Reflective board bags - very few manufacturers making them?

need 4 speed

Phil Edwards status
Nov 1, 2003
SoCal
Mine are white ,well made

SlicedFeet

Miki Dora status
Dec 17, 2004
Swarm Diego
this might belong in the "what's up with" thread, but what's up with so many of the multi-board travel bags being all black? if there is a feature that is paramount, aside from adequate padding to protect the boards en route, it would be that the bag not be of a dark color, let alone black.
Airports are dirty. Tarmacs, those luggage cabooses which never get washed, pretty much just like a gas station. I had a black and blue Prolite years ago, and the blue got so dirty/ugly I was embarrassed bringing it in the terminal and made sure the black side was facing the crowd. Airport stains.

I like my board bags wide, that way there's no problem using pipe insulation foam around the rails on both sides. Also if they are wide, day bags can fit in.

Day bags tho, keep them thin.

I need a new coffin here soon. Last bag I bought was the Prolite Timmy Curran Smuggler 2/3 boards. Great bag but had one problem on the last trip, couldn't get my third board in because it had such a flatter rocker than the other two. Had to leave one at home. Figured that out on the way to the airport.

Prolite Coffin is next for me.

Reactions: Aruka

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
I was always using pipe insulation until a neighbor dumped a few boxes of bubble wrap.

Now I just pack the rails/nose/tail with bubble wrap - usually can get a really thick layer of the stuff and pack it tight.

I really hate fiddling with pipe insulation.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
I have a reflective CI single fish bag that's pretty good, except there's a bit of a swath up towards the nose on the up-facing side that's heavy black canvas. Also have one of the pro-lite kerrs; I tend to need the duct tape I bring with me each trip at some point because more of the reflective sh!t got baggage-handled and TSA'd to hell and back.

One time I opened my sh!t and there was a TSA inspection note and all my carefully duct taped pool noodle foam, and rigid cardboard + foam rando packaging material I had saved specifically for nose zone reinforcement had all, every last fucking piece, been pulled off and merely tossed back in the luggage.

I fkn swear first trip with the fresh Kerr reflective prolite, I check in in Miami, gleaming boardbag, I go to clear customs in DF and tote my sh!t up to the domestic baggage drop for the connection to Guad, and it looks like someone went to inspect it and just took a fucking switchblade to the bottom of it to open the bag.

• Angry
Reactions: MathDebater

Duke status
Feb 20, 2003
its gotta get pretty hot in any of those bags in the sun
somebody put a thermometer in there some day
i see guys with their boards in the sun in those bags all day in summer
wonder if they used foam insulation as padding...
ive been thinking up some some odd solutions like horizontal mounted sun shades on a low frame
surprised i havent seen em for sale as surfboard shaders

a board under this thing is a similar idea

• Haha
Reactions: rowjimmytour

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
I was always using pipe insulation until a neighbor dumped a few boxes of bubble wrap.

Now I just pack the rails/nose/tail with bubble wrap - usually can get a really thick layer of the stuff and pack it tight.

I have found with board sock, day bag, travel bag with towell, rash guard, leashes, and dafins plenty protection no dings (knock on wood) so far.

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
I feel like the board bags of my youth were ALWAYS silver.

I got a ProLite 8'0" session bag for my 7'11" rehab board and it kinda swims in there, But I expected that since the tail is pretty pulled in.

I've had a Volcom day bag for years that was gifted to me that I used for day use as well as airline trips. I could squeeze 2 boards in when I needed to. THey don't regularly make them anymore.

A friend asked me to to drop a board off with a friend and give the bag back to him whenever it was convenient. It's been 4 years now and it's got one of my boards in it in my garage. It's one of those gray FCS bags with the strip down the middle. It'a too roomy

Last edited:

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
I have found with board sock, day bag, travel bag with towell, rash guard, leashes, and dafins plenty protection no dings (knock on wood) so far.
I try to keep things as light as possible for the baggage guys so the only thing i put in the bag are the boards and bubbles.

My logic: the heavier the bag the more likely it is to end up on the bottom of 10 suitcases.

Of course I could be wrong.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
I try to keep things as light as possible for the baggage guys so the only thing i put in the bag are the boards and bubbles.

My logic: the heavier the bag the more likely it is to end up on the bottom of 10 suitcases.

have applied the same to my snowboard bag and it has gone well for me. A buddy bought a freaking tour coffin for his skis and that thing was destroyed after only a handful of flights. so obtuse to handle, it was thrown and shoved, a lot.

Reactions: bluemarlin04

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
have applied the same to my snowboard bag and it has gone well for me. A buddy bought a freaking tour coffin for his skis and that thing was destroyed after only a handful of flights. so obtuse to handle, it was thrown and shoved, a lot.
I have traveled with my snowboard in a day bag for 5 years now. Tons of flights. Board and bag still good.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009

Agree and find sock, daybag, x2 plus fins, towells, sandals, and dafins not so heavy and all help prevent dings.

JeffRSpicoli

Nep status
Aug 9, 2019
Old thread can't help but add my two cents as I am getting ready for travel:

1. Board goes in CI Snuggie

2. Then into CI Day Bag or any Day bag, but leaning on step one I think is critical, avoid piping, foam etc.

3. Then into the Creatures Quad travel bag.

Pack anything extra you want, but that to me pretty much does it.

50lb weight limit with 4 boards cuts it really close...three boards no brainer.

Reactions: slipped_disc

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Old thread can't help but add my two cents as I am getting ready for travel:

1. Board goes in CI Snuggie

2. Then into CI Day Bag or any Day bag, but leaning on step one I think is critical, avoid piping, foam etc.

3. Then into the Creatures Quad travel bag.

Pack anything extra you want, but that to me pretty much does it.

50lb weight limit with 4 boards cuts it really close...three boards no brainer.
Thing is a heavy board bag sucks for you and the baggage people.
Because it's heavy it's way more likely to get placed on the bottom with 100 other items on top.

A) pack only your boards in the bag.
B) stuff the bag with bubble wrap

Just my 2 cents YMMV

Reactions: Duffy LaCoronilla

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
I have a DaKine that has lasted for years that works really well. Not sure if they're still making them.
See, and I have a newer Dakine one with the reflective outside that the wax is always melted on warm summer days by the time I take it out for the first surf..??..

Reactions: PRCD

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
See, and I have a newer Dakine one with the reflective outside that the wax is always melted on warm summer days by the time I take it out for the first surf..??..

The best thing I've found by far is to put a reflective sun shade up in your windshield.

Reactions: sdsrfr

slipped_disc

Billy Hamilton status
Jun 27, 2019
Here's my method. Pack the top and bottom boards into day bags. The middle boards go into a sock or a super light day bag. Nose and tails of coffin stuffed with bubble wrap, towels or some sort of padding.

If going somewhere cold, wetsuits laid on top and bottom of bag.