Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.

ULUSURFER

Gerry Lopez status
Jan 2, 2007
Australia
Visit site
What's the latest? Getting the itch to get back down there.
just was down there for 3 week. They have all the walls complete for the first story. They are waiting on the concrete truck for 2 weeks now to pour the columns so they can start on the second floor.

Got waves at Jobos and at inches in patillas. Good trip but hotter than the surface of the sun and I just missed out on the waves that are upcoming.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
Someone just posted this image of Wilderness on one of the PR Surfing groups. Some incentive to get down there.
I have a love/hate relationship with this spot. Nearly drowned there in 1997 on a day like pictured below. I've had some of the best sessions of my life there and also some of the most frustrating due to the crowd.

1695559303354.png

Blair Markham, longboard, Wilderness, Puerto Rico. 1991
Foto Tony Arruza

ULUSURFER

Gerry Lopez status
Jan 2, 2007
Australia
Visit site
What's the latest? Getting the itch to get back down there.
Resized_Resized_20230920_083951.jpg

First story walls and structural columns completed, electrical pedestal (should have electrical utilities this week), on friday they are pouring the ceiling/roof and then starting on the second story walls. The mold of the ceiling/floor is complete and they are almost done with the rebar lattice. All the first story electrical and plumbing tubes are connected. Id say they are making pretty fast progress!!!

Ranga

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 31, 2008
Someone just posted this image of Wilderness on one of the PR Surfing groups. Some incentive to get down there.
I have a love/hate relationship with this spot. Nearly drowned there in 1997 on a day like pictured below. I've had some of the best sessions of my life there and also some of the most frustrating due to the crowd.

View attachment 163325

Blair Markham, longboard, Wilderness, Puerto Rico. 1991
Foto Tony Arruza
It's a mission at that size -- I got cleaned up like 25 times and caught two waves.

Reactions: Subway

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
It's a mission at that size -- I got cleaned up like 25 times and caught two waves.
Used to read tales in surf magazines of the horizon in Hawaii going dark as a massive set approached. Wilderness is the only place I've experienced something like that. It will lull you to sleep during a 15 minute lull only to come to life and try to kill you for the next ten minutes.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
at the end of a 4 hour Wilderness session, maybe double overhead on the sets and a heavy sweep- I missed the key hole trying to exit. My arms were totally gassed and I could not paddle out or up-current to attempt the key hole again. Ended up climbing the coral shelf at the waters edge, down near that random old cement wall just south of the break, and walked back up through the field to the car park. Not really scary, but got pretty cut up.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
at the end of a 4 hour Wilderness session, maybe double overhead on the sets and a heavy sweep- I missed the key hole trying to exit. My arms were totally gassed and I could not paddle out or up-current to attempt the key hole again. Ended up climbing the coral shelf at the waters edge, down near that random old cement wall just south of the break, and walked back up through the field to the car park. Not really scary, but got pretty cut up.
There is actually a really good spot to exit on big days just to the right side of that concrete wall. Its pretty deep in that zone. You just have to time it a little as you approach.

If you miss this spot your best bet is to go out and around the next peak and come in at the sandy beach between it and the next peak. There are a couple of sand spits as you go south to Wishing Well.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
i vaguely recall somebody telling me about that exit "near the concrete wall" , so i aimed for it, but i exited upstream. It wasn't terrible, but i literally had to climb the coral wall, very carefully, whilst being battered by whitewater

I love surfing :jamon:

• Love
Reactions: SurfFuerteventura

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
My very first PR trip in the 90s I was surfing a big day at Marias and caught a long right. Got on the inside and was getting swept down and couldn't figure out where to get out. Its really shallow in some spots along that shelf. I ended up going all the way to Tres Palms and riding a wave there and coming in. My one and only wave at that spot.

Ranga

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 31, 2008
That keyhole is bullsh!t

ULUSURFER

Gerry Lopez status
Jan 2, 2007
Australia
Visit site
Resized_Resized_20231023_161626.jpgResized_Resized_20231023_161644.jpg

Latest updates are that the walls for the second story are done. Friday should be pouring the concrete for the structural columns and then the following week plastering and the roof will be worked on

20W doubted this would ever happen and thought he would be married before completion if i ever completed! Im hoping to have it all completed around Feb/March

Ranga

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 31, 2008
View attachment 165619View attachment 165621

Latest updates are that the walls for the second story are done. Friday should be pouring the concrete for the structural columns and then the following week plastering and the roof will be worked on

20W doubted this would ever happen and thought he would be married before completion if i ever completed! Im hoping to have it all completed around Feb/March
Epic!!!!!

Oceanslide

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2008
Oceanside, CA
View attachment 165619View attachment 165621

So rad. Look forward to updates. Re 20w…we’re all holding our breath, so think you’re safe!

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
I'm in the process of lining up a trip to PR next month. I gave my son the option to go to the North Shore and he wants to do PR again instead. I think he might be blinded by the success of our last trip not realizing that last year we lucked into the best surf I've ever caught down there in many trips. Looks like Ulu's new house won't be ready in time. :) This trip I think I'm going to rent a house at Ramey Base on the bluff over top of Surfer's Beach so we can be an easy drive to anywhere.
On a side note, it appears that Spirit has abandoned flying into Aguadilla. Will probably fly American non-stop to San Juan.

Last edited: