Potential Move to Puerto Rico

Ranga

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 31, 2008
Report back on your accommodation score -- may go in Feb

Jun 4, 2019
On a side note, it appears that Spirit has abandoned flying into Aguadilla. Will probably fly American non-stop to San Juan.
United still flying direct to BQN out of Newark, JetBlue direct to BQN out of JFK, if either are options for you.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
United still flying direct to BQN out of Newark, JetBlue direct to BQN out of JFK, if either are options for you.
I did not realize United went there. Jet Blue is just a no due to their board bag policies. I'm on United's website right now and can't make heads or tales out of their board bag policies. With American and even Spirit I know exactly what my cost for boards will be and know exactly how to pack. United's website leaves me baffled what the cost would be and how to pack. Won't book a flight without clearly knowing that. :(
In a perfect world I fly with a 7-foot coffin bag stuffed with as many boards as I can fit. Last trip I had four boards in there and weighed in at 49 pounds just under the 50 pound limit.

Jun 4, 2019
@GromsDad Depending on the overall dimensions, your 7' bag might be ok on United:

Surfboards, wakeboards and paddleboards
You can bring surfboards, wakeboards and paddleboards if they’re packed in board bags and:

Weigh less than 100 pounds (45.3 kg)
115 total inches (length + width + height) if you’re flying on United
Measure less than 80 inches (203 cm) if you’re flying on United Express
The skeg or fin must be removed or padded.
If you’re flying to or from California, we’ll waive oversized bag charges for up to two of these items. If you’re connecting or have a layover in California, you aren’t eligible for this benefit.

If your flight has an extra bag limit, surfboards, wakeboards and paddleboards aren’t accepted, unless you’re flying to Costa Rica.

Cost will depend on if you're paying for baggage in advance or at the gate, and potentially on the flight. Usually the first checked bag is $30 each way, though.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
American out of Jacksonville to San Juan review:

JAX-MIA
1. Watched luggage loaders use middle of my boardbag to break the fall of bags they were pulling off a stack on top of tail of boardbag. (thank you, big pieces of foam on deck of top board).
2. Wasted 20 minutes getting "paperwork" correct
3. Wasted 10 minutes after "paperwork" was correct waiting for human to come down jet way and re-open cabin door so they could add fuel
4. Valuably allocated 10 minutes adding fuel after re-opening cabin door. Note fuel was not pumped into cabin door, rather it was pumped into fuel tank.
5. Overhead bins were really small on the American Express Connect or whatever.

MIA-SJU
1. Did not use cattle prod keeping people in Group 1824798073149872349817498 from trying to board when Concierge Key, Active Military, Handicapped travelers, and First/Business group was called however verbal instructions were issued and incompletely followed but people got turned around before their boarding pass was scanned lolololol.

SJU-MIA
1. Had to pass some stupid ag inspection where someone puts a blue sticker on your bags - leaving the small closed island ecosystem for the return to the Pole to Pole continental landmass.
2. Did not use cattle prod keeping people in Group 1824798073149872349817498 from trying to board when Concierge Key, Active Military, Handicapped travelers, and First/Business group was called however verbal instructions were issued and incompletely followed but people got turned around before their boarding pass was scanned lolololol.

MIA-JAX
1. Overhead bins were really small on the American Express Connect or whatever.

Boards miraculously weren't dinged in either direction, and my poly Rad Ripper I would be worried about dinging it if it was raining hard.
Priority tag was honored both ways. Got bag pretty quick in SJU and it was literally the second bag on the belt in Jacksonville.

All in all some stress with making the connections in MIA but can't complain.

Mar 19, 2013
I did not realize United went there. Jet Blue is just a no due to their board bag policies. I'm on United's website right now and can't make heads or tales out of their board bag policies. With American and even Spirit I know exactly what my cost for boards will be and know exactly how to pack. United's website leaves me baffled what the cost would be and how to pack. Won't book a flight without clearly knowing that. :(
In a perfect world I fly with a 7-foot coffin bag stuffed with as many boards as I can fit. Last trip I had four boards in there and weighed in at 49 pounds just under the 50 pound limit.
Went to PR in December, flew United. I had a 7' board bag with three boards in it. Cost $35 each way, but it was my only bag, stuffed with all my clothes and gear.
Flew JetBlue last year and got murdered by the bag fees, opened the bag and charged $125 per board each way (3 boards). Bag cost more than my seat, ill never fly them again with boards. Side note, someone died on the plane on the trip home, received a $125 credit for a future flight which just expired.
Fly direct to BQN if possible, the flight times are tough but beats the drive to and from San Juan.

