Billy Hamilton status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
For you Fling lover's... ran across this today

encladd

Legend (inyourownmind)
Oct 8, 2019
looks like a ci flyer
Long time lurker. I have this board and took me a while to figure out which conditions it goes best in. It's basically a stub but with the wide point at center and a pretty dramatic continuous rocker... so not something you see too often.

The board shines in punchy beach breaks from waist to head high where you can utilize the continuous rocker. Anything bigger and the short rail line works against you. Accels at airs, but not the best for laying down the rail cause it's pretty fat. IMO it's a very niche board for air guys. I can see why Dion Agius wanted this board made... I can also see why they discontinued it. Really works best for advanced surfers in a prettty narrow range of conditions.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
After all your rave Fling reviews, looking at that 5'8" ...
Do you guys size them same as your DD or extra L for grovel?
I'm 175-180 lbs., typically ride 31-32L

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
I do an extra L or so for grovel.

I'm 190 and ride a 5'6 at 32 liters (HP shortboard is 31). I could probably ride a 5'4 but 5'6 covers a wide range for me.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
thanks! I'll have to keep an eye out for a 5'6".
Man, I've really got to get rid of some boards first. Wife is starting to catch on to my getting the same FCS board bags for all of them to make it seem like I'm taking the same board out of the garage. "I don't understand why you need more than one?"
:rolleyes:

Goingright

Gerry Lopez status
Aug 10, 2009
Long time lurker. I have this board and took me a while to figure out which conditions it goes best in. It's basically a stub but with the wide point at center and a pretty dramatic continuous rocker... so not something you see too often.

The board shines in punchy beach breaks from waist to head high where you can utilize the continuous rocker. Anything bigger and the short rail line works against you. Accels at airs, but not the best for laying down the rail cause it's pretty fat. IMO it's a very niche board for air guys. I can see why Dion Agius wanted this board made... I can also see why they discontinued it. Really works best for advanced surfers in a prettty narrow range of conditions.
Interesting take. I surf mostly Florida beach breaks. Its usually short period swell and waves break kinda fast without much form. When waves are around 3-4 feet / wind swell, I find SPV easy to surf when you want to catch those quick corners and go down the line. When it gets bigger, it catches waves easy as well, has fast momentum and plenty of control.

When paddling around in the lineup, board doesn't feel in the way at all. Very easy to paddle around, drop into waves quickly and quickly toss the board under your feet to get going. Its helpful as waves usually Florida dump quickly.
IMHO, I think this is the best shortboard I have surfed to date. When I'm on this board, I dont feel anything holding me back and dont think about the board at all. Almost like an extension to your body and just having fun in water. The Toy from superbrand is also very predictable and super easy to surf. B/w these two boards, Its all I have been surfing for the past 2 years. My last board purchase was a year ago which is another Toy since I left my other one overseas.
Dont mean to contradict you but they are still selling the board online:
:)
Another interesting intake :

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
thanks! I'll have to keep an eye out for a 5'6".
Man, I've really got to get rid of some boards first. Wife is starting to catch on to my getting the same FCS board bags for all of them to make it seem like I'm taking the same board out of the garage. "I don't understand why you need more than one?"
:rolleyes:
If you get a Fling, I'm curious to hear a comparison between it and the GMM2.

Tell the wife that surfboards are like golf clubs. You can't play with just one.

Then tell her to make you a sammich.

Maybe leave that last comment out.

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
They have a swallow tail version and one with a hip but not both together:

Goingright

Gerry Lopez status
Aug 10, 2009
Y'all need to get on the toy x. As an advanced semi pro tennis player and advanced surfing kook, this board is so much fun..lol
works best with JJF fins as its a full outline surfboard (not a flyer)

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Havoc and retodd

daave

Gerry Lopez status
Dec 28, 2002
I was the guy who asked about the different constructions. Also wanted to ask, Super makes the superflexs in CA now?

MrSteve - only have the older dim 5'6 superflex. I want to try the slimmed down one but current board is pretty freaking good. Holding up really well too.

Reactions: Havoc and Aruka

encladd

Legend (inyourownmind)
Oct 8, 2019
Interesting take. I surf mostly Florida beach breaks. Its usually short period swell and waves break kinda fast without much form. When waves are around 3-4 feet / wind swell, I find SPV easy to surf when you want to catch those quick corners and go down the line. When it gets bigger, it catches waves easy as well, has fast momentum and plenty of control.

When paddling around in the lineup, board doesn't feel in the way at all. Very easy to paddle around, drop into waves quickly and quickly toss the board under your feet to get going. Its helpful as waves usually Florida dump quickly.
IMHO, I think this is the best shortboard I have surfed to date. When I'm on this board, I dont feel anything holding me back and dont think about the board at all. Almost like an extension to your body and just having fun in water. The Toy from superbrand is also very predictable and super easy to surf. B/w these two boards, Its all I have been surfing for the past 2 years. My last board purchase was a year ago which is another Toy since I left my other one overseas.
Dont mean to contradict you but they are still selling the board online:
:)
Another interesting intake :

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Sounds like you're surfing it mainly in the conditions it's meant for: smaller, short period punchy beach breaks. Not surprised you like it. It excels in those conditions. And ya you can call super and have them draw one up for you, but like I said it's no longer part of their retail line. Glad you're stocked on it!

Reactions: Goingright

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
I was the guy who asked about the different constructions. Also wanted to ask, Super makes the superflexs in CA now?

MrSteve - only have the older dim 5'6 superflex. I want to try the slimmed down one but current board is pretty freaking good. Holding up really well too.
I'm pretty sure they stopped working with GSI to make the Superflexes in CA now.

My superflex fling is holding up great after a year of heavy use. Still has lots of pop and just some pressures that i got in the first few months. I'm actually really surprised how well it's held up.