aka vintage/antique
Tell her you couldn’t support the Blood Diamond industry.
bought my wife vintage. hand cut diamonds, not machine cut. it has some unique character because of that.
Isn't it like 2.5x's your monthly salary the rate to which you should pay for a ring??
:LOL:
Maybe have her come with you ring shopping so you and her will know she loves what you get?

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
Are you already engaged? If not, here's a piece of advice I learned the hard way: Have a ring when you propose. Get it a little big, you can get it shrunk later. Go for a nice rock. Do not propose and say "we can go ring shopping later". I did that and 20+ years later my wife still won't let me forget how bad I fucked up my big moment.

doc_flavonoid

Michael Peterson status
Dec 27, 2019
don't do not can't won't shouldn't get married for anything resembling emotional attachment love lust whatever

just continue to screw her brains out indefinitely or until you get bored. which ever comes first

unless of course there are financially beneficial motivations... like she makes bank as in enough bank that she foots the bill for six custom freshies a year and a 10 day boat trip once a quarter.

in that case yeah do it but have her buy you a ring instead