Shingles Vaccine.. Yay or Nay?

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
And, actual scientists have been working on mRNA stuff for decades, it's not quite as radical and experimental as the media and the anti-vaxxers make it out to be

Am i the only one who clearly remembers being taught about DNA, RNA, mRNA, etc in 8th grade Biology? That was 30 years ago. I also clearly remember the teacher and textbooks talking about how messenger RNA had the potential to be used to "teach" cells how to fight infection or even be reprogrammed to get rid of cancerous growths etc
No, that's just you. mRNA is a nEW aNd UNprOVeN teChNolOgy!

• Haha
Reactions: plasticbertrand

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Am i the only one who clearly remembers being taught about DNA, RNA, mRNA, etc in 8th grade Biology? That was 30 years ago. I also clearly remember the teacher and textbooks talking about how messenger RNA had the potential to be used to "teach" cells how to fight infection or even be reprogrammed to get rid of cancerous growths etc
...and then in college when you took, Chemistry (both O and P), figured out that part of the formation of memory is water soluble?

Several studies have shown that synthesis of new proteins at the synapse is a prerequisite for the storage of long-term memories. Relatively little is known about the availability of distinct mRNA populations for translation at specific synapses, the process that determines mRNA localization, and the temporal designations of localized mRNA translation during memory storage. Techniques such as synaptosome preparation and microdissection of distal neuronal processes of cultured neurons and dendritic layers in brain slices are general approaches used to identify localized RNAs. Exploration of the association of RNA-binding proteins to the axonal transport machinery has led to the development of a strategy to identify RNAs that are transported from the cell body to synapses by molecular motor kinesin. In this article, RNA localization at the synapse, as well as its mechanisms and significance in understanding long-term memory storage, are discussed.
Keywords: RNA transport, RNAseq, kinesin, local translation, memory storage, signaling network, synapses

hugh shackman

OTF status
Mar 3, 2017
I'm in my 20's and have somehow already had it twice. I got it when I was around 10 or 11 (rare) and still have a small scar on my side. Then I got it again in 2020 on my back and can confirm, it is in fact very unpleasant. I'm just lucky it never made it to my neck/face. Apparently you can get it more than once and it can be induced by stress/etc. I'd 100% rather have some possible vax side effects than go through that again

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
I love that you think I remember anything from college. Never took chem past high school. Avogadro’s Number? Is that a thing?

Reactions: Sharkbiscuit
Jan 30, 2014
Santa Cruz Mtns
My employee got the shingles vaccine 10 days ago and he’s been in bed since.

His situation is rare.

I’ve had shingles. It’s miserable. That’s NOT rare. It’s miserable for everyone who gets it. You cannot truly understand just how miserable it is unless you’ve had it.

if you get it in your eye you’re probably going blind in that eye.

if you get it in your inner ear, which I did, you are fuckked. I got lucky in that my ear thing wasn’t permanent.

Get the vaccine.
Totally

I got shingles in my thirties. Was at the SC boardwalk with my kids and started feeling sick and felt small bumps on my forehead. At first the bumps seemed like small insect bites but then enlarged and I thought I had poison oak. The bumps got bigger and really started to hurt. Went to the doctor because the rash had spread to my left ear, neck and left eyelid. Within three seconds of seeing me the doctor said " you have shingles" and I responded "what the hell is shingles?" Since the bumps were all on one side of my body she knew right away. She freaked about the danger to my eye but it spread the other way and not into my eye. The stuff in my ear caused me to get dizzy with terrible pain in my ear and jaw. It was gnarly and traumatic (which I think is why this thread got me going).

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Totally

I got shingles in my thirties. Was at the SC boardwalk with my kids and started feeling sick and felt small bumps on my forehead. At first the bumps seemed like small insect bites but then enlarged and I thought I had poison oak. The bumps got bigger and really started to hurt. Went to the doctor because the rash had spread to my left ear, neck and left eyelid. Within three seconds of seeing me the doctor said " you have shingles" and I responded "what the hell is shingles?" Since the bumps were all on one side of my body she knew right away. She freaked about the danger to my eye but it spread the other way and not into my eye. The stuff in my ear caused me to get dizzy with terrible pain in my ear and jaw. It was gnarly and traumatic (which I think is why this thread got me going).
Yeah, I had to eye checked right away (was fine). The ear thing was brutal. My doctor told that it is permanent in some people.

He said, “people kill themselves because of it and I don’t blame them.”

Gee, thanks doc.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Yeah my cousin has very frankly admitted to all of us that he calmly considered suicide to end the agony, especially after several years and several ineffective treatment attempts. He will live out his days in agony and he somehow was like “nope, I’m still having too good a time to check out” and as far as I know has never considered it since

Reactions: john4surf

donuts

Tom Curren status
Jan 23, 2005
@ the fun house
i got the shot about 4 or 5 years ago. my PCF told me the new shot(s) give better protection. i will get around to getting it/them (soon?). had chickenpox, but before i can remember. one of my mother’s friends got it on one side of her face/scalp - NASTY, DEBILITATING STUFF.

my friend’s niece is a pharmacist in nyc. i saw her on xmas and she said most of her patients/clients at the pharmacy were getting reactions to the shots...:oops:

BUT YOU DON’T WANNA RISK GETTING THAT SH*T !!!

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
Ned Ryerson got the shingles really bad in high school and almost didn't graduate.

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
All this talk about vaccines has me wondering about this one.

I've been thinking about getting it but know nothing about it. Has anyone got it?

I know I know.. do your own research but I figured you all already know more about it than I could ever so let's hear what you think about this one.

So, after all these stories, what are you thinking now?

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
What if say 20% of vaxxed people develop cancers in the next 10 years? Is that beyond possible? We don't know.......yet. Give it a few years. Anything is possible without proper clinical trials over time. Feel free to be a guinee pig. That choice is yours. My wife and I would rather not be guinee pigs in this grand experiment. We both have antibodies now without being injected with rushed and quite frankly poorly performing vaccines.
It's actually beyond possible.

Holy sh!t. Have you read anything?

Drumsurf

Billy Hamilton status
Nov 4, 2012
Beach
I got shingles 3 years ago at 49. It sucked. Went to Utah to ski with friends. Trying to balance a huge work deal with partying and skiing. Stressed myself too much during the process. Deal got done ($$$) but I paid the price. Got home with some low back pain. Took a shower and saw the rash appearing. Got to dr asap and started the drug treatment they prescribed. Uncomfortable week followed. Not the worst thing ever but wasn’t fun.

wife got the vaccine about 3 months later.

Reactions: Mr Doof

oneworlded

Administrator
Jun 4, 2004
Murrica
chrisdixonreports.com
My cousin, once a film critic for USA Today, got some sort of facial neuralgia thing from a rare form/case of shingles. He has been living in non stop cerebral agony for years now. Massive opioid regimen helped for years, but that took its own toll so he detoxed off those and is back to the extreme never ending pain. It’s a horrific life; amazing that the man is somehow keeping his sense of humor throughout. Countless doctors have tried all kinds of crazy chit on him to find a cure/relief… planting electrodes in his brain, robotic brain surgery etc nothing really works. Needless to say he is an outspoken proponent of the shingles vaccine on Facebook. I’ll certainly get mine when I’m 50.
Damn man, that's terrible.