Rusty - Shiv, Hatchet, 419Fish

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
I’m only 5’9, but I have the board that Dave Parmenter shaped for the Board Room tribute to Rusty, when they were shaping 84s. That board is 6’2, 19 1/4. It goes great. The stock 84s look wider and shorter.

Reactions: Havoc and Aruka

JeffRSpicoli

Nep status
Aug 9, 2019
Good Higgins beach dims right there
Thanks for the spot, Gooch's is not too far away and where I tend to go in Vacationland...I'll check it out and take JDJ's 2.25" under advisement. Twin Fin and Rooster are 2.45" and 2.47" respectively.

And do we know when the Black Friday sale officially ends. One more beer and I am clicking order!

SD_Dan

OTF status
Jan 23, 2019
Do you guys know the target wave type for the rusty sd? Reading the board description makes it sound as though it’s designed for everything so maybe a daily driver for softer surf? Thanks

JeffRSpicoli

Nep status
Aug 9, 2019
I've never ridden it but the description and reviews make it sound like a great daily driver that would work in softer surf, but if that is the surf you are predominantly riding I would think there are better options. I believe the Dwart would be worth a look, just to name one.

SD_Dan

OTF status
Jan 23, 2019
Thanks, I thought so too. Should've clarified. I'm looking for something that can handle all around surf, but can hold ok when the waves get good. Something similar to how Lost advertises their Quiver Killer.

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
Got my email last night with some screenshots of my blackbird in their software. Rusty or whoever plugged in my numbers told me to keep the volume up based on my order. Knowing how the rails are and overall foil I am not going to argue.

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
Thanks, I thought so too. Should've clarified. I'm looking for something that can handle all around surf, but can hold ok when the waves get good. Something similar to how Lost advertises their Quiver Killer.
Smoothie is a great all arounder.

SD_Dan

OTF status
Jan 23, 2019
Smoothie is a great all arounder.
Nice, I like the outline of that board. Does it have enough rocker to hold in a steep punchy beach break? Seems like the rounded pin would be helpful there. The marketing of both the smoothie and SD make it sound like they are for smaller waves, but I'm interesting in the upper end.

JeffRSpicoli

Nep status
Aug 9, 2019
Nice, I like the outline of that board. Does it have enough rocker to hold in a steep punchy beach break? Seems like the rounded pin would be helpful there. The marketing of both the smoothie and SD make it sound like they are for smaller waves, but I'm interesting in the upper end.
Not sure about the Quiver Killer, but I recently acquired the Rusty Rooster and probably not going to grovel in the lower end of a 1'-3' day, but once it gets to a real 4'+ day it will work. I have been loving it! Paddles really nice. Just had a great session on it a few days ago, handling the steepest drops at my local beach break biggest sets were solid 5'-6'. On one wave after the drop, down in the bottom, right in the pocket, I was looking up at the lip, could've been a 7' face, a great memory, and the speed out of there was the drug we are looking for...
-have only ridden it as a tri-fin: Futures Stamps for now seem to work well.

As an alternative and I am a broken record on this board about the Rusty Zeppelin. It is a solid platform up to say 6' then you can start to feel the bulk on bigger drops, but I love the board it probably is the 'right' board for most days: stock 6'4" ~45L, quad set up loosens it up makes it run really fast down the line.
-I initially got interested in it as my winter shortboard (6/5, lobster claws and 7mil or 8 mil booties) but even during 'warmer' sessions you are close to catching waves near the longboarders and then blowing the doors off of them down the line.

Reactions: SD_Dan and Havoc

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
I surfed the smoothie just once, but it was at a board demo at pumping HB. It went really well. I think it would be a fun all-arounder. it's fairly foiled down but the rocker is very relaxed.

Reactions: Aruka

JeffRSpicoli

Nep status
Aug 9, 2019
Got the call from Rusty today, Hatchet build should be starting up soon!

Also, rode my Rusty Twin fin today, WOW! First wave of the day had me smiling and for an hour: a long ride that was fast, loose, just a really nice different feel vs. the tri/quad stuff. My 4th or 5th session on it and really, really liking it! If you can get your hands on it for a demo do it!!!

JeffRSpicoli

Nep status
Aug 9, 2019
In my case the order was showing as the "Enough Said" vs. the Hatchet, so I noted that in my comments, but dims and order sheet showed Hatchet.

They emailed and called to clarify, said I should be receiving the final dims from Rusty at some point soon, maybe end of day.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
I dunno about the blade but shiv def has some rocker. I was loving mine at home in the PNW but it didn't feel quite as good in baja mushy points. It did go good on the better days but I only rode it once it was over head high and mostly preferred the Rusty Twin and other boards for the every day stuff.