Salsa Reviews the Sharp Eye Infernal 72

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
@ehiunno , if there are burn throughs are on the double concave hump and the roll on the nose deck then we would say that is sander error rather than say messy lap glassing.

Sanding is a tough job taking skill and concentration to avoid burn throughs and sand throughs. I am firmly of the opinion that boards are too cheap for the labour that goes in to them. Factories that survive seem to be managing by employing workers with other sources of income and having some labour from apprentices on government training subsidy.

The online tutorials are not able to show all of the tricks of the trade and keep it interesting viewing. This is a good one from FCS - it is in their interests to get proper installs to protect the reputation of their product. There is a mention of the optional fin patch baste and even a double box sticker method where the first sticker gets grinded completely down after the baste, the replaced for the final filler coat.

I have been shown a combination deck filler coat and fin baste all with the same mix which saves time (it involves a board flip). That can be done with a single box sticker where the baste grind does not take it off. Last time I did the same procedure, but with full baste grind and double sticker replacement.