Salsa Reviews the Sharp Eye Infernal 72

ehiunno

OTF status
Dec 27, 2019
Similar dims to a Pyzel Shadow. Looks very normal to me.
Closer to a shadow xl I think

A 5' 10 shadow xl is 5 10 x 19.25 x 2.5 at 29.3l. Drop .25 of width would be ~29l and you have the same dims as the 5 10 I72 at 28.3l. .7l is a pretty big difference in foiling

Closer to the ghost in terms if volume for the dims, does make me wonder about the foiling

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
The dims seem a little awkward for me personally. This is touted as a small wave board, if I'm not mistaken? I'd have liked a little more volume in a shorter package

Jumping from the 2 1/2 to 2 5/8 is a bit curious, as I'd have wanted the 5.11 to be at 2 9.16.

Screen Shot 2021-05-21 at 1.58.31 pm.png

Theres a new surfshop opening down the road from me that's getting a whole bunch of them in stock, so might go and fondle one.

So wrong.

not even close.

unless you prefer weak, half turns and underpowered QS level surfing.
Did @ehiunno 's humour fly straight over your head?

(tip: he mixed an d matched their ERBB names up, so you can't actually tell which one he's saying is better than the other)

Last edited:

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
It’s looking like Maurcio is the shaper de jour. Who knows, maybe it’s his time, hired a great publicist, but I can sense Sharp Eye’s stock is climbing. Leo, Migs, Morgs are now singing his praises and have all looked pretty good at Rottnest.

The current spotlight on Sharp Eye reminds me of when JS blew up in the states around 2003-2004. I was checking out a buckled JS in Tavarua’s board graveyard in ‘03 and it just had this feel to it that it’d go. I ended up grabbing two when I got home (a Combat and a Fat Fish 2) and they were really fun boards.

Similar to what Noel Salad said, a very good local surfer, Matt Meistrell, said that The Storms is probably the best board he’s ridden as far as reacting equally well if you’re driving off your front or back foot. Matt has an air game as opposed to me, an almost 50 year old that can do the occasional air, but his praise of Sharp Eye has me intrigued.

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
Here's Pyzel Shadow:

And the SharpEye:

I'd be looking at a 6'1 or 6'2, but both the 6'1 are way to skinny for me. 0.1 litre difference in the 6'2, and very similar dims.
Forget the SharpEye fat dims - way too wide.

Reactions: MathDebater

ehiunno

OTF status
Dec 27, 2019
Here's Pyzel Shadow:

And the SharpEye:

I'd be looking at a 6'1 or 6'2, but both the 6'1 are way to skinny for me. 0.1 litre difference in the 6'2, and very similar dims.
Forget the SharpEye fat dims - way too wide.
Yeah I see, you're right around 6'2 they are similarly proportioned. Around 5 10 the skinny SE is quite a bit fatter.

The SE has a pretty aggressive concave whereas the shadow is fairly mild, maybe that has something to do with it. It does seem to have pretty low volume for it's dimensions.

Reactions: Maz and Aruka

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
It’s looking like Maurcio is the shaper de jour. Who knows, maybe it’s his time, hired a great publicist, but I can sense Sharp Eye’s stock is climbing. Leo, Migs, Morgs are now singing his praises and have all looked pretty good at Rottnest.

The current spotlight on Sharp Eye reminds me of when JS blew up in the states around 2003-2004. I was checking out a buckled JS in Tavarua’s board graveyard in ‘03 and it just had this feel to it that it’d go. I ended up grabbing two when I got home (a Combat and a Fat Fish 2) and they were really fun boards.

Similar to what Noel Salad said, a very good local surfer, Matt Meistrell, said that The Storms is probably the best board he’s ridden as far as reacting equally well if you’re driving off your front or back foot. Matt has an air game as opposed to me, an almost 50 year old that can do the occasional air, but his praise of Sharp Eye has me intrigued.
What's really interesting to me is how many people jumped ship from CI.

There are no CI team riders on the mens tour anymore.

I wonder how CI feels about that?

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
What's really interesting to me is how many people jumped ship from CI.

There are no CI team riders on the mens tour anymore.

I wonder how CI feels about that?
I was just thinking about this a couple days ago while watching the contest.

It doesn't seem like that long ago that CI was one of the most dominant shaping outfits on tour.

They still have Dane so who really cares?

I don't see Zeke listed on their team anymore...

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
I listened to a podcast the other day with Connor O'Leary and he was discussing his troubles with CI. He was actually pretty diplomatic talking about it and said a lot of the issues were due to him not communicating well, but did say he couldn't get consistent boards from Matt Penn (Channel Islands Australia) and Britt across the same model. He said the boards came out very different from each of them. Sounded like he's only working with Matty now.

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
U think that is driven by board design or willingness to pay team riders?
It's a good question. Maybe it's both. The two Conners walking away isn't a good look.

On the other hand, CI just bought the company back from Burton and a few team riders ponied up some cash for partial ownership (Dane, Sage, Lakey, Parker, and more). Maybe they don't have the monies to support a 'CTer at the moment. :shrug:

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
It's a good question. Maybe it's both. The two Conners walking away isn't a good look.

On the other hand, CI just bought the company back from Burton and a few team riders ponied up some cash for partial ownership (Dane, Sage, Lakey, Parker, and more). Maybe they don't have the monies to support a 'CTer at the moment. :shrug:
It's not like CI's team is lacking talent and they definitely have guys putting out great content especially like Wade Goodall's movie, Mikey Feb and so on. Maybe having guys on tour isn't as important for a brand that is already so well established?

Of the guys on tour who do you think would be a good fit?

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Maybe having guys on tour isn't as important for a brand that is already so well established?
That's what I've been told - that generally speaking there's a poor ROI on team riders especially when guys have no problem jumping ship to greener pastures...

Lots of time, money, and effort put into team riders and then they go elsewhere.

They will leave shaper Y even if the boards are working well for promises of truckloads of free boards that do not work as well from shaper Z.

Seems some shapers simply get over it and focus on working with one guy. If that.

Reactions: Aruka and Havoc