Poast your strenf training program

averagejoe

Miki Dora status
May 28, 2008
So far away
www.mardawg.com
I stole these ideas from a Huberman podcast.

I’ll lift really light weights and high reps. And I’ll limit myself to 3-5 exercises and only three sets when I’m surfing a decent amount that week.

for example, I’ll deadlift only 100 pounds but at 15-20 reps. I like this approach because you can carefully monitor the burn since each lift is light. And I don’t get sore as a result.
What are you trying to achieve by doing sets of 15-20? Endurance?

slipped_disc

Billy Hamilton status
Jun 27, 2019
What are you trying to achieve by doing sets of 15-20? Endurance?
1) primarily Avoiding too much strain/weight on my low back. 2) I find that I can tune into the right amount of reps and completely avoid DOMS since the work is lighter at each rep.

And lastly it works for me. I’ve gained a few pounds of muscle. No soreness. I dig it.

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
1) primarily Avoiding too much strain/weight on my low back. 2) I find that I can tune into the right amount of reps and completely avoid DOMS since the work is lighter at each rep.

And lastly it works for me. I’ve gained a few pounds of muscle. No soreness. I dig it.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
First time back in the gym in about a month thanks to a nagging shoulder since mid February. All weights kept low.

Static hang 3 x for as long as I could hold it to warm up.
Lat pull down 6 sets of 10
Tricep pushdown 5 sets of 15
Straight Arm Pulldown 5 sets of 20
Plate raises and plate presses
Dumbell Curls.
Static hang 3 x for as long as I could hold it.
Abdominal leg raises 2 sets to exhaustion with a break in between.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Paul Horn and I have been two ships passing in the night for much of our lives: https://medium.com/@hornstrength/guardrails-40b3876dbebc
For his love of the barbell I would substitute my love of the surf. Yesterday was a wind swell wave fest (actually all week was ). I don’t love the barbell. The barbell for me is like work- something I have to do so I can play.

After the last back flare up I’ve been mostly doing what Slipped Disc is doing- light weights at high reps. Actually I do 3-4 warm up sets (x5) then one working set (x5). (I used to do 3x5 and over time- weeks if not months- work my way to 3x10 before adding more weight. I’ve paused that for the moment.) After the one work set I do back off sets and do them (light weights) to near failure. Only get very slight doms in the upper body. Still get hamstring doms though. It’s them squats.

OHP, bent over rows, squats, forward lunges and deadlifts.

Reactions: slipped_disc

slipped_disc

Billy Hamilton status
Jun 27, 2019
He’s weak so he doesn’t have a useful opinion on strength training. You have to be strong before commenting on strength.
Depends on your definition of strength I suppose. He's an incredibly strong surfer, which is what I'm interested in over bench pressing and squats.

slipped_disc

Billy Hamilton status
Jun 27, 2019
@PRCD what part of his fitness plan do you take issue with? he talks about low weight and high reps; staying lean and limber for the benefit of surfing; and the importance of leg strength for turns.

Last edited:

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
@PRCD what part of his fitness plan do you take issue with? he talks about low weight and high reps; staying lean and limber for the benefit of surfing; and the importance of leg strength for turns.
All of it. He doesn’t know anything about strength. I can tell by looking at him. He‘s offering general physical preparation for weekend warriors. His program should be called “How to Stop Being Sedentary.”

This thread is about strenf programs, not weakness programs.

slipped_disc

Billy Hamilton status
Jun 27, 2019
All of it. He doesn’t know anything about strength. I can tell by looking at him. He‘s offering general physical preparation for weekend warriors. His program should be called “How to Stop Being Sedentary.”

This thread is about strenf programs, not weakness programs.
Haha. True, this is a strenf thread... but it's in a surfing forum. So you gotta wonder, what are surfers (who are still ripping) doing to stay strong. More often than not... they're not even lifting weights.

Sam Hammer's approach is nice counterpoint to the oft-prescribed high-weight, low rep approach that's commonly discussed here. More than one way to skin a cat. Science here if you like.

Not looking to debate anything on a Friday night –– and I don't know jack sh!t about the multitude of strength training programs out in the world. But I do pay attention to what pro surfers are doing, and many of them aren't on intense weight lifting protocols.

averagejoe

Miki Dora status
May 28, 2008
So far away
www.mardawg.com
He’s weak so he doesn’t have a useful opinion on strength training. You have to be strong before commenting on strength.
I watched the video. That guy is full of sh!t. Doing high reps doesn’t make your muscles leaner. You either build muscle or you don’t. Diet is what makes you lean.

He’s just like everyone else - making money by telling you what you want to hear

The point of lifting weights is to get stronger and build muscle. It doesn’t really have anything to so with surfing. Being strong and having muscle mass is better for longevity and quality of life as you age than surfing is.

Surfing is such a circle jerk

slipped_disc

Billy Hamilton status
Jun 27, 2019
I watched the video. That guy is full of sh!t. Doing high reps doesn’t make your muscles leaner. You either build muscle or you don’t. Diet is what makes you lean.

He’s just like everyone else - making money by telling you what you want to hear

The point of lifting weights is to get stronger and build muscle. It doesn’t really have anything to so with surfing. Being strong and having muscle mass is better for longevity and quality of life as you age than surfing is.

I agree that light weights high reps don’t make lean muscles. But I do think that protocol lowers your chance of injury while lifting, which is the dumbest way to hurt yourself when you’re training for the sake of surfing.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020

Excellent. Thank you.

I read Paul Horn’s book on fat loss and it illustrates how easy it is to get outside your area of expertise. He gives diet programs with excess protein and the results of his fat loss down to 10% be are going to be unacceptable to most trainees - he lost 10 lbs of muscle or an entire year’s worth of gainz.

Reactions: averagejoe