Shingles Vaccine.. Yay or Nay?

Apr 22, 2014
Paid $199 for my shingles vaccine yesterday morning. New year. New insurance deductible. I am 70 years old, and so far I've experienced just some fatigue. That's about it.

Reactions: keenfish

kelpcutter

Gerry Lopez status
Aug 24, 2008
Bit of a hangover effect and a sore arm. No big deal. After seeing my father in law suffer with a bad case, it was an easy choice.

Reactions: keenfish

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
How many years of clinical trials were done on the Shingles Vax before it came to market? I believe the correct answer is 3. I don't recall it being politicized or mandated?

Its tried and true with years of successful use. Not much to worry about with it.

Final question: How many shingles vaxxed people still get shingles? Millions?

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
Covid vaccines significantly reduce Covid related hospitalizations and deaths.
im not sure shingle related hospitalization and deaths were in need of reduction

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
Nice dodge.

Covid vaccines significantly reduce Covid related hospitalizations and deaths.
What if say 20% of vaxxed people develop cancers in the next 10 years? Is that beyond possible? We don't know.......yet. Give it a few years. Anything is possible without proper clinical trials over time. Feel free to be a guinee pig. That choice is yours. My wife and I would rather not be guinee pigs in this grand experiment. We both have antibodies now without being injected with rushed and quite frankly poorly performing vaccines.

• Haha
Reactions: manbearpig

2surf

Duke status
Apr 12, 2004
California USA
www.allcare.com
As a kid growing up in the 1950s I had chicken pox and mumps. Natural immunity. But I lost that when my blood type changed in 2017. Since then I’ve been re-vaccinated for every childhood disease known to man. Shingles is a disease that’s painful and can ruin your life so don’t fear the jab amigo.

abalone

Michael Peterson status
Jan 16, 2002
Is it true that if you never had chicken pox and got that vax you’re in the clear?
It's true that you can't get shingles if you never had chicken pox, but you can catch chicken pox from someone who has shingles. Or someone with chicken pox.

Cleveland Clinic info
and
9 Important Things To Know About Shingles Vaccination

I never had chicken pox. Many people don't remember having it since cases can be so mild, unmemorable.

Early 1992 I was pregnant with #2 when #1 son was exposed. My doc did a titer on me, and lo and behold, I'd never had chicken pox. Then the flurry of research began since chicken pox is quite dangerous to a fetus...blind, deaf, deformation, death. My doc interacted with the UCSD Teratogen Center to find out what to do IF I did come down with it. It was a whole thing. (Son #1 never got it, I never got it, dodged a bullet.) I did a lot of research on the chicken pox vaccine, which had been available in Europe and Japan for a decade before the FDA approved it in the US. Doc gave me the chickenpox vaccination when it came out in 1995, along with our kids.

Long-winded explanation, but as I got to the age of shingles vaccinations, it became hard to find out if I should get it. I mean, you can't shingles if you never had chicken pox, BUT, what's the status since I had the chicken pox vaccine? After much thought, years, really, I ended up getting the shingles vaccine about five years ago.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
That's what I've heard. And this one got a little worse this afternoon. But it's still better than getting shingles.
Yeah. it's just like being sick for a day

People are such pussies now

It's worth not getting

Shingles is tough on old people.

I tore me up good,

Reactions: pagey

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
I never had chicken pox. Many people don't remember having it since cases can be so mild, unmemorable.
Damn, I remember getting chicken pox. The kid 2 doors down had it, breathed on me and said "haha, you have the chicken pox", then breathed on my sister and said the same thing. I think everyone's parents wanted their kids to get it over with, since there was no vax. Itchy, red/brown things all over, oatmeal baths, etc. for about a week.

Somewhere in the archives is craig3j2453_i's description of getting chicken pox as an adult and the "kids" version described above would probably be "fun" in comparison.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
My cousin, once a film critic for USA Today, got some sort of facial neuralgia thing from a rare form/case of shingles. He has been living in non stop cerebral agony for years now. Massive opioid regimen helped for years, but that took its own toll so he detoxed off those and is back to the extreme never ending pain. It’s a horrific life; amazing that the man is somehow keeping his sense of humor throughout. Countless doctors have tried all kinds of crazy chit on him to find a cure/relief… planting electrodes in his brain, robotic brain surgery etc nothing really works. Needless to say he is an outspoken proponent of the shingles vaccine on Facebook. I’ll certainly get mine when I’m 50.

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
One of my good friends had a horrible case of shingles in his early 30’s.

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
What if say 20% of vaxxed people develop cancers in the next 10 years? Is that beyond possible? We don't know.......yet. Give it a few years. Anything is possible without proper clinical trials over time. Feel free to be a guinee pig. That choice is yours. My wife and I would rather not be guinee pigs in this grand experiment. We both have antibodies now without being injected with rushed and quite frankly poorly performing vaccines.
Am sure you understand that the same could be said about a novel virus. After all, a very common first symptom of HIV infection (which leads to AIDS) was "a mild flu"...and then 5 yrs later, immune system collapse. We are all guinea pigs in this, on both sides.

As such, I am unsure of the utility of this type of argument.

Last edited:
Reactions: GromsDad

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
And, actual scientists have been working on mRNA stuff for decades, it's not quite as radical and experimental as the media and the anti-vaxxers make it out to be

Am i the only one who clearly remembers being taught about DNA, RNA, mRNA, etc in 8th grade Biology? That was 30 years ago. I also clearly remember the teacher and textbooks talking about how messenger RNA had the potential to be used to "teach" cells how to fight infection or even be reprogrammed to get rid of cancerous growths etc

Reactions: Mr Doof

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
How many years of clinical trials were done on the Shingles Vax before it came to market? I believe the correct answer is 3. I don't recall it being politicized or mandated?

Its tried and true with years of successful use. Not much to worry about with it.

Final question: How many shingles vaxxed people still get shingles? Millions?
the new shots are 90% effective in avoiding neuralgia, the painful nerve part of the virus.

Sorta like the Covid vaccine being 90% effective in keeping you out of the hospital.

Also, it's not a vaccine that will "keep you from getting shingles" since we almost all have the virus in us already from chicken pox.

Burn.