Salsa Reviews the Sharp Eye Infernal 72

npsp

Miki Dora status
Dec 30, 2003
down the hill and to the right
Visit site
I know lot's of guys that swear by Marcio's shapes. They all have one thing in common, they rip. Stocked to see him get his due. The guy has been making great boards in San Diego for a long time.

The semi ironic part of this is that Biolos has this big production operation, store front, social media machine, etc... Vs Marcio, whose team riders are dominating the world stage, who is based out of a small shop in an alley, behind a VW repair shop and an aging strip joint. Seems as if Sharp Eye is the new Mayhem in town.

ehiunno

OTF status
Dec 27, 2019
I was in south Jersey visiting some family over the holiday weekend. I realized this put me not too far away from the only Sharpeye dealer in the NY/NJ area so I took a little trip to Ocean City to check them out. They had a skinny 5'9 I72, a fat 5'11 I72, a fat 5'10 Storms and some discos and oversized disco cheaters. Fortunately or unfortunately nothing was really in my size so no YOLO for me. Was fun to feel them up, some thoughts:

- The I72 is *not* a small wave board, at least for any east coast definition of small. It's a blade with a healthy amount of rocker. It seemed to me like it would be basically a normal HPSB, but maybe it wouldn't have the top end of like a Radius or Ghost or something intended for really good waves, who knows.
- A blade, yes. The 5'9 was 2.4" thick which is about my normal thickness for a HPSB (2 3/8") and it clearly felt way too thin under arm. The 5'10 Storms at 2.6" thick and a similar foil felt too thick. The 5'11 at 2.5" felt just right (in thickness, too big otherwise).
- Despite this the board felt pretty balanced and natural. Slightly wider but still very HP outline, no obvious push of the foam forward or rearward. The deck didn't seem crazy domed, but it's definitely a little domed. It reminded me a bit of the Ghost (mine is also 2.5" thick).
- The Storms just looked kind of weird to me. The tail block seemed really blocky, wide and straight. It might have just been that the one they had was kind of fat, idk.

I asked the dude at the shop about getting a 5'10 I72 and he said they had ordered one as well as many other sizes but couldn't get them all, and it would be 4-6 months before they could get more :oops:

Ultimately, I decided not going to go out of my way to try find a 5'10. I think it would more or less completely replace the Shadow in my quiver, which I'm not in a hurry to do*. It IS a really sick looking bort tho... sorry to harsh the YOLO!

*Some may recall my documented struggle on this board from the fin thread. Despite the lackluster late winter/spring here I've had some chances to ride it with the Coffin fins and it's feeling really, really good. Rode it in some janky but powerful waves this past weekend (immediately after checking out the sharpeyes) and it was blowing my mind how much confidence I felt going into turns. I'm sure the fins have something to do with it but I can't help but feel that it wasn't a coincidence I was struggling on an HP board during peak winter season with a 5mil kit, <40deg water and 30deg air, current, wind, etc... LOL. I don't think a different HP blade would solve that problem ;-).

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Not saying its Sh:t , something is stuck , possibly a bad fin choice

Then post a young ripper on one
All in good fun greg. I was half expecting a 3rd response saying how ugly Robo's girlfriend is or something to really make me question my sanity.

For the record I wasn't completely blown away by how Jack looked on the board but it definitely didn't look terrible especially for a first go on a board not designed for him in a non-pu construction. I quite liked that quick snap he got after the tube and it made me wonder if part of his somewhat lackluster small wave game isn't equipment related.

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
This is Carl , he's 16 and lives up the street , sponsored by Sharpeye

http://instagr.am/p/CPnd7rLAM65/
Quite the ripper. Possibly the most talented young contest surfer on the East Coast right now. Here is a shot I got of him three years ago. The day before this shot was massive and Carl and a couple of other youngsters really stood out in some beyond double overhead conditions.

ehiunno

OTF status
Dec 27, 2019
Welp, I YOLO'd this board after all, there's a story here... WoT warning ;)

I was recently in Orange County visiting a non-surfing friend. I was riding my Shadow in some janky low tide Huntington when I tried to kick out of a wave, lost my board, and when it came up I found this...
20210620_145040.jpg
20210620_144925.jpg

I guess the board got slammed into the sandbar by the lip and a chunk broke off of the corner. I still have the missing piece, but obviously that's a super difficult repair with no guarantee the board would surf the same. I love this board and am pretty freaking bummed out. With a solid swell on the way for the next couple days and a Gremlin as my only other board I had basically two options if I wanted to surf: 1) try to find a used board to ride for a couple days and pray that after an expensive repair the shadow will still be good or 2) YOLO

I stopped by a few shops to check inventory, obviously lots to choose from given my location which was nice. Eventually I found myself in Jacks Surfboards Newport and there it was... a skinny 5'10" Sharpei I72 for only $660, and the last I72 that they had left. Given that most clear pu/pe hpsb are now north of $700, custom turn-arounds are insanely long and this board is super in demand I figured it was a sign that YOLO was the way forward

20210625_151420.jpg

Dealing with the wax on the black deck was annoying so I did some pad surgery and moved the front pad I had gotten to try on the Gremlin over and holy sh!t does it look dope.

The only problem? It's FCSII and not Futures :cursing:. I called SE to get a fin rec. Marcio answered and was happy to answer several questions which made me extra stocked to support them. He (unsurprisingly?) recommended the Toledo fin. He actually suggested I try the large for my weight (160#) as he felt the FT Large was on the smaller side for a large fin. He also said he loved the H4 but I was skeptical so I went with the FT Larges.

I rode it for a couple of days before I came back home and it felt really good overall. That said it was pumping and on some of the larger waves (approaching DOH but mushy) I had it felt a little stiff on turns, but on closer to HH waves it felt good. I definitely needed to push harder through my turns with the larger fins than I am used to but that might be positive for my surfing overall. I'm not totally sold on the L fins yet but I want to try them in some smaller waves as I can see the potential there.

Honestly though? I'm probably more bummed about the Shadow than I am stocked to YOLO the I72. That board is/was a favorite for sure. I'll attempt a repair and maybe I'll get lucky and have two sick hpsb on my hands, we'll see. When I get some more surfs on the I72 in some waves I am more familiar with I'll report back!