Pyzel Mini Ghost

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
Thanks fellas, Ghost is a no brainer for the good days but thinking more about those average-fun days, was set on a mini-ghost til I felt up a phantom, now torn
tbh i think they would both cover a very similar range. i went with the mini ghost bc the foam distribution packed more into a shorter package, and i'm on the heavy side relative to my height. i'm riding a 5'10 squash mini ghost at 190# and where i surf it never barrels. i'd probably go with a stock 5'11 phantom if i were to order one. the rail on a phantom feels knifier to me. rail on my mini ghost is pretty full.

Last edited:

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
So, I stopped in at Pyzel Oside today to fondle some boars. Told them my “ghost is really too HP for the spots I surf when it’s OH” deal, and that it doesn’t connect the steep sections through the slopey-er sections well. Said I was looking at a 6’2-6’4 Phantom or maybe MiniGhost to handle the slower parts of the OH wave better. He dismissed the Phantom as a stepdown to the ghost but said the mini ghost would be good for that. He said it should scale up better than phantom for OH waves (stock sizes only up to 6’2). Felt up the 6’1 RT and it felt really good, but thinking I would want another inch or two in length… that’s what she said. Maybe add a stringered XTR one to the wishlist for next winter.

The guy in the shop was really helpful and had ridden all the boars I asked about back home in Oahu.

Last edited:

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
So, I stopped in at Pyzel Oside today to fondle some boars. Told them my “ghost is really too HP for the spots I surf when it’s OH” deal, and that it doesn’t connect the steep sections through the slopey-er sections well. Said I was looking at a 6’2-6’4 Phantom or maybe MiniGhost to handle the slower parts of the OH wave better. He dismissed the Phantom as a stepdown to the ghost but said the mini ghost would be good for that. He said it should scale up better than phantom for OH waves (stock sizes only up to 6’2). Felt up the 6’1 RT and it felt really good, but thinking I would want another inch or two in length… that’s what she said. Maybe add a stringered XTR one to the wishlist for next winter.

The guy in the shop was really helpful and had ridden all the boars I asked about back home in Oahu.
try sample my 5'10 first

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Have ridden @tedshred5 5’10 MG squashtail a couple times (with JJF lrg sides and med center fin). I’d probably need a 6’0 or 6’1. Has a familiar feel reminiscent of 80’s-90’s (pre-KS glass slipper) thrusters with modern improvements. Super fun boar, highly recommend. Would be a great DD for SD waves...
If only I could get off the twin fins.

trifish

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
Have you ridden a Pyzalien? Very easy to go from Ghost to Pyzalien and back.

I'd be curious to hear comparisons between the Pyzalien and Mini Ghost.
That's one thing I've always liked with his boards..they swap out really easily. I had that whole ghost family at one point (gremlin, shadow, phantom, ghost). Honestly probably was doing my best surfing than because they all worked well together with very little adjustment when switching up. It was a family of boards, so It made sense I guess, but still didn't think it would be as seamless as it was. I usually waste waves hoping on and off stuff on most.

Reactions: SD_Dan and oeste858

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
Just got my 5'9 in the mail. Missed it for a few days without being able to sign for the package. Interesting shape. Kind of reminds me of the short round / uber driver. Pretty stubby and chunky with more or less an HPSB tail. Hope it rides better than the short round or uber driver though as I didn't love either of those boards.

I will say that the rails and foil is more full than I would have expected so this may be the kind of board you want to feel up before YOLOing. It does look pretty fun and I expect it to go pretty well in small, snappy waves or bigger open-faced slopey surf. I do expect it to go better than the short round / uber driver as it's quite a bit more narrow.

Going to be bringing it on a trip (I think) to El Salvador and will post a prelim review once I've had a chance to get it on a few waves.

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
Just got my 5'9 in the mail. Missed it for a few days without being able to sign for the package. Interesting shape. Kind of reminds me of the short round / uber driver. Pretty stubby and chunky with more or less an HPSB tail. Hope it rides better than the short round or uber driver though as I didn't love either of those boards.

I will say that the rails and foil is more full than I would have expected so this may be the kind of board you want to feel up before YOLOing. It does look pretty fun and I expect it to go pretty well in small, snappy waves or bigger open-faced slopey surf. I do expect it to go better than the short round / uber driver as it's quite a bit more narrow.

Going to be bringing it on a trip (I think) to El Salvador and will post a prelim review once I've had a chance to get it on a few waves.
also planning on taking mine to El Sal, along with a fish of some variety

frontsidegrab

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 4, 2014
Pyzel, the original ghost is one of my all time favorites...does the mini ghost carry that same feel down to daily driver conditions-within reason- or is it it's own deal?