So, I bought a Thai board...

JBerry

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 8, 2017
At this rate they may be back to building boards before anyone over here is right?

Mar 27, 2019
Somewhere
Switched it up today and ran the Fling as a thruster. I think I might be a Fling thruster guy now. Didn't lose much of the speed, but found a better pivot point. Seemed to go more vertical. AM Large fronts and Reactor Small rear.
I took your advise and rode it with a Large AM Quad set. Went great on the few surfs I had with it. Doubt I will switch it up any time soon.
The Flaming Pony on the other hand is going to be a while of fin experimentation to try and get it right. That board does some weird sh!t when I push it. It gets out of control, well, like a Flaming Pony would I guess.

Reactions: SharkBoy

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
I tried mine as a quad (KA L front and Reactor medium quad rears) this past Saturday (the last day we had fun waves out front) and definitely prefer mine as a thruster. I don't like having to keep the board so flat on the water during forehand cutbacks and I was sliding more on my backhand top turns than I do on my twin. I generally overextend my backside top turns to get the tail loose or fins out and as a quad it was too squirrelly for my liking just getting to that pivot-point.

Last edited:

bigglesworth

Legend (inyourownmind)
Mar 8, 2017
Switched it up today and ran the Fling as a thruster. I think I might be a Fling thruster guy now. Didn't lose much of the speed, but found a better pivot point. Seemed to go more vertical. AM Large fronts and Reactor Small rear.
what is a reactor small rear equivalent to in old FCS?

am large + m3 rear was my go to setup on wide-tailed boar gravel-thrusting, before i discovered roberts large in futures.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
I rode my fling as a quad past 4 days in a row. I think the Super L quad set is my favorite for this board so far.

I would have been ripping so much harder on a thruster but I like to handicap myself so I don't make everyone feel bad.

But for real I need to give it another shot as a thruster if only to honor our long lost friend havoc. I hope he is living a happy and prosperous life with his loving family and his amazingly ripped thighs.

May 29, 2020
I am way overdue for a quarantine project so I'm planning to shape myself my best impression of a 5'6 Fling...it looks like such a fun board. I build a few boards a year for myself in the garage and it's time to get dusty again. After reading this thread planned build is 5'6 x 20 1/4 x 2 1/2 - thruster only...PU/PE with S cloth. Have any of you measured the rocker on your fling in that size range? I have a rough idea in my head of what it should look like but I'd be stoked to know if I'm headed in the right direction. Thanks in advance.

Reactions: Havoc

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
My wife and I took the opportunity last weekend to get out of town while our 13 year old daughter went to Palm Springs with her BF and her family. We scored ridiculously low rates at Estancia Resort & Spa which is a five minute walk to the paved trail head at Blacks. The Torrey Pines Gliderport trailhead is a 8 minute walk.

I brought the Fling and at the last minute, changed from my KA larges to AM Aircores before throwing it in the car. There was a little combo swell and some really fun head high+ peaks Friday evening with just a sea breeze. Saturday still had some size, but NW wind was on it, still fun though. We stayed a third night due to all the craziness in LA we were reading about, so I ended up getting out four times at Blacks. The wind was on it every session other than Friday evening, but it was pretty clean on the face with some fun barrels.

I really preferred the slightly more raked AM's to the KA's. I had more drive and felt like it was the perfect combination of hold through turns and release in the lip. In retrospect, I probably would have preferred my Fever or NB2 for the wave size. I thought my wife and I would maybe do a La Jolla Shores day, so I wasn't expecting to hit Blacks, but she was pool bound the entire trip and it was just easier to run out of the hotel with my board rather than getting in the car to hit the reefs. I'm purposely a little over-volumed with the Fling, as I bought it (used) for under waist high waves, but was surprised how well it performed with some size and push. There was the small issue with getting the rail to sink/bite off the bottom without it pushing back more than I like, but I was able to go further out onto the shoulder and redirect with more speed than I'm used to when coming around to rebound of the lip.

My best wave was Sunday morning. I had four good waves early in the session, some mediocre ones and two shockers where I airdropped due to fairly strong NW wind that was blowing into the lefts and the explosion where the lip was hitting the flat-water got under my outside rail and flung me on my Fling a couple feet up in the air. After those embarrassments, I was going in on whatever wave would at least let me get a pump or two down the line.

A decent chest high wave came through just off the edge of the rapidly increasing rip and I got two fin free snaps, a really extended roundhouse with a decent tag on the oncoming section and when I came back around the wave was growing and hollowing-out. I got a relatively long barrel with just a slight shampoo at the end and bellied in. I looked up and there was a lifeguard under an Easy-Up next to his truck. He gave me a thumbs-up, held up nine fingers, then waved his arms as if to say "no". He then tilted his head, put his index finger to his temple for a second and held up his hands giving me a 10. I was buzzing the whole walk back to the hotel.

Last edited: