Pyzel Mini Ghost

Aug 30, 2020
hex.com
Would love to run a Mini Ghost vs Pyz2 test day. Average to decent rights, chest hight to just OH. Please :)
I took a P2 and an MG rnd tail to Nicaragua for a month in July this year..The MG is a tank for any barrel you can paddle it into. Think rocker, thick and narrow.... and short.. The P2 is flatter, wider, with less rocker for flatter, less heavy waves.. P2 can take a big powerful wave, but I wouldn't get it for that, it's best for small to a little OH flatter waves. The MG on the other hand loves a steep wall, and dies when the wave goes flat. A better surfer and the squash tail could remedy that. but in general, I would say, the P2 for California and anywhere when its not spitting. and the MG anywhere before a step up on good days in france/nicagragua/bali. P2 goes everywhere with me for a couple years now... I'll always have one. It's the board to use 80% of the time. The MG we'll see, I think I need some more length to glide into bigger and heavier waves earlier. so i'm going to try a regular ghost next time.

Last edited:

parkiteric

Nep status
Jul 3, 2010
I took a P2 and an MG rnd tail to Nicaragua for a month in July this year..The MG is a tank for any barrel you can paddle it into. Think rocker, thick and narrow.... and short.. The P2 is flatter, wider, with less rocker for flatter, less heavy waves.. P2 can take a big powerful wave, but I wouldn't get it for that, it's best for small to a little OH flatter waves. The MG on the other hand loves a steep wall, and dies when the wave goes flat. A better surfer and the squash tail could remedy that. but in general, I would say, the P2 for California and anywhere when its not spitting. and the MG anywhere before a step up on good days in france/nicagragua/bali. P2 goes everywhere with me for a couple years now... I'll always have one. It's the board to use 80% of the time. The MG we'll see, I think I need some more length to glide into bigger and heavier waves earlier. so i'm going to try a regular ghost next time.
Mahaloz for saving me $900. I thought I wanted an MG

j_mac

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 16, 2020
I think a MG in close to everyday shortboard dims would make a pretty fun/awesome HPSB alternative. Who knows if it would work like that but I'd venture that it would for SH - HH+.

View attachment 140568
Love it! I have tinkered with this as well. I am glad that their website allows for this. I have considered a slightly stretched, narrower version in a roundtail ( 5' 7"x18.75"x2.5"). I have almost purchased this numerous times. Now that you bring it up, I am hoping Jon may comment on slight stretch/narrower version, as I am very curious how it will go. Jon mentioned that he tends to surf a 18.75"-19" wide board, so this might be in the realm of reasonable.

Reactions: MathDebater

Pyzelsurfboards

OTF status
Jul 14, 2015
Visit site
Love it! I have tinkered with this as well. I am glad that their website allows for this. I have considered a slightly stretched, narrower version in a roundtail ( 5' 7"x18.75"x2.5"). I have almost purchased this numerous times. Now that you bring it up, I am hoping Jon may comment on slight stretch/narrower version, as I am very curious how it will go. Jon mentioned that he tends to surf a 18.75"-19" wide board, so this might be in the realm of reasonable.
If you want a stretched out version of the Mini Ghost you are pretty much looking at a regular Ghost outline and rocker, but with much chunkier rails and a beak nose (which adds even more thickness through the front 1/2 of the board). The difference in volume between a 5"11 Ghost and a Mini Ghost with exact same dims is over 2 liters more foam in the MG, which is why you can ride a MG a lot shorter than a "normal" Ghost and still be able to paddle it. I am attaching a screen shot of a cross section mid way through with a MG and Ghost overlapped that really illustrates the difference in the rails.

Attachments

j_mac

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 16, 2020
If you want a stretched out version of the Mini Ghost you are pretty much looking at a regular Ghost outline and rocker, but with much chunkier rails and a beak nose (which adds even more thickness through the front 1/2 of the board). The difference in volume between a 5"11 Ghost and a Mini Ghost with exact same dims is over 2 liters more foam in the MG, which is why you can ride a MG a lot shorter than a "normal" Ghost and still be able to paddle it. I am attaching a screen shot of a cross section mid way through with a MG and Ghost overlapped that really illustrates the difference in the rails.
Thanks Jon! Appreciate the quick response, I overstated the "stretch" part - it is a more of a nudge staying closer to the MG realm than the Ghost.

I found the 5' 6" x19" squash MG took some effort to get it going. I definitely preferred the nimbleness/responsiveness of the 5' 5"x18.75 MG squash, but the volume/dims were too low/small for consistent fun.

The 5' 6" is the right volume, though I tend to prefer boards sub 19" wide. Recognizing that adjusting 1" in length allows for 0.25" adjustment in width to maintain the same volume with the same thickness. I thought a slight modification of 5' 6" could be the difference, by going 5' 7" (inch longer) x 18.75" (0.25" narrower), whereas a Ghost in similar stock volume is 5' 10"x19".

Thanks again -Cheers!

Reactions: Pyzelsurfboards