Rusty - Shiv, Hatchet, 419Fish

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
My flat deck twin works good in small stuff but I think due to the longer dims (6'3" x 19.8) it definitely feels best once the waves open up a little. I think stubbier dims would probably make it a bit more fun at the low end but I got mine to be kind of a step up to transition to from the Banjo Fish and for that it works great. Mostly been riding the Captain Fin Christenson twins which I like in most boards so far.

Reactions: JDJ

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Personally not at all. The thin rails through the back end and narrow-ish tail block have plenty of hold. That's just me though, I know plenty of guys dig the twin+trailer setup in different boards but I always seem to just prefer strait twins. If I want a center fin I'll ride a thruster.

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
Not a Rusty, but I got a center box on my Stamps Banjo and have only used it sparingly. If I were to redo it, I would leave the box off. On days that it's big enough that the stabilizer is temping, I generally end up picking another board.

Reactions: sd_101 and Aruka

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
I'd bet Rusty would put a trailer box in there if you ask.
The difficulty with having a trailer box with the intention of optionally using it is that the twin+trailer likes different front fin positions from the pure twin fin. For say a HPSB type tail width (not wide fish width) front fin trailing edges at the original MR style position of 10 1/2" will work well with twin + trailer. For a pure twin the MR style position will be too squirrely for most peoples tastes (although twin fins are more tolerant to placement differences provided one is prepared to adjust back foot position). So most people will be much happier on a pure twin set at more modern positions of say 8" - Greg knows all about that - he was part of the history of the modern placement.

I haven't actually tried a trailer added to modern placement, but its not getting enthusiastic reviews on this thread and I guess it isn't going to do a great deal for an already more drivey modern placement. I am however familiar MR style twin+trailer setup and I would describe it as somewhere in between a twin and thruster. It doesn't have that drifting feeling which occurs with pure twin although the small trailer will readily break free if tightly turned, treated more gently in turns it will have a more thruster like drive.

However if Rusty is good to work with then based on looking at the various twin fin offerings and reading posts from Duffy about his experience with keels and placement I guess that a compromise convertible setup could be obtained if one is prepared to buy a set of keels, plus a set of the more upright MR twins, plus a trailer.

The keels from FCS and Futures (maybe other manufacturers too) have the trailing edge back from the shapers dot (I don't know how much, because never owned any keels). So a shapers dot of say 10 1/2" would have the keel trailing edge closer to the more modern rear placement. One could then swap out keels for MR style twins to obtain something like 10" up (even the MR twins have the trailing edge rear of the shapers dot - in FCS at least) and then place the trailer in.

Potential for this sort of custom order going wrong would be very high! If I was to do it I would buy all the fins first, place them in boxes of a thruster where the shapers dot is clearly visible and known to be accurate with an existing set of thruster fins and figure out exactly where I want the shapers dot and request that. There would also be a trailing edge to rail edge measurement consideration as the further the trailing edge goes back from the shapers dot, the closer it gets to the rail. The result may be a bit of a compromise, but would be very instructive for those wishing to do it and compare rides.

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
i asked Rusty about having my board as a twin/trailer set up with fins at 10 1/2 or so. As I recall, Rusty said it would be better to have a pure twin with the fins pulled further back. Although he was willing to install a trailer box.

JeffRSpicoli

Nep status
Aug 9, 2019
Just adding my two cents, the Twin Fin is a blast! Love the new feel/freedom that it provides and I just added the Futures AMK Keel Fin recently, starting riding it with the Naked Viking Kraken, AMKs definitely an improvement.

Heading out in a few hours: light offshore and ~4'-5' water temp a balmy 41...cheers

Waterlogged05

Michael Peterson status
May 14, 2005
Emailed Rusty with a rambling question about Dims. Didn't even expect a response quickly.
Emailed me back with some tweaks they thought would work and a full 3d mock up of the board.
holy moly these guys are on it right now. This is better communication than anyone so far.

JeffRSpicoli

Nep status
Aug 9, 2019
Spicoli, you in Maine or NH? I spent my formative years surfing around there
New Hampshire, get to Gooch’s a few times a year.

My surf life started in sunny, warm Florida back in 1980. After 20 years here I finally consider myself a cold water surfer. All my old surf buds think I’m nuts.
-3 hours today I think my feet are finally warm.

Where are you at now?

Reactions: Aruka

bigglesworth

Legend (inyourownmind)
Mar 8, 2017
I'm in Washington now. Went to college in southern Maine, bought my first board at Cinnamon Rainbows! Spent many happy winter days at the Wall and Wells.

JeffRSpicoli

Nep status
Aug 9, 2019
I'm in Washington now. Went to college in southern Maine, bought my first board at Cinnamon Rainbows! Spent many happy winter days at the Wall and Wells.
A great surf shop, I know the owner a bit, he was able to get to the Surf Ranch, lucky bastard!

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
No word on my hatchet yet but I didn't expect it too quickly with the holidays and whatnot...

Nov 17, 2010
Throw your 2c at me...

Looking at a two board quiver. Pretty settled on the Hatchet as a chest to thigh summer slop basher. Looking forward to a few more reviews!

Shiv or Blade (no channels) for winter/better waves/beachies, shoulder+?