Reflective board bags - very few manufacturers making them?

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Been using one of these for the past year

Highly recommended.

Pretty incredible how cool it keeps my board when it's sitting below the glass of my hatchback in the sun. Would do wonders for a board transported on the roof.

So why don't more manufacturers make them?

Pretty much all the bags out there are dark colored or have the fake grey "reflective" (that is really just grey colored) material.

Keeping a board from cooking is key for longevity.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
agree they are effective. the issue I've had with all of them (prolite) is the thin reflective layer starts cracking and peeling eventually (<couple years) after pretty minimal use and normal wear n tear.
I don't understand why so many bags are black or dark- don't they just cook the board??
I like the grey fcs ones with the vent strip down the center. keeps em fairly cool, even if it's not true reflective.

Reactions: motosurf and Aruka

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
Until a few years ago FCS made relatively cheap, basic all white bags that I like. I try to swoop them up when they pop up on CL. Definitely keep my boards noticeably cooler than all the dark colored bags. Is it just a fashion thing? People think dark colored bags look better?

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
I have a DaKine that has lasted for years that works really well. Not sure if they're still making them.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Until a few years ago FCS made relatively cheap, basic all white bags that I like. I try to swoop them up when they pop up on CL. Definitely keep my boards noticeably cooler than all the dark colored bags. Is it just a fashion thing? People think dark colored bags look better?
those are fine, and I have a couple for the bigger boards I don't take out much. but I won't buy a bag that doesn't have venting... this seems like a no brainer to me also

doc_flavonoid

Michael Peterson status
Dec 27, 2019
agree they are effective. the issue I've had with all of them (prolite) is the thin reflective layer starts cracking and peeling eventually (<couple years) after pretty minimal use and normal wear n tear.
I don't understand why so many bags are black or dark- don't they just cook the board??
I like the grey fcs ones with the vent strip down the center. keeps em fairly cool, even if it's not true reflective.
almost. i have an one of those grey fcs bags. they used a black interior on fn thing. epic fail. bag cooks.

that creatures grey reflective on their 10mil bags works good

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
those are fine, and I have a couple for the bigger boards I don't take out much. but I won't buy a bag that doesn't have venting... this seems like a no brainer to me also
I don't disagree, but I just leave the zipper slightly open at one end and that does the trick.

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
Ha! Well yesterday when I brought my new bag home (prolite session for $40!), I sheathed my chosen stick into the bag laying on the ground. Completely forgot to zip it before I picked it up, sending it tail first straight into concrete. Pretty barbaric.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
this might belong in the "what's up with" thread, but what's up with so many of the multi-board travel bags being all black? if there is a feature that is paramount, aside from adequate padding to protect the boards en route, it would be that the bag not be of a dark color, let alone black.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Been using one of these for the past year

Highly recommended.

Pretty incredible how cool it keeps my board when it's sitting below the glass of my hatchback in the sun. Would do wonders for a board transported on the roof.

So why don't more manufacturers make them?

Pretty much all the bags out there are dark colored or have the fake grey "reflective" (that is really just grey colored) material.

Keeping a board from cooking is key for longevity.
Use them for all my boards and keeps my Stretch CFT cool at beach while bag is fully exposed to sun. Also have sessions double travel bag keeps eps boards cool in tropical settings.

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
I'll bet your wax still melts when it's in direct summer sunlight in the back of a truck or on the beach. Mine does with a white insulated DaKine bag.

And yes I'd be willing to bet any reflecting coating like that is flakey long term.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
this might belong in the "what's up with" thread, but what's up with so many of the multi-board travel bags being all black? if there is a feature that is paramount, aside from adequate padding to protect the boards en route, it would be that the bag not be of a dark color, let alone black.
I dont get it. I picture them baking in the hot tropical sun on an airport luggage cart on the tarmac.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
I'll bet your wax still melts when it's in direct summer sunlight in the back of a truck or on the beach. Mine does with a white insulated DaKine bag.

And yes I'd be willing to bet any reflecting coating like that is flakey long term.
Nope nope and nope never had it melt in prolite.

Reactions: casa_mugrienta

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
Nope nope and nope never had it melt in prolite.
Which one are you using for days at the beach?

doc_flavonoid

Michael Peterson status
Dec 27, 2019
this and why so farkn wide. both prolite and fcs are cut with like a 25" ass end

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Can we get some erBB approved bags with links?

in need of a 2x boar alt/fish day bag, ideally for 5’8 and shorter hipster sticks.

I have an old creatures dual bag that I quite enjoy. It’s got the white on the inside, silver on the bottom but still melts the wax if I leave it in the truck w/ shell. it’s the perfect size for hpsb 5’10 to 6’3 and hasnt failed me yet. almost like this one but with the silver on the bottom, newest ones are murdered out in black. https://www.creatures-usa.com/collections/boardcovers/products/double-shortboard-cover