Salsa Reviews the Sharp Eye Infernal 72

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
It's not like CI's team is lacking talent and they definitely have guys putting out great content especially like Wade Goodall's movie, Mikey Feb and so on. Maybe having guys on tour isn't as important for a brand that is already so well established?

Of the guys on tour who do you think would be a good fit?
They've had such a large presence on tour over the years that it was shocking to me that no one on their team is on the 'CT anymore. And they've advertised their standing on tour as a main reason to buy their boards for years and years.

Does it really matter that they don't have a CTer nowadays? I don't know. I guess the question is do they sell more hpsbs or alts and midlengths now? Maybe it's the latter so CT sponsorship doesn't move the needle for them anymore.

As far as a good fit........Jordy comes to mind first. If they could have locked up a contract with Jordy before he started his board company, I think that would have been beneficial for both them and Jordy.

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
Does he need to pay them?

Can he afford to pay them?
I don't know, it's a good question. I always assumed the top tier got paid by board companies in some fashion. Whether it was a regular monthly check, a percentage of pro model sales, or whatever else.......something on top of free boards. Maybe my assumptions are wrong.

spjones123

Legend (inyourownmind)
Oct 24, 2005
I would think just like most industries there's tiers, and ROI depends on where you are in the sliding scale??? Super regionals like Stamps and Stretch pump out a lot of boards. But they're not trying to fight for shop space in Australia or Europe. So shelling out money on a CT team gets you nothing but red ink?? But Lost, CI, they're global brands who want to sit on Gold Coast wracks next to DHD and JS....and not just sell boards, but a lot of other merch with better margins. How long can you do that without an omnipresent tour presence? Definitely a while with that brand name, but maybe not forever. Then again one of their 15yr olds will probably be the next big thing in 14 months.

It is funny Firewire has two CT'ers and CI has zero. You guys need to get on board!! Firewire=CT cutting edge design

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Every brand has it's day.

CI is no longer the board du jour.

Pyzel, Sharpeye, etc have moved in.

Remember how big Rusty was? Xanadu? Guys like JC, Bourton, etc?
I don’t follow the up and coming rippers and qs warriors but seems the …lost cult has thinned a bit as well.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Disagree. Lots of young rippers on them. Surrounded by em yesterday. Those kids are quick.
I seemed to notice them especially at the beachbreaks around. My impression is Lost is aimed at the target market you described in the album thread: groms, 20somethings. I'm guessing parents buy a lot of the boards for their kids.
I still see a lot of CI, but a lot of yellowed ones too. Overheard a couple 40-50 year olds in the lineup frothing over how they just yolo'ed new CI's from the website. Plenty of guys on here seem to be excited by their every new model drop. Personally, I don't know how much guys like the Gudangs or Parker move the needle on board sales, but I haven't had a CI in 10 years. Dane still rips, but do the kids love him, or is it just us older guys who remember his youthful prime? CI is such a legacy brand now, I bet they can coast on that for a while. Do many people really watch the tour anymore? I have my doubts.

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
Connor O'leary would not be getting paid by DHD, he'd be on free boards.

Very much doubt Zouvi is paying anyone but Filipe.

Not sure if it is a deliberate re-positioning but CI has gone hard alt with the way they have aggressively pursued that mid-length market.
Whether a brand can walk both sides of the fence (high performance and alt-kook shapes) remains to be seen.

LifeOnMars

Michael Peterson status
Jan 14, 2020
hearing Connor Coffin’s experience with JS I wonder why anyone would stay on their team aside from the paycheck. Everyone wants to talk to the big man but they get sent OTR boards instead. He couldn’t even get a meeting as a new team rider. Email feedback only.
the whole covid thing (borders closed) surely didn't play a part :monkey:

Reactions: ReForest

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Connor O'leary would not be getting paid by DHD, he'd be on free boards.
That's what I heard about DHD - no pay, but free boards.

Not sure if that's the case for guys like Mick?

But the free boards thing has been used by DHD to lure some of the lesser guys

Very much doubt Zouvi is paying anyone but Filipe.
Agree, if he even is.

As big as SharpEye is there is still very much a local San Diego flavor and from what I've heard Marcio isn't making a killing when you consider the effort put in.

Much like many great shapers.

Not sure if it is a deliberate re-positioning but CI has gone hard alt with the way they have aggressively pursued that mid-length market.
Aging demographic.

Duke status
Feb 20, 2003
didnt watch every wave but either the board doesnt wanna go vertical, or noel doesnt
seems good for him otherwise

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
Here's Pyzel Shadow:

And the SharpEye:

I'd be looking at a 6'1 or 6'2, but both the 6'1 are way to skinny for me. 0.1 litre difference in the 6'2, and very similar dims.
Forget the SharpEye fat dims - way too wide.
They’re not marketed as similar board though, are they?

I’ve only heard the inferno referred to as a small wave performance board, where the Shadow’s meant as a better wave performance board... or have i got it wrong?

The board in sharpeye’s lineup thats most similar, is that 77 board that the inferno’s based off?

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
Connor O'leary is on DHD's now.

thats probably the biggest CT brand down under.

JS seems to have slipped a bit.

Hard to deny though that almost every CT or even QS level surfer seems to surf better on Sharp Eyes.
Maube around where you are... but up sunny coast, it’s still basically all JS Monstabox / Monsta / Whatever groveler. Very seldom see a DHD

• Wow