Reflective board bags - very few manufacturers making them?

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
See, and I have a newer Dakine one with the reflective outside that the wax is always melted on warm summer days by the time I take it out for the first surf..??..

The best thing I've found by far is to put a reflective sun shade up in your windshield.
That's because the boardbags sold by most manufacturers like DaKine are fake "reflective" i.e. just a metallic grey color.

They don't keep your stuff any cooler.

Here's an actual reflective bag that Ive used for some years now. Keeps my board cool as a cucumber. Very well made product.

Seems like most of the foilboard bags are made like this too, foe obvious reasons.

Reactions: npsp

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Here's my method. Pack the top and bottom boards into day bags. The middle boards go into a sock or a super light day bag. Nose and tails of coffin stuffed with bubble wrap, towels or some sort of padding.

If going somewhere cold, wetsuits laid on top and bottom of bag.
I bubble wrap the entire board and stick it in a slightly oversized day bag. As mentioned earlier, heavy bags get put on the bottom and are generally treated like sh!t.

One board in a day bag is going to put on top of the pile every time.

I have a double bag in case I fly with more than one board. Usually though I just look at the forecast for the location and pick a board that cover it. 90% of the time I travel for surf I only use one board regardless of how many I’ve brought.

trifish

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
I watch my bags get unloaded each trip. They are loading/unloading so fast they don't have time to think. They go straight from the plane to the cart. If yours is the first one off, you will be at the bottom. Next one off will be tossed on top of yours...etc. There isn't time for them to be mindful of sorting. Pad with pool noodles & bubble wrap no matter what if you care about your boards. I'm not trusting that guys are using common sense loading because I haven't seen it. I just assume they are going to fk me.

*BTW I still really like the Curve Armourdillo travel bags for day use. Beefy bags that last for a good price.

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
I travel with 2 boards max both in day bags inside a creatures of leisure double. No extra foam or padding. The Creatures bags are light themselves and I only put the minimal amount of extra stuff in the bag (leashes, wetsuit, fins, towel). Keeps things light for me and the baggage handlers and have had good luck with this method for the past several years of traveling.

First time I ever traveled, back in the days of glass ons. I went overboard with extra padding and wrap and my board got snapped in half anyway. It was liberating as now I do the minimal and it works out.

money4coffeeman

Gerry Lopez status
Mar 31, 2005
I travel with 2 boards max both in day bags inside a creatures of leisure double. No extra foam or padding. The Creatures bags are light themselves and I only put the minimal amount of extra stuff in the bag (leashes, wetsuit, fins, towel). Keeps things light for me and the baggage handlers and have had good luck with this method for the past several years of traveling.

First time I ever traveled, back in the days of glass ons. I went overboard with extra padding and wrap and my board got snapped in half anyway. It was liberating as now I do the minimal and it works out.
Me too. This is the way.
The day bags are good too for daily use once you get there, especially if the boards are getting loaded on/off boats or in/out of vehicles.
My next trip I'm gonna try something different. Grabbed a cheap used coffin, decent cheap used board and one of mine that's getting older. Take it all just one way and Leave it all for the guides when I'm done.

Last edited: