Poast your strenf training program

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Yeah. He never specified high bar, but I should've figured that out with this pic at the beginning of the vid. Is that high bar? Or neck?

View attachment 155023
That's high bar but it looks like she's holding the bar rather than letting it rest on her upper traps. If you try to use a lot of hip drive in the high bar, you will just drive the bar into your neck as your back angle changes. Rather, you need to be more upright and drive up more with the quads. The low bar allows the use of a lot of hip drive.

I'm not going to re-hash the physics of the two squats but just know that I'm right and VonMeister is wrong.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
That's high bar but it looks like she's holding the bar rather than letting it rest on her upper traps. If you try to use a lot of hip drive in the high bar, you will just drive the bar into your neck as your back angle changes. Rather, you need to be more upright and drive up more with the quads. The low bar allows the use of a lot of hip drive.

I'm not going to re-hash the physics of the two squats but just know that I'm right and VonMeister is wrong.
SO high for quads, low for hips...and hams? I've been getting my quads doing forward barbell lunges. Those give me a cardio work out too.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
SO high for quads, low for hips...and hams? I've been getting my quads doing forward barbell lunges. Those give me a cardio work out too.
I suppose this depends on anthropometry (body segment lengths) but generally yes. My quads never grew using the low bar squat and have grown much more using a high bar squat or safety squat - the latter moves the load even more onto your QUADZ by shifting the weight even more anteriorly facilitating a more-upright torso like the front squat.

Comparing the quads of olympic weightlifters and powerlifters should tell you everything you need to know about which muscles are doing the most work in each squat, respectively.
1685208730295.png1685208955807.png

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
These videos are fascinating not only because of what Dr. Mike says but also how little you can know and still be employed as a celebrity bodybuilding coach. Imagine people in Hollywood faking it why I never.

I suspect a huge chunk of Bradley Cooper's bodybuilding success given the time frame over which he gained the weight was due to vitamin S.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
@Havoc this video is for you and I'm almost sure this is your problem. The deadlift has a low stimulus:fatigue ratio - it has very diffuse muscle growth stimulus and very high fatigue. You have to train it if you're a powerlifter. You don't otherwise, such as if you're a surfer. Or you can cut back on sets or modify it.

Reactions: Havoc

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
while there’s a place for strength training and deadlifts saved Nathan’s life bro for the average schmuck work capacity imo pays the bills bro. when it comes down to it what makes the difference bw you not making it out before another set rolls in on a solid day??? Besides his wrestling there’s a reason no one wants to fight this dude and that’s the fact that when your gas tank is empty his isn’t

Last edited:

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
I'm increasingly convinced almost all back pain is actually hip pain. Immobile glutes and hips also cause your hamstrings and low back - the anatomy above and below your glutes - to tighten.

Also do glute bridges and clam shells slowly controlling the eccentric.

Reactions: grapedrink and Mr J

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
I'm increasingly convinced almost all back pain is actually hip pain. Immobile glutes and hips also cause your hamstrings and low back - the anatomy above and below your glutes - to tighten.

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
To spot a faker, you need to know something and most people don't know anything nor want to. For example, a 600 lb squat is extremely rare even D1 football. The only way you'd know that is training yourself.
I think most D1 players, outside the skill positions could deadlift 600 pounds in a fairly short period of time. It's more of developing the skillset because they pretty fucking strong to begin with.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
I think most D1 players, outside the skill positions could deadlift 600 pounds in a fairly short period of time. It's more of developing the skillset because they pretty fucking strong to begin with.
It's not a matter of whether they could but whether they have. Watch that interview with Rip and Mike Israetel.

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia

that's maybe too broad a judgement for everyone, but increasing hip mobility may help some people with back problems. It was part of the prescribed fix up which allowed me to overcome back pain, however I was given a program that tackled it from so many angles its impossible for me to know how much help if any a particular therapy was having.

If the hips and rear upper pelvis is tight then when we inadvertently get into an awkward position/movement then the lower back is more likely to get pulled and tweaked instead of the hips taking up the movement.

I don't know how much help that first inward hip rotation he shows is, but the one 5 mins in seems sensible and would stretch the gluteus minimus, although I have a lying on the back stretch for that. The squat right down with feet flat on the floor at 7-20 is good because it will loosen the rear upper pelvis area meaning positions like that will put less strain on the lower back. I do them every time I put/retrieve the keys in my lockbox under my car when I go surfing. I'm really liking jefferson curls for that region - I reckon the safest way to do those is with the legs locked dead straight for maximum stretch on the rear pelvis and minimum strain on the lower back.

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
Did you know it is extremely rare for someone to have an issue with mobility. Like so rare it's almost impossible. Seriously....you should find someone who has a joint that has been described as mobility compromised and tell them to relax while you manually move it through its full range of motion. Then you can charge for being a miracle healer.

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
Throwing a 20lb medicine ball around the yard is tiring
If you can curl it or press it up over your head, your 20 pound bag of wasted time isn't doing anything. Good job measuring the effectiveness of a workout by the most useless metrics available to man....personal cardiovascular limitations and body temp. :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Did you know it is extremely rare for someone to have an issue with mobility. Like so rare it's almost impossible. Seriously....you should find someone who has a joint that has been described as mobility compromised and tell them to relax while you manually move it through its full range of motion. Then you can charge for being a miracle healer.
That's what we're talking about when we talk about "mobility problems" - being unable to relax muscles to move them through their full ROM. Make a fist and try to move your wrist - it's difficult. Now imagine being unable to relax the fist - that's a mobility problem.

Reactions: grapedrink