So, I bought a Thai board...

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Sooo, how do you like the fling? :coffee:
I've been waiting to get a few solid sessions before I gave my first impressions but I think I have a pretty good read now.

First session in dumpy wind swell slop was a mixed bag but I didn't fault the board too much. It did handle some late drops pretty well and I got a few fun turns but I also had a couple waves where my rear foot was landing on top of the tail kick as I dropped in and that fat tail didn't feel like it was doing me any favors when the waves really stood up. AM2 techflex quad set felt decent but a little stiff.

Next sesh was in waist/chest high rights that were kind of fast but mostly not very powerful. Like, all the steepness was in the top half of the wave and rarely did it allow for a full bottom turn. I ran the Hayden large quad set and it felt great. Easy speed and really turny. It was pretty much the exact conditions I envisioned for this board and I was happy with how it was able to get in early and make speed instantly but it also the later drops just fine. I shifted my paddling position forward to avoid the rear foot landing on top of the pad again and that seemed to put my feet in a better position overall, much more in the sweet spot. It is weird though paddling from so far forward as the nose is almost buried. As the swell built and the sets started to approach head high with a bit more power I did have a couple times where I overpowered the wide tail when pushing through turns.

3rd time out was a soft, clean jetty wave. Mostly lefts so backhand for me. I replaced the HS fronts with some AM2 protos to see if I could get a little more hold through turns. This combo felt great and I never had any issues overpowering the tail in the soft waist/chest high waves. This session was the most in tune I've felt with the board. Felt like I was able to make speed and skate over flat spots and then fit in turns when the wave stood up. My buddy on his Stretchy quad fish was struggling even though he's a goofy footer while I had a great session.

Last session was back at the beach break but this time in glassy conditions. Waist to head high. Steep but not very powerful. Kept the fin setup the same. Got some fun rights, just kinda race the outside section and then hopefully get a turn or two before closeout. As the tide dropped the lefts started standing up better with some tubing a bit. Got a few visions but couldn't seal the deal. Got a nice slow one and carved a few turns but didn't feel like I could really push that fat tail like I wanted to. Definitely had a few waves where I had a ton of speed but didn't feel like I could do much with it on the steep sections.

Overall it's a really fun board in the right waves. Feels like a good balance of fishy glide with a little extra performance. It's definitely not something I will ride often in anything over chest high or in anything too steep. Volume feels good. Rails are nice, not too fat at all. At 6'3" I easily could have gone a little longer than 5'8" with not much downside but for tight pocket shredding this length is nice. Compared to my current favorite small wave board the Stamps Banjo fish it doesn't catch waves or glide as well and it feels like it has a smaller sweet spot. It also kinda doesn't feel like it has as much hold through turns with that wider squash tail compared to the swallow of the fish. It does go vertical a bit easier, feels better above the lip and is just overall better at surfing in the pocket in small waves. It's not a totally fair comparison since I feel like I'm still figuring the Fling out.

Still haven't tried it as a thruster (sorry havoc!) but I will eventually.

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
You know there's a swallow tail version right?

But I don't think it actually improves the hold much, the tail is wide and fat any way you slice it. Think you're right, it's a great board for the right wave. I surfed it in a soft long right point and had a blast. When I tried it out in my dumpy beach breaks back home, it just wasn't the right board.

Reactions: Havoc and Aruka

emmohl80

Nep status
Oct 17, 2010
You thruster nerds!

Quadz only on da fleeng.
Its not a Fling but I do prefer my BF as a thruster. Tried to get used to the Controllers but just never felt right.
AMT fronts with creatures vert trailer es bueno

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
The money combination on my BF was the AMT fronts with the Controller rears. I don't think I I ever tried mine as a thruster.

Reactions: emmohl80

Goingright

Gerry Lopez status
Aug 10, 2009
according to superbrand instagram, new board they have Black Viper is based off the Siamese palm viper :)
not in market for a board but its 522 Dollars on site:

Last edited:
Reactions: nowayout and Havoc