Poast your strenf training program

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
In the past 3 months, I've picked up a few things for the home gym. The first was the EliteFTS SS bar. Good purchase. It moves the center of gravity down and anteriorly allowing you to keep your torso more upright and load the quads better. I just bought a 10 degree slant board to load the quads moar.

I also just bought these so I can change the grip on pullups and do T-bar rows with my landmine. What a great invention :jamon:

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
In the past 3 months, I've picked up a few things for the home gym. The first was the EliteFTS SS bar. Good purchase. It moves the center of gravity down and anteriorly allowing you to keep your torso more upright and load the quads better. I just bought a 10 degree slant board to load the quads moar.

I also just bought these so I can change the grip on pullups and do T-bar rows with my landmine. What a great invention :jamon:
how often r u surging? do u lift day b4 surge?

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
how often r u surging? do u lift day b4 surge?
I've barely been surging at all - lots of travel, rain, and poor waves the past 3 months. Also, the freeway developed a huge sinkhole that had to be repaired.

Usually I lift afterward.

Did you stop using HLM?

Reactions: One-Off and Havoc

Havoc

May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
I've barely been surging at all - lots of travel, rain, and poor waves the past 3 months. Also, the freeway developed a huge sinkhole that had to be repaired.

Usually I lift afterward.

Did you stop using HLM?
stopped training completely. new leadership duties at work sapped last bit of time away. may start this summer 1-2 days a week. just get too gassed surfing and training at the same time.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
stopped training completely. new leadership duties at work sapped last bit of time away. may start this summer 1-2 days a week. just get too gassed surfing and training at the same time.
Rack pulls, I time per week, 1 work set, 5 reps.

I am completely banged up, my back and leg are super fucked up, yet I was going up 5 pounds per week for months until I got covid last week.

I wasn't doing anymore because I have hip issues when I do leg work. Everything messes up my hip. I do leg extensions and even that feels wonky.

Then I thought, set the bar at knee level and see what happens.

I just discovery I can also do a curtsy squat on my bad leg too. So I am going to get on that.

It's weird how the human body just finds a way.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
I played basketball with my kids the other night and my oldest wanted to see my vertical b/c he saw another dominant player in his league who looked like he lifted weights and could boost. I could graze the rim at 6' and 210 lbs. This is not a remarkable vertical, but I never came close to this before weight training. Strength really is the most general sport adaptation. The specifics - Knees over Toes Guy's programs - are all about getting extra mobility or strength at the end range of motion and improving the end range of motion. Now he wants to train.

Here's a second data point:

Reactions: Random Guy

sussle

Oct 11, 2009
If it makes you feel any better, one surf session equals one trip to the gym. It's the rule - not my rule, mind you - but it's the rule.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
If it makes you feel any better, one surf session equals one trip to the gym. It's the rule - not my rule, mind you - but it's the rule.
Actually, I think the rule is -one good turn can make your whole day (see your avatar). That was Mickey Munoz's reply to the question of how he deals with today's crowds. I try to remember that rule. I will also say to myself when paddling out to a crowded Malibu line up, "If I get three waves down the point I will be satisfied." I always end up getting more.

Reactions: Havoc

sussle

Oct 11, 2009
Actually, I think the rule is -one good turn can make your whole day (see your avatar). That was Mickey Munoz's reply to the question of how he deals with today's crowds. I try to remember that rule. I will also say to myself when paddling out to a crowded Malibu line up, "If I get three waves down the point I will be satisfied." I always end up getting more.
that's actually true - one good turn does indeed make your whole day and it's the last thing you see in your mind, before you fall asleep that night:waving:

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Suboptimal (play stupid games, win stupid prizes):

Not sure what I just watched there.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020

Also, break at the knees and hips at the same time. Keep the weight over the center of your foot. Don't do the low bar good morning taught earlier ITT.

Reactions: encladd and One-Off

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W

Also, break at the knees and hips at the same time. Keep the weight over the center of your foot. Don't do the low bar good morning taught earlier ITT.
Tip three seems/looks very different than than this. I've used these tips, eyes on the ground few feet in front , pushing up the lower back. "Don't lift the chest."

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Tip three seems/looks very different than than this. I've used these tips, eyes on the ground few feet in front , pushing up the lower back. "Don't lift the chest."

That's a low bar squat. It's a different squat than the high bar squat. The cue to look down is to ensure that you drive up with the hips. You're not pushing up the lower back, you're driving up the hips.

Reactions: encladd

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
That's a low bar squat. It's a different squat than the high bar squat. The cue to look down is to ensure that you drive up with the hips. You're not pushing up the lower back, you're driving up the hips.
Yeah. He never specified high bar, but I should've figured that out with this pic at the beginning of the vid. Is that high bar? Or neck?

Screenshot 2023-05-27 at 10.14.35 AM.png