Reactions: GromsDad

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
Went to PR in December, flew United. I had a 7' board bag with three boards in it. Cost $35 each way, but it was my only bag, stuffed with all my clothes and gear.
Flew JetBlue last year and got murdered by the bag fees, opened the bag and charged $125 per board each way (3 boards). Bag cost more than my seat, ill never fly them again with boards. Side note, someone died on the plane on the trip home, received a $125 credit for a future flight which just expired.
Fly direct to BQN if possible, the flight times are tough but beats the drive to and from San Juan.
Thanks for that info. I may give it a shot. I'm actually planning on staying within walking distance of the BQN airport this time. Last year I stayed in a super nice beachfront condo complex near Jobos but almost every surf was somewhere else like Wildo and beyond. My goal this trip is to be a central drive to all the breaks.

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
I loved my trip tp PR but for a surf trip, it pales in comparison to my Mex trips. Something about surfing with just you and your crew is appealing. Starts to fire up in March. Early and late season is the best.

• Haha
Reactions: manbearpig

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
I loved my trip tp PR but for a surf trip, it pales in comparison to my Mex trips. Something about surfing with just you and your crew is appealing. Starts to fire up in March. Early and late season is the best.
I have a Love/Hate relationship with Puerto Rico. Its like golf where you hit just enough good shots to keep you coming back. I've had a session every trip where the crowd was so frustrating that I swore I'd never go back. Every trip though I seem to get that one magic session. Last year it was a session in front of the ruins on your way into Wilderness. Just my son and I and nobody else within hundreds of yards sharing 4-foot overhead glassy walls from first light until the trades killed it hours later. Year before it was a four hour glassy barrelfest at Wishing Well with just two other surfers on that piece of reef. Year before that a slightly less mobbed than usual session at overhead Domes where I just had great luck in getting a bunch of the better set waves that lined up from end to end..

menobrah

Gerry Lopez status
Feb 28, 2021
I have a Love/Hate relationship with Puerto Rico. Its like golf where you hit just enough good shots to keep you coming back. I've had a session every trip where the crowd was so frustrating that I swore I'd never go back. Every trip though I seem to get that one magic session. Last year it was a session in front of the ruins on your way into Wilderness. Just my son and I and nobody else within hundreds of yards sharing 4-foot overhead glassy walls from first light until the trades killed it hours later. Year before it was a four hour glassy barrelfest at Wishing Well with just two other surfers on that piece of reef. Year before that a slightly less mobbed than usual session at overhead Domes where I just had great luck in getting a bunch of the better set waves that lined up from end to end..
I have had no luck at domes ever...love the wave, hate the crowd. Almost all floridians absolutely mobbing that spot when I have been there. I almost always end up at wilderness - have stayed in rincon and stayed in Jobos over the years...Next trip Im going to stay by the airport like you said

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
I have had no luck at domes ever...love the wave, hate the crowd. Almost all floridians absolutely mobbing that spot when I have been there. I almost always end up at wilderness - have stayed in rincon and stayed in Jobos over the years...Next trip Im going to stay by the airport like you said
Its amazing (not in a good way) how crowded it is now compared to when I first went down there in the late 90s.

menobrah

Gerry Lopez status
Feb 28, 2021
Its amazing (not in a good way) how crowded it is now compared to when I first went down there in the late 90s.
I went down a few times from 02- 09 and just surfed around Rincon...from 09 on Rincon became little Ft. Lauderdale and I started going Jobos ways and almost always ending up at wilderness... Has been a while since I last visited - pre covid the crowds were nuts cant imagine it now..Funny enough even in the 2000's I couldn't catch a break at domes lol.

ULUSURFER

Gerry Lopez status
Jan 2, 2007
Australia
Visit site
I'm in the process of lining up a trip to PR next month. I gave my son the option to go to the North Shore and he wants to do PR again instead. I think he might be blinded by the success of our last trip not realizing that last year we lucked into the best surf I've ever caught down there in many trips. Looks like Ulu's new house won't be ready in time. :) This trip I think I'm going to rent a house at Ramey Base on the bluff over top of Surfer's Beach so we can be an easy drive to anywhere.
On a side note, it appears that Spirit has abandoned flying into Aguadilla. Will probably fly American non-stop to San Juan.
The house is coming along probably done in march or april. Check out the walk through video! Im living down here full time now so hit me up if you make it down!

ULUSURFER

Gerry Lopez status
Jan 2, 2007
Australia
Visit site
Wow. That is one heavily built house.
I should be down there 1st or 2nd week of February for about 10 days.
Fully armored! Don’t want to get crushed by an earthquake or blown over by a hurricane…stoked and surprised to see I had ocean view from the guest rooms and the terrace attached to the master.

Let me know when you’re around I’m always free before 12 and am in Aguadilla always down for a surf/breakfast/construction check

waves should pickup in the next few days and then a pretty good size swell next week. I missed the last swell as I was down in

Reactions: GromsDad